Discworld

Let's celebrate age!

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Postby ladyramkin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:26 pm

I think we'd better stop hi-jacking the music thread :(
ladyramkin

Postby 15goingon5 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:27 pm

I've sufferd them all (four year old sister with all the kids channels) they all suck. God I hate kids programs almost as much as american programmes aimed at teenagers
when life can't get worse you can only look forward. when life can't get better you gotta look out
15goingon5

Location: some times Manchester some times Colne. always england

Postby alohura » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:29 pm

I love Spongebob.
Teletubbies drove me insane when I watched it with my cousin.
I loved Rosie and Jim.
"You little (such a one who, while wearing a copper nose ring, stands in a footbath atop Mount Raruaruaha during a heavy thunderstorm and shouts that Alohura, Goddess of Lightning, has the facial features of a diseased uloruaha root.')"
alohura

Location: Small town in Northamptonshire that nobody has ever heard of.

Postby Addicted » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:30 pm

:lol: Good idea - I'm off now anyways!

So back to the music thread efore I go - one thing I noticed about remakes is there's always a lot of controvercy about modern remakes!!

For example, as I'm still resonably young I first heard 'Heaven' by DJ Sammy and 'Wish you were here' sung by Wyclef Jean and preferred both versions to their older versions but I can guarantee that an older forum member would prefer 'Heaven' by Bryan Adams and 'Wish you were here' by Pink Floyd. Strange one that.
Addicted

Re: Let's celebrate age!

Postby Gaspode » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:38 pm

rentawitch wrote:I was on the tube tonigh listening to my MP3 and got into conversation with a young Asian guy opposite,. He let me listen to his RnB and I gave him a bit of Cream (Crossroads) then Pink Floyd, (wish you were here)
He reckons Thriller is the best album ever and it does, apparently have greatest world-wide sales but I cited Sergeant Pepper, Wish you Were here and Afternath and others which pre-dated his experience.

For reference my first gig was The Who and the Spencer Davis Group in 1964 at the Regal Edmontan.

I feel sorry for those kids who are not even aware of Elvis and Frank Sinatra and Buddy Holly.

Who else feels they are lucky, being that bit older and experiencing some of the older bands?

Oh brings back memories, and as its still my birthday her goes.

Bunked off school to go and see The Sex Pistols, Sham 69, Tom Robinson :!: some others at the Town & Country sometime in 75-76. Saw Madness filming the young ones in Brentford. Went god knows everywhere to see Genesis. And nearly fell in the canal at work when Led Zep were practising in a warehouse on the ind est next to the factory I worked in.

Still never saw the Beatles, The Who and the Stones, but said Hi to Ringo Starr once. He ignored me :(
Gaspode

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:43 am

Ava loves the Beatles and Elvis. I play them in the car. She also likes the Wiggles, they actually aren't bad, and the Doodlebops, which make me want to drive an icepick into my ears.

Do you guys have Charlie and Lola over there?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Statsman » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:45 am

Older music is defintely better. You have such classics as The Beatles, Zepellin, Purple etc.

Having said that, who's not going to say that some of the stuff out now will be counted as classics in 30 years.

Having been playing CDs a lot over the last couple of weeks whilst off, Megan has started singing some of the songs (GnR & Bowling for Soup). Bearing in mind what I like, I'm quite happy about that.
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby Colin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 06:44 am

Hmmmm ... interesting stuff.

I guess each generation throws it's own heroes up the pop charts, to coin a phrase ... I have a very strong bond with the popular music of my younger days ... Elvis, Buddy, Stones, Who and the immortal Dylan (who is still right at the top, IMO) ... Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Stranglers, Cure, Talking Heads, thie list goes on.

I have also been well into Blues and Jazz ... and Classical ... JS Bach & Mozart ... *sublime* stuff.

Of today's 'newcomers' I think Green Day have joined the all-time greats list, and Kaiser Chiefs are off to a great start.

Michael Jackson has never made it passed my outer defences

Trouble is, 99% of the stuff out there is over-hyped total crap ... and it has always been so ...
Colin

Postby worthyee » Wed Aug 17, 2005 07:27 am

Many years ago, in fact more than I care to admit to! :wink: I was privileged to see Procal Harum perform an un announced impromptu gig in a small night club. Whilst holidaying in the Isle of Man. God alone knows what they were doing there!
Whadya mean it doesn't add up........!!!!!
worthyee

Postby Doc Brown » Wed Aug 17, 2005 09:28 am

Renta I'm envious of your fun in the sixties, I started going to a few concerts in the late seventies but had my moments

AC/DC with both lead singers
Blondie
ABBA (Yup I still think they're brilliant)
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Whitesnake
Rush
Gillan (were brilliant)
Iron Maiden (again both lead singers)
Sammy Hagar
Ozzy Osbourne (yup with the hanging scene but no decapitated animals)
Motorhead and Girlschool
ZZ Top (My favourites)
(I won't mention Reading Rock Festivals or Donnington Monsters of Rock WOW)

Then I went to Uni and saw
Bad Manners (great fun, had a laugh with Buster Bloodvessel in the bar)
A three piece punk bank called Duran Duran (Crap and got worse I believe)
Doctor & the Medics (they were fun)
and too many others to mention

But the best live group I've ever seen were Dumpy's Rusty Nuts a biker band still going strong today.

Yup the oldies are still some of the best, can't wait to see Alice Cooper later this year :D
Doc Brown

Postby dreamkin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 09:42 am

Addicted wrote::oops: I'm 23 and I'm addicted to Spongbob!! And I know a sexy 25yr old that is too!! :lol: :oops:

Re: Kids telly - Tweenies is the only program that I actually like Kaci watching but even in that, one of the character's is a selfish 'orrible girl!!!

Things like Teletubbies + Fimbles just stress me out!! :evil:

I enjoy the Tweenies with my lil brother, buut I think I was Bella when I was younger. The brother is channelling Jake, I swear...
It is said that, if you leave a saucer of milk out for the pictsies, they will break into your cottage and steal everything in your drinks cabinet.
dreamkin

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 17, 2005 02:18 pm

The first band that caught my musical imagination was Emerson, Lake and Palmer. The most long lasting album that I still listen to and it still sounds fresh is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

I was really into early Genesis before Pete Gabriel and Steve Hackett left and the became the [spits] Phil Collins Band :evil:

I love Hendrix and Bob Marley and Camel and all sorts of other things.

More modern, I am addicted to Bjork. I loved her music from the very first time I heard Venus as a Boy and I've got everything by her since.

Oddly enough, listening to ELP's version of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, got me into classical music - that is where my heart lies now. :)
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Mooresey » Wed Aug 17, 2005 02:26 pm

28 and I like old rock, its good stuff, I also like the new stuff as well.
Mooresey

Postby Silverfox » Wed Aug 17, 2005 03:08 pm

Being a Northern girl I saw a lot of the 60's Liverpool and Manchester bands when they were just starting out, most memorable of course the Beatles who I saw in concert in Preston, I've also seen live Pink Floyd, the Moody Blues, The Eagles and Status Quo.

The show Buddy is brilliant I've seen it about 6 times and I will go again if it's on locally, also if you ever get the chance to see The Forbidden Planet or From a Jack to a King they too are both fantastic shows.
Everyday.
I think about dying.
About disease, starvation,
violence, terrorism, war,
the end of the world.
It helps keep my mind off things.
R. McGough
Silverfox

Postby rentawitch » Wed Aug 17, 2005 03:55 pm

Return to the Forbidden Planet is awesome. Tis my next favourite after the Rocky Horror Show!
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table