Discworld

Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 04:46 pm

A few months ago,i was collared by a lady on the bus who turned out to be a previously unknown aunt on my Mothers side of the family.
She gave me a piece of paper with an address of a birthday party on it,which took place on Saturday evening,my brother was going to be there so i wasn`t going to attend anyway as i`m useless in situations like that,i get a bit.....twitchy to say the least!
Only realised i`d missed this while checking my diary for up coming things i need to do,currently feeling very slightly guilty that i didn`t let anyone know i wasn`t going,had to be at work for 0500 on the Sunday morning so i couldn`t have gone anyway (that`s the story i`m sticking to `cos it`s true!)
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:35 pm

My Fifbit app has just informed me that it could not give me details of my sleep pattern last night because, and I quote: " Fitbit could not detect a consistent heartbeat while you slept"!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm not clear on the details but I might have died in the night . . . :lol:

. . . but at least I might now be eligible to join Reg Shoe's Fresh Start Club
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby SANEAlex » Thu Jul 05, 2018 04:44 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:My Fifbit app has just informed me that it could not give me details of my sleep pattern last night because, and I quote: " Fitbit could not detect a consistent heartbeat while you slept"!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

You might want to get checked out for sleep apnea as apparently the dying regularly in your sleep is a real thing, been there done that got the machine that reminds me to breath on a more regular basis though on some days Reg Shoes still thinks I'm avoiding the Fresh Start club Dues. :?

PS if you do get offered a machine get one with built in humidifier as trading death by suffocation for death by dehydration might not be the best deal unless you are also good at getting draws when playing chess with the CURRY EATER
:wink: :twisted:
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 05, 2018 07:25 pm

Otherwise your arm got too sweaty and shorted the sensors in your watch.

But do keep out for sleep apnea symptoms, on your own you may only notice poor sleep and maybe a sore throat (but that could be 'just' snoring or the weather)

Not having used one I don't know if it keeps a log of your sleep - hopefully something that monitors you that intensively will be able to detect when you are 'broken' and warn you to get a medical opinion.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:55 pm

I did panic a bit when I saw the rather alarming statement from Fitbit :shock: and thought I might have a touch of sleep apnea, perhaps brought on by hay-fever, which has been quite bad the last couple of weeks.
However, thankfully I think in this instance it was probably caused by my Fitbit strap simply being on too loose a fit that night, as it's never happened before and was OK last night.
I have to admit to becoming mildly obsessed with how I sleep, as the Fitbit app gives you a breakdown of how long/what percentage of sleep you spend in REM, deep sleep, light sleep and how often you wake up during the night - and you can compare this over a 30 day average or to benchmark stats for your gender age group. I checked back over my sleep history for the last couple of months and I don't seem to have had any more mini-awake episodes than normal, so I'm reasonably sure I'm not going to join The Fresh Start club via blocked nostrils just yet :wink:

Being accidentally smothered in my sleep by one of the cats nodding off on my face, however, is a very real possibility . . . :meow:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:28 pm

'Accidentally'

You keep telling yourself that :D
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 02:08 pm

SANEAlex wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:My Fifbit app has just informed me that it could not give me details of my sleep pattern last night because, and I quote: " Fitbit could not detect a consistent heartbeat while you slept"!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

You might want to get checked out for sleep apnea as apparently the dying regularly in your sleep is a real thing, been there done that got the machine that reminds me to breath on a more regular basis though on some days Reg Shoes still thinks I'm avoiding the Fresh Start club Dues. :?

PS if you do get offered a machine get one with built in humidifier as trading death by suffocation for death by dehydration might not be the best deal unless you are also good at getting draws when playing chess with the CURRY EATER

I had one of those machines for just over a year,in that time i had two full nights sleep with the mask on,the rest of the time i kept pulling the mask off and waking up with the bloody thing hissing away next to me.
I felt worse after the full nights sleep than i ever did without the machine,gave the thing back as i couldn`t get the hang of the thing and the hospital kept moaning at me for taking the mask off in my sleep!
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 pm

So, as an amusing anecdote, I was telling my friend* about my rather ominous notification from my Fitbit app the other day, about it not being able to register a consistent heartbeat while I slept one night, and she was duly attentive and nodded sympathetically. Then she looked away for a few moments contemplatively, turned back and said "Wait, didn't your Dad die of a heart attack in his sleep . . . " :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wasn't worried about it before, but I bloody am now!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

* The 'friend' bit is currently under review. She may have to be down graded to an acquaintance :twisted:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Mon Jul 09, 2018 05:43 am

