Discworld

Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

Postby steeljam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 05:57 pm

We were due to visit my uncle, her father, last weekend but cancelled due to the COVID increase, he is 87 and isolating.
Then we heard that my niece's partner took his motorcycle out for a last ride before putting it away for the winter and had an accident.
We were told he had had his leg amputated below the knee and was recovering. Then last night I was told he had died. Real shock.
He was wearing a helmet camera and the police cannot understand how the accident happened.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Tue Sep 29, 2020 08:06 pm

How awful, Steve. :cry: My deepest sympathy to you and your family.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Sep 29, 2020 09:21 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that, Steve :cry: :cry:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 10, 2020 06:36 pm

Oh my goodness Steve. What a shock. I am so sorry.
Catch-up

Postby phalarope » Mon Nov 23, 2020 08:33 pm

Small Aaaargh. Just discovered that Tim Minchin has a new CD out. Of course, not available from Amazon US. :roll: Is available from AmazonUK, with a shipping price of £13.44*. :shock: I'm taking a chance on a 3rd party seller for £12.73, total.

*mumble, mumble, highway robbery, mumble mumble
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Pat » Wed Nov 25, 2020 02:10 pm

phalarope wrote:Small Aaaargh. Just discovered that Tim Minchin has a new CD out.

Just gotmy copy. It's not "laugh out loud" funny, but very enjoyable. I especially like "Airport Piano".
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 pm

Well, I broke my staying in the saddle streak. We were cantering towards a jump and at the very last second she decided we were going around instead of over, and I hit the ground. :roll: I somehow always manage to hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. I cracked my helmet, and I haven't had it for a long time. No concussion symptoms so far. Fingers crossed! Just a sore spot on my head and lots of muscles calling in their complaints.
Catch-up

Postby Sandra » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:26 am

Looks like your helmets sacrifice was worth the cost, sounds like a bad fall.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 am

Catch-up wrote:Well, I broke my staying in the saddle streak. We were cantering towards a jump and at the very last second she decided we were going around instead of over, and I hit the ground. :roll: I somehow always manage to hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. I cracked my helmet, and I haven't had it for a long time. No concussion symptoms so far. Fingers crossed! Just a sore spot on my head and lots of muscles calling in their complaints.

The last time I came off was similar, only I went over, he went round and stood there waiting for me with a quizzical 'why did you do that' look on his face
And I am so glad you had that helmet!
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Dec 01, 2020 08:04 pm

Yeah, good thing it was the helmet and not your head! Worth the price.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phazedout » Tue Dec 01, 2020 09:02 pm

i am, in short screwed.

mr boote who's had to fight both inland revenue and the German equivalent may have some sympathy for my current plight

due to the finish revenue bizzarely refusing to accept 1 years tax document despite the consecutive years one being identical and acceptable i owe them 5k

Irish revenue want 2k and my bank wants 5k because of numerous things accrued. Although i own a house mortgage free i cannot equity release form it because it's in another coutnry and sub let. As a result i have to make 3 different payments to different places leaving me with significantly less ti live on than i had when i was an unemployed student in 2013 thorugh 2015

Id start a gofundme but vero would probably tax that too. If i don't sort this in the next 6 weeks it looks like the wedding won't be happening next july
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby phalarope » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:24 am

Really glad you broke your helmet and not your skull, Susanne!!! Gentle healing hugs for your bruises, and fingers crossed for non-concussion!

Alan, that is so utterly crappy. Speaking as a low level government bureaucrat myself, they are in general hideous people. Can they explain WHY your documentation isn't acceptable, and what acceptable replacement would be? I hope you get a favorable resolution SOON!

No real aaaarrrghs here at the moment, except Mate was ill over the entire week of Thanksgiving and the weekend after, sigh.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby I.B.Igor » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:46 pm

Went back to work. Day two I fell out of the van, badly twisted left ankle, very sore right knee, bruised upper right bicep, four inch linear bruise to left shoulder blade.Where I hit the door, which slid open, and my momentum took me out the door, and on to the door edge before I hit the dirt.
My ankle is sore as heck, and the bruising is going from black, blue, to purple.
Utterly battered and bruised. 2020 is sure taking the urine now. :evil:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby steeljam » Mon Dec 14, 2020 09:46 pm

I live in the London Borough of Bexley currently, along with all the other London boroughs, are moving from Tier 2 to Tier 3.
Kent is already in Tier 3. The shopping center Bluewater is in Kent. People have been fined for going to Bluewater.
The reaction on one Facebook group was "We can now go to Bluewater without being fined!" So the new rise makes travel easier!
It makes total nonsense on trying to bring down the infection rate.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:15 pm

steeljam wrote:"We can now go to Bluewater without being fined!"

Errr, no, they can't
So the new rise makes travel easier!
It makes total nonsense on trying to bring down the infection rate.

No it doesn't
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table