Discworld

Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

Postby Alan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 04:25 pm

Still picking up the pieces from yesterday.
Had to test some devices that were built according to the data pack and no input for either of us who have been doing these for the last seven years.
I don`t know how they managed it,but they managed to mess up every stage of assembly,badly......so badly,i had to dismantle them,rectify and them and then test.
Om only knows what manner of hell awaits them when they have to do this on their own,but,it won`t be my problem *crosses fingers*
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jul 07, 2017 02:50 am

Sandra wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:I was taken aback by how angry this makes me... I was trying so hard to be reasonable and give them the chance to act....... guarantee, there's nothing scarier in the world than me when I'm genuinely angry (as opposed to just annoyed or even really annoyed or extremely annoyed).

It is a sign of good parenting that you are angry about this situation. You have given your child/ren over to people who are legally acting as parents and have the obligation to protect them from harm. That they are not understanding this child's special needs shows that child needs to be with those able to understand and prevent/control his behaviour.

It is never going to be easy to integrate this child into his age group but without properly trained adults in charge he's going to be a risk to other children and himself (not to mention adults taking advantage...). It is so hard to get placements for children who need additional help/understanding and that when they are not in the right placement you know they will only make public acceptance of disabilities go backwards.

Yeah, the poor kid doesn't know what he's doing, and he and all the others were put in a situation they couldn't deal with by adults they trust. Lucky for him our district is well-funded and they are making other arrangements that will better for him and everyone else. It's just really sad that we had to make a huge ruckus in order to get this addressed. I get the impression no one knew what to do and no one wanted to admit they couldn't cope.

Maybe now he'll get the care he really needs.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Fri Aug 25, 2017 06:28 pm

SPIDERS!!!

Not even September and I'm finding Shelob's offspring already.

I am learning far too much about housespiders - this is a standard giant housespider (fastest true spider - I don't count the camel spiders as spiders - they're even nastier to look at!)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Squigglyx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 09:10 pm

At work, we are supposed to have an annual appraisal every year (surprisingly), anyhow, despite continuous badgering, my last actual appraisal was 9 years ago. I've had a succession of line managers since, at least one of whom (Steve) actually prepared my appraisal before he left in 2011. I was informed by another line manager, that Steve had recommended I be promoted from a programmer/analyst grade 3, to a senior programmer grade 1 role, but for various reasons that was never approved/delivered.
However, the following year, there was a complete revamp of all the job descriptions and roles and all the programmer/analyst grades were lumped into one developer role.

I've worked for my current line manager for 4 years now and he eventually prepared my appraisal which was delivered yesterday. All through the meeting, he was commenting on how I was exceeding expected levels for all the various criteria as a developer, I didn't have 1 single negative comment. I was thinking, at last, the recognition that I believe I deserve.....

However, as we get to the final page of the appraisal document, the summary states....

.....Peter is almost ready to take on a senior developer role, the only obstacle is his lack of opportunities to demonstrate his ability in design of a multi-tiered object orientated system.....

I exploded !

I took a half day holiday yesterday afternoon to gather my thoughts and went into work this morning planning to arrange a meeting with the IT director to discuss this. He wasn't available all day, so now I have to wait until Tuesday.

Tonight I have written my first cv in over 25 years and applied for a job as a senior (lead) developer for a finance company in Manchester. Let's see what happens.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby Basement » Wed Aug 30, 2017 02:12 pm

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!! My gods damn manager has gone away on holiday without properly organising the training that is supposed to be happening on the day of his return with a partner company. He hasn't organised a room, or thought of the IT requirements. I sent him an urgent email (we have permission to contact him if it's urgent enough) and the response that I got was that he was expecting someone from the partner company to have organised this. He is the lead on the project that this is part of, I would have thought that he would have checked that this was all good to go instead of assuming it was. Now I'm trying to sort it all out and I'm not sure yet if that is possible.

Also, one of team members for whom I am their line manager is kicking up a ruckus again. This person being someone who, despite said manager saying that he wouldn't force us to employ someone we didn't want, rode roughshod over all objections to hiring this person and did so anyway. And yet again, we're picking up the pieces.

GAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Squigglyx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 08:46 pm

Basement wrote:Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!! My gods damn manager has gone away on holiday without properly organising the training that is supposed to be happening on the day of his return with a partner company. He hasn't organised a room, or thought of the IT requirements. I sent him an urgent email (we have permission to contact him if it's urgent enough) and the response that I got was that he was expecting someone from the partner company to have organised this. He is the lead on the project that this is part of, I would have thought that he would have checked that this was all good to go instead of assuming it was. Now I'm trying to sort it all out and I'm not sure yet if that is possible.

Also, one of team members for whom I am their line manager is kicking up a ruckus again. This person being someone who, despite said manager saying that he wouldn't force us to employ someone we didn't want, rode roughshod over all objections to hiring this person and did so anyway. And yet again, we're picking up the pieces.

GAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Managers! imo, they one thing they don't do well is MANAGE!. We'd all be better off without them :)
Squigglyx

Postby Sandra » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Upside of unemployment - no managers (other than the parrot - I swear she has a clipboard somewhere and I know she can tell the time)

Downside - anyone who sees my CV trys to throw me into managerial positions, I do not emote with other people - why is it not acceptable when I tell people I do not want to be the crappy manager?

