Discworld

Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

Postby steeljam » Mon Jun 15, 2020 01:12 pm

Pat wrote:
steeljam wrote:I bit into an apple which turned out to be extra crunchy. Then realised it wasn't the apple but part of my tooth which had broken off. Trying to see if I can get something done as an emergency.

Jan lost a filling. A couple of weeks later I broke a tooth. We've both had temporary fillings put in, but can't have definitive treatment until the surgery staff have all been fitted for PPE, which won't be until the end of this month.

I rather like the term "fitted for PPE" it is a bit like dental implants.
I have tried to contact my dentist with no response.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 13, 2020 09:47 pm

Today i found a hedgehog hiding in my garden - I would be happy with this except my garden is fully enclosed and after a major rework last year is devoid of food (honestly I have seen two snails this year!).
So about ten this evening I pulled him/her out from under my raspberry bush, put the ball of spines next to my open garden gate and settled down to let him/her leave at their own pace. I only had to chase it once after it headed back into the raspberries and then block off the space behind the bins, then chase it with my torchlight...
I just hope my garden is not the only one with water at ground level, otherwise it'd be back...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Sat Jul 25, 2020 07:04 pm

Mate has a sore throat and a cough. :shock: We HOPE it's just a summer cold and not the dreaded covid. He's scheduled for a test on Tuesday (soonest we could get one), but the results won't be back for 10 days after that. I don't have to spell out the timelines or implications. He's gone off to the other house and I've soaked this one in 70% ethanol and washed everything that can be laundered.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby elmstead » Sat Jul 25, 2020 08:01 pm

oh Carol, Really hope it is a summer cold/flu but 10 days for the result is ridiculous.
I took part in a trial for a test for antibodies that would indicate whether I had had the virus. It arrived in the post, just needed a drop of blood and had to wait 10 minutes for a red or blue line to show up. I got a negative result.

I don't know what information the US experts are giving out but in the UK the three symptoms indicative of Coronavirus (COVID-19) are:
a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

if he's not showing these symptoms then its likely to be a virus not the virus

I know there are people that have had the virus and were asymptomatic but that's why the result of the test should be available in 24hrs/48hrs !

Self isolating for 14 days isn't easy if you need to work. Hope his employer is understanding.
Wishing lots of Good Luck for both of you
elmstead

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 26, 2020 09:01 am

Best wishes Phalarope.

My arg is no where as serious...

I've induced jet Lag... Purely my own fault - I should be in Wellington NZ setting up Ops...Instead I'm at home trying to think in 3? 4? timezones.

There's Contime (+12) Home (+1) US (somewhere between -5 and -8) and Finland (+2).

So far today I've got a meeting at 3 (I think that's Dublin 3pm) and one at 8am (tomorrow morning NZ time = 9pm today for me).

I've really got my mind FUBAR'd - but anyone who's seen me for a Dead Dog party would see that as normal :thumbr:
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 03:52 pm

Awww hope he recovers quickly, Carol :( Hopefully he'll be over it before you find out what it was.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:42 pm

So far, so good. Symptoms have resolved, including mine (incipient raw throat from post nasal drip.). Aspirin is a wonder drug!!!

New aargh, not nearly as frightening. Drove 100 miles 1 way to get a Maryland bird. An anhinga - they belong in Florida - Louisiana. Got up at 5:30, on the road at 6, bucked Washington DC rush hour traffic, and arrived at the location at 7:40. First on the scene. No bird. No bird through 9:30. Other birders arrive and do not find the bird. It was 92 degrees in the shade, heading for 100. Humidity off the chart. Urban area (stormwater retention pond next to a shopping mall - why do vagrants pick sites like these :?: :?: :shock: :roll:). No shade once the sun got well up. Decided to cut my losses at 9:30 for the 100 mile trip home. Got stuck in Bay Bridge lane closures. 1 hour to go 7 miles, grrrr. Got home at 12:30, half starved, looked at t'internet. Fecking bird showed up at 11:40. :evil: :roll:

Do I try again tomorrow - with thunder showers predicted all day???
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby elmstead » Fri Jul 31, 2020 08:15 am

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
200miles round trip to see a snake bird ?
difficult decision
200miles to find a rare Discworld stamp ?
no-brainer
elmstead

Postby steeljam » Fri Jul 31, 2020 09:34 pm

Too damn hot.
Came out in a sweat rash all over. Need to stand under a cold shower every hours to cool down.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:49 pm

phalarope wrote:Do I try again tomorrow - with thunder showers predicted all day???
Yes. Yes I do. And it's there, in gentle showers. So my aaargh is now a woot. And Mate's covid test came back negative. Worth the 2 hour traffic back-up at the Bay Bridge -aaargh. (GO HOME you people. Taking a beach weekend during covid is a dumb idea)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Kelshandra » Sun Aug 02, 2020 07:44 am

*sigh* They are shutting schools in my state down again this week for the rest of the term. My poor year 12's (final year of secondary schooling here, big exam at end of year for each subject) are going to be so stressed, not to mention my little Grade 5s who did not do well over zoom, particularly given some are in places that don't have great internet at all.

Time to get my home teaching set up again.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 03:56 pm

phalarope wrote:
phalarope wrote:Do I try again tomorrow - with thunder showers predicted all day???
Yes. Yes I do. And it's there, in gentle showers. So my aaargh is now a woot. And Mate's covid test came back negative. Worth the 2 hour traffic back-up at the Bay Bridge -aaargh. (GO HOME you people. Taking a beach weekend during covid is a dumb idea)

WOOT! :bounce:

Kel, I wish our schools would close down. They're doing the first two weeks online and I wish they'd do the whole first quarter. It's not a great experience for anyone, but my state sucks at acting responsibly. My husband is trying to talk the kids into wearing respirator masks. One has agreed, working on the other. If they do it will ease a lot of stress around here.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby steeljam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 04:08 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:
phalarope wrote:

WOOT! :bounce:
Kel, I wish our schools would close down. They're doing the first two weeks online and I wish they'd do the whole first quarter. It's not a great experience for anyone, but my state sucks at acting responsibly. My husband is trying to talk the kids into wearing respirator masks. One has agreed, working on the other. If they do it will ease a lot of stress around here.

Are they Discworld fans? Maybe they would like these masks.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Aug 04, 2020 08:05 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:WOOT! :bounce:

Oh don't get me wrong, it's best to do so now. We had only one day before the shut down here where masks were compulsary for everyone in the state including school and trying to get students to keep them on was frustrating 'put your mask back on X, yes it is hot, no I am sure you won't suffocate, the fact that you can usually talk a mile a minute without taking a breath makes me confident of that*'. It's just a little frustrating as the younger kids struggled with home learning, particuarly without that social contact and that we have one diagnosed case in the region, it's down in the city that numbers are scarey due to people being idiots**.

*no, I didn't actually say that last bit
** And part of that is some of those in lockdown in the city coming up here despite shutdowns which is why the whole state is now in lockdown for at least 6 weeks.
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Aug 05, 2020 03:08 pm

steeljam wrote:Are they Discworld fans? Maybe they would like these masks.

I've gotten them to read a few of the books, but they aren't into it like I am. And anyway I'm talking respirator masks, with P100 filters, not cloth masks. In any case it looks like we're going that route.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table