Discworld

Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

Postby chrisboote » Thu May 21, 2020 08:21 pm

Sandra wrote:Gloomhaven - we no longer have a dinning table...

...Adrian has also discovered Frosthaven

I kickstarted Frosthaven too :)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Thu May 21, 2020 08:26 pm

phalarope wrote:Is it on physical media (cards, disk, etc.)? Happy to shop and ship for you.

Googled it. Good lord and butter, it's HUGE. :shock: Still, I can pre-order if you'd like.

Gloomhaven is huge (c. 11kg packaged) but I'm talking about Jaws of the Lion, which is much smaller (and 'only' $40)
But it's still the postage cost that's ridiculous - $20 internal US plus at least the same again to ship to me :(
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby phalarope » Thu May 21, 2020 08:47 pm

Hah! Postage from an individual in US to anywhere in the world is ridiculous. You should see the shenanigans I get up to to shave an ounce off of my GCTS returns packages to the Emporium.

Let me know if you change your mind.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Sandra » Fri May 22, 2020 02:05 pm

Adrian is "just" waiting a few more weeks - he says it's here in September.

Sorry it the 'p' word

going to PM you a website Adrian found that offers pre-order for Oct
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat May 30, 2020 02:24 am

So yaaaay my husband has an appointment with a cardiologist on Wednesday. Whatever they say, it's better than him trying to ignore it. Now we can do something about it :)
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 am

Nonny, how did it go?

Well, after stringing him along on furlough, continually pushing back his return date, the company Derek was working for finally laid him off. Not unexpected, but still not fun. A job search is always stressful, doing it during a pandemic.... :roll: Adding to the fun, this means that we do not have health coverage as of last Friday. The good news is that there seem to be open positions out there, and he's working with a recruiter. And if we're feeling petty we can satisfy ourselves by reaching out to the SBA to just mention to them that if this business took advantage of payroll protection money that the headcount there has now been reduced by about 1/3 of the IT department.
Catch-up

Postby phalarope » Tue Jun 09, 2020 04:46 pm

Oh, Susanne, I am so sorry! How . . . . words fail me. Massive hugs. Please feel 'petty' all you wish.

Fingers crossed for a speedy new job with good bennies!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jun 09, 2020 04:49 pm

That sucks, Suzanne. Good luck to him on the job search, it sounds at least like there are possibilities.

My husband needs more tests, they can't find anything particular wrong. He thinks it could possibly be all in his head, but I"m not letting him take chances. He'll get a sonogram of his heart, that should tell us if there are any issues.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:26 pm

Thanks guys! He's finding some good possibilities and has applied to several places. Fingers crossed that something works out soon!

Nonny, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Fri Jun 12, 2020 08:44 am

Sorry to hear the news, Suzanne. Let's hope he finds something soon.
Chap next door got laid off from his Insurance Company, after a short stint delivering Amazon, which he hated, he is now working at a morgue. They have taken on extra people because of the increase!

I bit into an apple which turned out to be extra crunchy. Then realised it wasn't the apple but part of my tooth which had broken off. Trying to see if I can get something done as an emergency.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby The_Professor_UK » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:35 am

First of all, Don't worry about being cast as someone who is not normal....

I dress up whenever I meet people certainly for the first time. I am naturally painfully shy and in many ways I am a recluse (also considered not 'normal)'. But unfortunately I am not wealthy enough to be a true recluse, and I have to meet people to be able to work. So I do not meet people, I send my alter ego 'Prof' to meet them instead. He goes in tweeds, bow ties, and all the things that an eccentric mad professor should be, and I stay safe deep inside my head!

Secondly, the photos will show a person having fun with other people. I honestly think people will be less bothered about the people in the pictures than the fact there ARE people in the pictures. People will look and not associate you, or your group with him, they will be more shocked at "Wow, look at him, you would never think someone like that could do those kind of things"

I hope you are coping with this and if I can do anything to support you from the UK, let me know.... Even if it is just to lend an ear!
They called me Mad, you know!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The_Professor_UK

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jun 13, 2020 08:23 pm

Thanks so much for the support! Hubby has an interview this week - so fingers crossed! Hopefully he doesn't end up needing to look for work at the morgue. :shock:

Steeljam, I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Except I wasn't eating an apple - it was a stress lozenge - of all things! :roll: :lol:
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Sat Jun 13, 2020 08:34 pm

Catch-up wrote:Steeljam, I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Except I wasn't eating an apple - it was a stress lozenge - of all things! :roll: :lol:

What is a stress lozenge? I used to have a stress ball; a blue rubber sphere you squeezed to refuse stress. From experience it didn't work.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jun 15, 2020 01:29 am

steeljam wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Steeljam, I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Except I wasn't eating an apple - it was a stress lozenge - of all things! :roll: :lol:

What is a stress lozenge? I used to have a stress ball; a blue rubber sphere you squeezed to refuse stress. From experience it didn't work.

These things - https://www.rescueremedy.com/en-us/stre ... -pastilles

They do seem to help! A little. Unless you break a tooth on them. :roll:
Catch-up

Postby Pat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:48 am

steeljam wrote:I bit into an apple which turned out to be extra crunchy. Then realised it wasn't the apple but part of my tooth which had broken off. Trying to see if I can get something done as an emergency.

Jan lost a filling. A couple of weeks later I broke a tooth. We've both had temporary fillings put in, but can't have definitive treatment until the surgery staff have all been fitted for PPE, which won't be until the end of this month.
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table