I've had enough bad managers to know I don't want to go there...
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 05:42 pm

Been in hiding for a bit due to the events of the last few weeks.
My Job on Commercial Radar finally came to an end,Lincoln came in and were like a bunch of Vultures and stripped the place bare in front of our eyes,i blinked and lost my tools,it was that bad!
Spent a fairly relaxed week supporting the remaining line,between surfing the net and chatting.....
Then came the word,you`re going to your new job tomorrow!!!! *panics*
Started new job,it quickly became clear that i could do the actual testing,i couldn`t handle the walking and standing part of it,i`m carrying a few too many surplus pounds while trying to learn 11 different test gears spread over nearly 100 yards,i was only doing 4 gears and was struggling badly.
Did four days and then there was a pre-booked weeks holiday,which turned into two weeks due to me doing myself a mischief while putting my socks on and requiring some hyper strength painkillers and anti inflamitories from the doctor.
Survived two more weeks of discomfort and then it became clear to all involved that i needed a job with slightly less walking and standing,the company nurse did the behind the scenes work,which i expected to take effect after the bank holiday.
About 45 minutes later,i was ushered away to an office where it was explained that there was another job available and would i like it,got a bit suspicious at this point when an old colleague walked in and handed me the risk assessment folder,oh bugger,i`m going back to the section i`d left seven years earlier.
I`m now doing the same job on the same gear i left in 2010,not sure what to do after the four week trial is over.
Over the bank holiday,i got a message via Faceborg from a relative in Bristol,did i know about my aunt?
She was admitted into hospital with suspected pneumonia and was being kept in a coma to help her breath,at this point i was white hot with rage against those who live very close.and knew,but didn`t bother to tell me direct.
My mood got considerably lower to say the least.
eventually,my e-mail and number are in the hands of great aunt and someone who i know had them in the first place,i`m looking at you elder brother!
Things with her are not looking good,the icu is doing their best but have to cover all the options available.
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Sandra » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 pm

Sounds like you got hit by an avalanche.

I hope 'things' settle (in as many good ways as possible)

I'm off to see the new Wadfest site tomorrow, it's off towards Kings Lynn and it sounds as though the land owner is our sort - anyone got any spare sanity I'll need it...
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Alan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 07:14 pm

Being hit by an avalanche is probably the best description of what it felt like!
Things have settled down a bit,just got to decide if I want to stay or go....
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 08:17 pm

Aunt died this morning :cry:
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Squigglyx » Wed Sep 06, 2017 09:12 pm

Squigglyx wrote:At work, we are supposed to have an annual appraisal every year (surprisingly), anyhow, despite continuous badgering, my last actual appraisal was 9 years ago. I've had a succession of line managers since, at least one of whom (Steve) actually prepared my appraisal before he left in 2011. I was informed by another line manager, that Steve had recommended I be promoted from a programmer/analyst grade 3, to a senior programmer grade 1 role, but for various reasons that was never approved/delivered.
However, the following year, there was a complete revamp of all the job descriptions and roles and all the programmer/analyst grades were lumped into one developer role.

I've worked for my current line manager for 4 years now and he eventually prepared my appraisal which was delivered yesterday. All through the meeting, he was commenting on how I was exceeding expected levels for all the various criteria as a developer, I didn't have 1 single negative comment. I was thinking, at last, the recognition that I believe I deserve.....

However, as we get to the final page of the appraisal document, the summary states....

.....Peter is almost ready to take on a senior developer role, the only obstacle is his lack of opportunities to demonstrate his ability in design of a multi-tiered object orientated system.....

I exploded !

I took a half day holiday yesterday afternoon to gather my thoughts and went into work this morning planning to arrange a meeting with the IT director to discuss this. He wasn't available all day, so now I have to wait until Tuesday.

Tonight I have written my first cv in over 25 years and applied for a job as a senior (lead) developer for a finance company in Manchester. Let's see what happens.

Latest update...
I finally got a chance to see the IT director yesterday and after a long discussion, he has asked me to provide evidence from previous years that demonstrates my ability and backs up my promotion request. I've put together a package which should (imo) do the trick. I have another meeting with him on Friday, so fingers crossed.....
Squigglyx

Postby Basement » Thu Sep 07, 2017 08:34 am

I'm sorry to hear that Alan.

My own personal Arrgh? Looks like I might have 3 drops outs from my cast for The Truth. Smegging wonderful when you only just managed to cast all the parts with the numbers you had to start off with.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby phalarope » Thu Sep 07, 2017 05:29 pm

Everything crossed that can be crossed for you, Pete. Isn't it amazing that management can take advantage of one's expertise for years and then be completely blind to the fact that one has such expertise? One is expected to document one's own expertise, when the employer should be doing it, because X, Y, and Z would not have been accomplished without said expertise. Grrrrrr.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Thu Sep 07, 2017 05:31 pm

Many hugs Alan. And deepest sympathy for your loss.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table