Discworld

New game- caption that image

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: New game- caption that image

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 04:49 pm

OK - found it on Chris Hadfield's (Comm of ISS) Twitter page, but sadly without any word as to origin. However someone replied with this image - but again, without saying where they got it from, annoyingly!

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby SANEAlex » Sun Mar 25, 2018 04:51 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
SANEAlex wrote:
Was there a legit caption with that picture where you found it? I don't have many pics of my grandfather on my dads side but its just possible that could be him in the suit. He was in the merchant navy and then involved in some interesting salvage operations IIRC including one of the early uses of underwater robots. It would be interesting if that was a pic of my granddad Captain Jack Carlton.
Good heavens, that's your granddad?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: What are the odds of that?!

It's an image I got off Twitter - IIRC it was from one of Prof Brian Cox's tweets. I'll have a dig about Twitter and see if I can find it & report back.

Its looks like it could be my grandad but I have not seen many pictures of him so not sure if it is. It would have been nice if there had been a caption commenting who it actually was to be certain. I have a book in which he was mentioned where he was involved in the deepest salvage of gold from the sea *1 it was for the government *2 recovering bars of gold that were lost in the seconded world war and used for the national war debts.

*1 at the time
*2 unfortunately not part of my inheritance but i did get a copy of the book "Gold from the sea" and also Mao's little red book but thats another story :wink:
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby SANEAlex » Sun Mar 25, 2018 04:56 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:OK - found it on Chris Hadfield's (Comm of ISS) Twitter page, but sadly without any word as to origin. However someone replied with this image - but again, without saying where they got it from, annoyingly!

Oh well thanks for looking that guy in the new image does not look like any relative i know but the 1st picture might have been as also looked a little bit like my dad who i remember much better from the small bit of face shown in the suit .

Edited to add but that one does look like he could be a relative of Chris Hadfield's or is it just the moustache? :) :wink: It would be interesting in a degrees of separation way if our relatives were mates on a ship many moons ago. One of the family stories i did hear about my grandad was that he said if he had to live somewhere else other that England it would either be Canada or New Zealand both places he saw in his travels.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 07:16 pm

SANEAlex wrote:Oh well thanks for looking that guy in the new image does not look like any relative i know but the 1st picture might have been as also looked a little bit like my dad who i remember much better from the small bit of face shown in the suit .

Edited to add but that one does look like he could be a relative of Chris Hadfield's or is it just the moustache? :) :wink: It would be interesting in a degrees of separation way if our relatives were mates on a ship many moons ago. One of the family stories i did hear about my grandad was that he said if he had to live somewhere else other that England it would either be Canada or New Zealand both places he saw in his travels.
OK - found a website that says the photo dates from 1924. Would that be too early for your granddad?:
https://superretro.com/old-school-diving-suit-1924-possibly-designed-by-chester-e-macduffee/
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby SANEAlex » Sun Mar 25, 2018 08:39 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
SANEAlex wrote:Oh well thanks for looking that guy in the new image does not look like any relative i know but the 1st picture might have been as also looked a little bit like my dad who i remember much better from the small bit of face shown in the suit .

OK - found a website that says the photo dates from 1924. Would that be too early for your granddad?:
https://superretro.com/old-school-diving-suit-1924-possibly-designed-by-chester-e-macduffee/

My grandad would have been alive in 1924 then & just about plausible that it could have been him though i suspect he might have looked a little younger, but with your helpful hints and a bit more digging it seems that Chester E Macduffee is the one i thought might have been Chris Hadfield's relative and the one i thought might have been my grandad turns out to be Explorer O.E. Gandy according to this website below and from 1907 so unless he is one of my great grandfathers I'm off the mark.

http://allthatsinteresting.com/vintage- ... g-photos#2
SANEAlex

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 09:41 pm

SANEAlex wrote:My grandad would have been alive in 1924 then & just about plausible that it could have been him though i suspect he might have looked a little younger, but with your helpful hints and a bit more digging it seems that Chester E Macduffee is the one i thought might have been Chris Hadfield's relative and the one i thought might have been my grandad turns out to be Explorer O.E. Gandy according to this website below and from 1907 so unless he is one of my great grandfathers I'm off the mark.

http://allthatsinteresting.com/vintage- ... g-photos#2

Hah! They had Minions in 1908! :lol: Who knew! :wink:

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Tue Mar 27, 2018 08:51 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:OK - found it on Chris Hadfield's (Comm of ISS) Twitter page, but sadly without any word as to origin. However someone replied with this image - but again, without saying where they got it from, annoyingly!

First female prototype of IRON LADY.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Tue May 22, 2018 03:52 pm

You want me to chew baccer?
But I'm too young to smoke!
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

Oook!

The SECOND the human lets go, I'm going all Wookie on her! Rawwwwar!
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 am

Oook!

I work for a car-parts-cataloging place, and this image comes up during my final checks
Untitled.png

You all know what's the first thing I think of, right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

What I am seeing is the feline version of BFF...

Bloody Furious Forever
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Darren » Tue Sep 25, 2018 02:09 pm

Schroedinger finally had his answer - neither dead nor alive, just bloody furious...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Sep 25, 2018 04:43 pm

Drop the tuna, and back away slowly.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table