My lyta, my little black panther.. is gone.
She was refusing to eat following the move and wednesday produced some vomit that was red tinged.
I brought her to the vet and the examined her, gave her fluids and an opiate injection to try and stimulate her appetite.
It didn't work I tried dsperately last night to get her to eat something, ANYthing, but no joy.
Thursday morning I got a cab back to the vets pklace and left her there, they gave her IV fluids and tried to feed her again. Still no joy.
They rang me around 12 and told me they wanted to trasnfer her to the pet hospital. I had to scramble around and find a friend with car to take her out there.
Around 6 pm local about I got a phone call saying they recommended letting her pass over.
I was in shock. I scrambled around an dfound friedn (diferrent friend) with car and got driven out.
I won't lie, there were tears, many many tears, full on snot coming out of my nose crying.
RIP Lyta kitteh, in my life April 2017 - July 2018.

Note I posted the above on my facebook wall on Thursday evening. I'm starting to feel more normal now and do have her sister, na'toth to snuggle with.
I'll consider a companion cat after I get back from dwcon in august, as I am not going way again until October so will have time to spend with new kitteh.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby I.B.Igor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 06:06 am

Hugs Alan, so sorry your Lyta is gone, its never easy loosing a pet, she had you to love and care for her, and you did.
Hugs again. :(
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 01:58 pm

Sending you love and ((((hugs)))) Phaze xxx RIP little Lyta :cry:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 06:35 pm

Merry is so lucky.

She has recently taken to playing with my nail varnish (bottles), today she grabbed for one, overbalanced, dropped the bottle and the bottle fell into the others, the pot they were in fell over and by the time I got there the brush/lid of one had sheered off with peach varnish pouring out.

99% of the varnish was inside the pot, covering other bottles and generally making a huge mess. I grabbed this lot and headed for a sink. Adrian went off to get the varnish remover and cotton wool. After a frantic 5 minutes I was happily trashing the stinking mess with the colours I want to bother saving clean and dried. I had even managed to wash the varnish off my hands.

I then found the other 1%... I am so glad there is a pattern in the carpet which includes peach, rinse and repeat of above.

I now have a house that reeks of organic solvent, a parrot that is locked up and protesting how good she is and a husband pointing out that since we are preparing for my brother's wedding it could be worse - landing on the place names for the meal, on our suits, in a case...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby SANEAlex » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:53 am

Alan wrote:
SANEAlex wrote:

I had one of those machines for just over a year,in that time i had two full nights sleep with the mask on,the rest of the time i kept pulling the mask off and waking up with the bloody thing hissing away next to me.
I felt worse after the full nights sleep than i ever did without the machine,gave the thing back as i couldn`t get the hang of the thing and the hospital kept moaning at me for taking the mask off in my sleep!

I do sympathise Its taken me a long time to get used to the machine i have found gel earplugs help with the noise. And even though i have had the system for a long time I still occasionally take it off part way in the middle of the night, but I do think it helping me to remember to breath more often does help my overall health on average. So it might be worth having another go but if i forget to fill the water humidify I really do feel bad and dehydrated in the morning so i really do recommend anyone who needs one of these machines to get one with the humidify attachment.
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jul 20, 2018 04:52 pm

I took a sleep study and it turns out I don't have apnea. I think maybe my previous nighttime breathing problems were related to asthma, and once I got on medication that actually controlled it well, I just have normal old stuff-moving-around-my-sinuses snoring.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Summoned for jury duty (county criminal trial jury). :evil: :evil: For the month of September. :wink: I'll be in the UK for nearly ALL of it. :P :P :P

For those who wonder why this annoys me - I've served on 3 juries so far; Mate has never been summoned, ever. Most of the cases that make it to trial are crap: controlled buy drug deals caught on video where the defendant refuses to plead, well duh; a drunken driving case (where the police officer never made his case, just expected the jury to side with law enforcement (the guy was probably guilty, but the officer never even breathalyzed him)); a really sad case of sexual abuse where there was no real evidence to convict the defendant (a he said - he said case, but all the psychological trauma was there on display).

A juror has to report for duty daily for the entire month, only to be dismissed at some point in the day the majority of the time, and one is paid $15 per day only if one is actually seated. It's a dreadful system. I can afford to forego my salary (and I actually get paid time off), but loads of people can't and don't.

I'll probably only get a deferral, not a complete excuse, but it's satisfying to irritate the system. 8)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table