Discworld

Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Aug 06, 2020 03:40 pm

EXCEPT that late last night they sent an email saying the whole first quarter WILL be on online! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: What a relief!
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Thu Aug 06, 2020 06:13 pm

Our town is having a kick in numbers - Adrian is no longer officially 'shielding' but that is what we are doing from this evening.

Oh look 8am start at the market again :( reduced chances of meeting morons :)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Excellent Nonny! Sometimes sanity and sense prevails. :thumbr:

I know what you mean about early shopping to avoid the morons, Sandra. Sometimes I flip it and go quite late in the evening, too. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Aug 07, 2020 04:09 pm

Well, one of the history teachers actually died from COVID a few weeks ago, and I bet that put some sense into the school administration.

Our Gov is getting praised for getting our state under control, but heck it's easy to have half the cases when you're doing half the testing (which they are). So it's full of shit. AND he did doodly f*ing squat. He only said he wouldn't stop local governments from making their own mandates, which they immediately did. And HE didn't push out the school dates, the individual school districts did. Failure at the top, and local governments have to take over since there isn't any proper leadership. So don't let the news fool you, our governor sucks.

A colleague of mine at work was expressing frustration at the school pushout, fretting over what the kids will lose by not having a normal school year. I didn't argue with her, because I don't like to fight out sensitive topics with work ppl, but I was thinking, well, losing friends, family, or teachers to it would also have lasting effects on them, and coping with falling behind is much easier when you are alive. And honestly I think the kids will bounce back and be just fine in the future. There may be a little bit of struggling right after, but I believe they can cope.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Fri Aug 07, 2020 06:03 pm

One of the problems is the recent doctrine that each day of missed school damages education.

Now that may be true (I got shifted between schools so much I don't even know how many I attended) but what is known is that grief definitely causes problems with education. At some point someone will have to quantify these two damages and wok out how many days off equal the loss of a close family member.

And that doesn't address how many children are going to become carers due to post viral malaise - and that does ruin their childhood.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Aug 07, 2020 06:58 pm

Thanks Sandra. :D

Also, the kids are doing work online, so it's not entirely missed. It's just a less ideal option for some kids.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 08, 2020 09:05 pm

Nonny, how awful that one of the teachers died. And, right there with you. I'm saying the same thing to people. Missing the face to face is surmountable, missing the socialization is surmountable - heck even an entire missed year of school is surmountable. Dead is not. What ARE people thinking?? Someone posted on a community FB group that the kids could deal with going to school with all of the safety measures because they're so resilient. Um... they're so resilient that they'll also deal with a full virtual year of learning just fine? :roll: No matter what the schools choose to do, our girls are not doing face to face. It's not safe.
Catch-up

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Aug 09, 2020 04:40 am

Catch-up, you are totally right. I'd rather my kids simply be backed up a year than, you know, have anybody die.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Squigglyx » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Andrea and I both had a week of work last week, so we decided to have a couple of days in Liverpool. booked an hotel room right on the waterfront at Albert Dock and had 2 wonderful days with everyone keeping tp the social distancing rules in and around the hotel and in restaurants and bars.
However our superb week came to an abrupt end on the way back to Andrea's on the Friday. Joining onto the M6 from the M58 motorway, there was a lot of traffic and the guy in front was reluctant to pull into the main stream of traffic. I could see a sizeable gap in my wing mirror that both of us could get into. He started to accelerate and looked like he was going for it, so I accelerated also, then he changed his mind and slammed his brakes on. I braked hard ans managed to stop before hitting him, however the car behind me didn't stop in time and ran into the rear of my car.
No injuries and not too much damage, but just the inconvenience of an insurance claim and car off the road for a few days.
This morning, I awoke at Andrea's and had a text from my son back at my house. He had been upstairs on his computer last night when somebody came into the house and stole the play station, he'd called the police and handled everything well and not worth a claim on the house insurance. nothing else taken and no damage anywhere.

Just waiting for disaster #3 to hit now!!!!
Squigglyx

Postby Catch-up » Sun Aug 09, 2020 08:12 pm

So sorry Squiggly! Fingers crossed that there isn't a #3!
Catch-up

Postby phazedout » Mon Aug 31, 2020 06:19 am

So i awoke on friday morning to a message from Essi on whatsapp saying i wasn't avaiable on messenger.
I went to login and.. i'm banned. Faceborg demanded my id and phone number which i supplied, at this point i have zero feedback, ero engagement and no ide what i did wrong.
There's no timeline, and i use messenger mostly to communcate wiht friends worldwide and support poeple in groups like WAd as well as venting and now it's... gone and i don't know if it will ever come back
I will say i'm happy to not spending hours doomscrolling and i'm reading more, but i miss messenger and hav been jumping through hoops to find alternative ways to contact people but hey its just, weird to be off.
Phaze
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Vorlina » Mon Sep 07, 2020 08:24 pm

We miss you too, Phaze!
Vorlina

Postby Pat » Tue Sep 08, 2020 09:18 am

steeljam wrote:Are they Discworld fans? Maybe they would like these masks.

The Josh Kirby masks are very comfortable (even for people with big heads - they do 4 sizes) but it doesn't half look like you've got your nose buried in something from Victoria's Secret...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Tue Sep 08, 2020 06:48 pm

And what's wrong with that? ;)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table