Discworld

How was your day - Après Spring Fling

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: How was your day - Après Spring Fling

Postby Sandra » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 am

I have found a plus - dentist yesterday - tooth canal. I have dental phobia. Normally three factors that combine badly.

I didn't have ANY pain and didn't freak.

Downside - I hadn't felt the infection forming, but the tooth is now packed with antibiotics (while we wait out the blood supply dying off). Bonus as it isn't oral antibiotics there's no 'don't drink' instructions for xmas!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby steeljam » Wed Dec 19, 2018 07:25 pm

Trying to warm up again.
Spent a second day house-sitting my son's house while he has new windows and door fitted.
Trying to keep warm while the wind is whistling through the large gaps is not easy.
Especially, as the guys doing the work were also having to put up with the cold. Thankfully, the rain held back.
The biggest problem was what to do; I could read my book or do some Japanese homework.
There are a lot of things I could be doing, but they required me to be at home.
Back tomorrow while they finish fitting the door.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Sandra » Fri Dec 21, 2018 03:37 pm

i think Terry missed a new 'fairy' in Hogfather...

Namely the little blighter that keeps hiding one of my gloves.

Just one, when I give up on that pair it steals another one.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Darren » Fri Dec 21, 2018 04:04 pm

And of course the coup de gras of when you throw the remaining one away, a couple of days afterwards it sneaks back and returns the pair of it that it stole...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby annebn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 01:57 pm

I think the Glove Hiding Fairy is probably quite closely related to the Eater of Socks.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby steeljam » Tue Jan 08, 2019 08:06 pm

I think the hat eater lives on public transport - I have lost two hats on buses in the past three months.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 09, 2019 08:28 pm

We definitely have a Glove Hiding Fairy.

We also seem to have a Germ Spreading Fairy. We've spent the last couple of months getting one thing after another. It doesn't help that we've had spring-like weather through December and January - in Michigan!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Basement » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 am

Hooray! Finally allowed to work from home at my new job!

Boo! Got to go to greater Manchester this afternoon for a meeting tomorrow morning. I'd rather not...
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby phazedout » Fri Feb 01, 2019 05:33 am

Basement wrote:Hooray! Finally allowed to work from home at my new job!

Boo! Got to go to greater Manchester this afternoon for a meeting tomorrow morning. I'd rather not...

I am now seeking lesser Manchester, for comparative purposes.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby phalarope » Sat Mar 02, 2019 08:32 pm

My town is a tourist town, impossible in summer and half of it closed in the winter (try to get a nice meal out in January - March, grrrr). Not content with the ordinary hordes of tourists, one or another organization is always trying to add another 'festival' to the calendar (recent additions = running festival, daffodil festival, wine festival). This year we got 1st Annual Chocolate Festival, today, the first Saturday in March. Cloudy and raw, as to be expected in early March; not pleasant for the outdoor chocolate crawl venue staff, nor the patrons. At least it wasn't blowing a gale. So I figured I might actually have a chance at scoring some delicious choccy treats without having to battle clots of people spilling out into the main street (only street) through town. And I did! Raspberry chocolate mousse, peanut butter and chocolate bread pudding, chocolate cheesecake lollipop, chocolate raspberry truffles, chocolate and cinnamon truffles, white chocolate lollipop, chocolate almond bark, and I quit there before I passed out from a sugar crash. Ten bucks. Deal! And, to pass the time between buying tix and the venues opening, I did a little shopping since most shops run deep discount sales in late winter. Scored a designer t-shirt for 60% off, some crab salsa, and a cow creamer for Mate, to console him after wrestling with Inland Revenue (Internal Revenue Service - Trump's tax 'cut' resulted in our OWING more than twice what we received as a refund last year :shock: :roll: ). AND the only waterfront restaurant in town that's open now was handing out 10% off coupons, so I may go in for a nice brunch tomorrow. :thumbl:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Kelshandra » Sun Mar 03, 2019 08:54 am

Oooh, a chocolate festival is awesome even if you are battling festival fatigue.

My day/week/month have all been hot. It's been 37C today and I've spent most of it indoors- well except for a trip to a nearby town (30 min away) for a market, only to find it wasn't on. Boo.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby annebn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 08:40 pm

Was at the opera the evening and saw The Flying Dutchman. It was very good. Can't stop humming the sailors choir.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table