Discworld

Let's celebrate age!

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Postby Doc Brown » Wed Aug 17, 2005 04:43 pm

Rocky Horror is an experience everyone should have :D
Doc Brown

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:11 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Rocky Horror is an experience everyone should have :D
Hey, get Ceriphinz to post some of the photos he has of Richard O'Brien (the bald guy, right?) opening a statue of himself in New Zealand. Richard is from New Zealand and his home town of Hamilton commissioned a statue of him in his Riff Raff costume. :)
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby rentawitch » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:17 pm

wonderful, would love to see that!
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby Silmaril » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:20 pm

As a 19 year old, I have to say I am quite jealous of those who got to experience Queen, Sinatra and Elvis first hand. But on the plus side, I didn't have to live through the cold war, have never experienced a proper economic depression, and have more equal opportunities than any previous generation of women anywhere. And I will get to experience the future first hand . . . there's bound to be some good stuff coming up!
DeborahAJB My website.
Silmaril

Postby chrispenycate » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:40 pm

Yawns- spent two years touring with Yes, toured with Joe Cocker, Ritchie Havens, Festivals with just about anybody who was anybody in jazz, synth work with Floyd, on stage with Hendrix, Traffic, Blind Faith, PAd the first ever concert of Queen, Rolling Stones in the studio- yes, of course I'm showing off- but you can understand why I get off on the older stuff, rather than those who come round now with a synth score needing an autotune permanently on the vocal mic.
Yes, there was a lot of bad stuff around (and I PAd/recorded no small quantity of that, too) but we were changing the world, the adrenaline flew and no-one needed to sleep…
Of course my musical tastes got stuck in the sixties and early seventies :)
chrispenycate

Postby Colin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:52 pm

Silmaril wrote: And I will get to experience the future first hand . . . there's bound to be some good stuff coming up!

What a coincidence!

That's what I thought 42 years ago ... :?
Colin

Postby Silmaril » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:54 pm

And here you are, having enjoyed decades of Terry Pratchett, and you are now a member of a wonderful community! And I'm sure there are other good things in your life as well!

(I've been drinking coffee, and it's my day off tomorrow-so please excuse the over-cheerful attitude, I'm just happy today!)
DeborahAJB My website.
Silmaril

Postby Addicted » Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:57 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Rocky Horror is an experience everyone should have :D

Yep - watching Rocky Horror at midnight on a Friday night in an old cinema while a group of actors perform below the screen, while holding your brown paper bag in which you'll find a stale slice of toast, some rice and a few other select bits and bobs! :D Nothing beats that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Addicted

Postby Colin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 06:09 pm

Silmaril wrote:And here you are, having enjoyed decades of Terry Pratchett, and you are now a member of a wonderful community! And I'm sure there are other good things in your life as well!

(I've been drinking coffee, and it's my day off tomorrow-so please excuse the over-cheerful attitude, I'm just happy today!)

:D

Life *is* full of good things ... and bad things sometimes happen to good people. That's my experience ... indeed, that's life ...
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Let's Celebrate Age!

Postby Vellaunie » Wed Aug 17, 2005 06:12 pm

My kids grew with the music (loudly) of Hendrix, The Doors, Ramones, AC/DC, Lynrd Skynrd, Floyd and many other 60's/70's greats -and it never did them any harm - just look at Vimsey (but not too closely)! Music today is ok, some of it excellent, but where would it be without all the great bands and writers, and possilbly mind altering substances? Age is cool, but can we not wrinkle so easily, please. Maybe we should stay away from the colourfast wash and fold nicely before putting away at night....
Oh, my God!!
Vellaunie

Postby Dragonlady » Wed Aug 17, 2005 06:27 pm

I like to think that i have quite an eclectic taste in music - I like old rock, new rock, jive, swing, blues, stuff from now, stuff I grew up listening too, stuff, my parents grew up listening to.

As with most things in life, music (for me, anyway) is about how I'm feeling at the time i listen to it. F'rinstance, usually, if Small is not around, I listen to the Darkness and the Scissor Sisters. However, when he was away it just annoyed me.

I know Colin disagree's, but I think that nearly all music has it's place. If it makes you feel good about life, and inspires you to do stuff then it can't be bad.

I can't remember who said it, but dance like no-one is watching and sing like no-one is listening.

Works for me! :wink:
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby Statsman » Wed Aug 17, 2005 06:59 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Renta I'm envious of your fun in the sixties, I started going to a few concerts in the late seventies but had my moments

AC/DC with both lead singers
Blondie
ABBA (Yup I still think they're brilliant)
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Whitesnake
Rush
Gillan (were brilliant)
Iron Maiden (again both lead singers)
Sammy Hagar
Ozzy Osbourne (yup with the hanging scene but no decapitated animals)
Motorhead and Girlschool
ZZ Top (My favourites)
(I won't mention Reading Rock Festivals or Donnington Monsters of Rock WOW)

Then I went to Uni and saw
Bad Manners (great fun, had a laugh with Buster Bloodvessel in the bar)
A three piece punk bank called Duran Duran (Crap and got worse I believe)
Doctor & the Medics (they were fun)
and too many others to mention

But the best live group I've ever seen were Dumpy's Rusty Nuts a biker band still going strong today.

Yup the oldies are still some of the best, can't wait to see Alice Cooper later this year :D

Wow, what a list Doc. Envious of some of those - would love to have seen Purple in their heyday etc. Seen them now but nto quite the same.

Best I've seen is Dr Feelgood - local band & always played a Xmas gig. Lead singers dead now & I don't think they're doing as much. :?
Yes it will be in this brown envelope, I know it will.... Oh maybe not
Statsman

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 17, 2005 07:04 pm

at the gym I go to they have heart rate monitors which suggest your optimum heart rate.They list it for 30 and 40 year olds!

What do I chose I am a young 36...........
“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.”
Penfold

Postby chudds » Wed Aug 17, 2005 07:21 pm

Live Gigs seen
Knebworth twice
pink floyd backed by from memory The Steve Miller Band, Captain Beefheart, Roy Harper, Linda Lewis. (1976)

Led Zeppelin, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes,The New Commander Cody Band, Fairport Convention ,Chas and Dave. (1979)

The Rolling Stones, 10cc, Hot Tuna, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren, The Don Harrison Band (1975)

then at hammersmith YES, Rick Wakeman, Tangerine Dream and Gong
Wembley Mike Oldfield, Queen, Inxs

and some more but it starts to get hazy
In a world of changing values...........how much is something worth?
chudds

Postby Zephyr » Wed Aug 17, 2005 07:34 pm

Dragonlady wrote:I can't remember who said it, but dance like no-one is watching and sing like no-one is listening.

Works for me! :wink:

“ Work like you don’t need the money, love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching.” --- Satchel Paige

Then there's one listed Anonymous (which is probably a variation of the above)...

"Work as if you have no money. Love as if you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. And live everyday as if it were your last"

Here's a nice one:

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away.” – Henry David Thoreau

:D
Zephyr

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table