Discworld

Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Aaaaarrrgggghhh - Room 101

Postby Sandra » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:30 pm

There is one thing you need to plan for - time to breathe. Don't forget to add a film, or a walk (depending on preference/weather/etc) that would allow each individual to NOT be crammed into 'fun'. Without that as a safety valve it gets harder not to think too hard about the missing chair/s
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Sun Dec 16, 2018 01:23 am

Dave stern helm Crisfield web.jpg
Just lost a dear friend and colleague, the captain of RV Miss Kay, to cancer, way too young. :cry: GNU Capt. Dave White
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Sorry to hear that, Carol - big (((hugs)))
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 04:06 pm

So sorry to hear that. *hugz* :cry:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:27 pm

One year I am going to cancel Christmas, bugger the presents, the cooking, the sodding tree, the running around like a headless chicken, the oraganising stupid ungrateful bloody relatives, the constant pressure of attempting to work/cook/clean and plan for one sodding day that ends up a typical damp dull day with crappy tv that I barely watch as I am attempting to get a sodding turkey to fit the bloody cooker, as Mr Chrsitmas has ordered a small osteritch that will not fit, and peeling anough sprouts, carrots and sod knows what else.
While juggling umpteen invites out, which I attend on my own as Hubby is a hermit, to make the same excuses, to deal with the same fuckwhit relatives, to spend a forune on over hyped, over cooked dross in a crappy resturant, to take a taxi home, to find him as per usual GLUED to the sodding computer playing f**king DIGGGY while I attempt to entertain his perents!!

Im planning on becoming a hermit. Screw Christmas. Im spending it in a travel lodge with a pitzza, a bottle of vodka, and box of chocolates.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Sandra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:42 pm

Last Christmas the MiL was really ill, we were asked to run Christmas for her (while she fought the evil forces of the bed blocking team), we (esp Adrian) were not up to dealing with the chaos of turkey - so did a buffet.

A year later (and a MiL missing) we are repeating. Lots of stuff from the freezer into the oven - tray at a time. Sausage rolls and cold roast meats, crisps bread and whatever else takes our fancy. And most importantly NO sprout peeling! It worked last year and so we will do it twice this year (part two will be my brothers et al).

NB computers and game consoles do not work without plug fuses - and to be sneaky keep any 13a fuses that blow through the year - Oh dear the fuse bust have blown, and we don't have any more... :twisted:
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Dec 18, 2018 07:18 am

Sandra, that sounds like a great idea, though the thought of a running buffet instead of turkey and all the trimmings, Martyn will probably call in the men with white coats for me. No turkey, no pigs in blankets, no stuffing, no veggies, no GRAVY...
no way! and he has to have steamed christmas pud, with cream, brandy butter AND custard. Food is his thing, I can get away with having a fling with an entire rugby team and posting it on line. I would be forgiven.
But mess with the cooking, it would be divorce on the spot. Think a U.U wizard being told Mrs Whitlow has died, and the kitchens have blown up .
Todays dinner is lancashire hot pot , from scratch. Nice idea about the fuses blowing, I think I just may suggest he helps a bit this year, as he is avoiding my family as usual. I might insist on a three day vacation away from diggy.
Then again I can always go out, as long as I am back to cook dinner, I doubt he will worry much.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Sandra » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 am

Ah but then we have 'our' christmas dinner on chistmas eve - this year it's duck. Adrian gets roast duck with veg and gravy, I get duck with chinese pancakes and a nice light stirfry. it's nice to have the 'big' meal as just an extension of what we would have on a Sunday.

As for the pigs in blankets - they're part of the buffet.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Sandra wrote:
NB computers and game consoles do not work without plug fuses - and to be sneaky keep any 13a fuses that blow through the year - Oh dear the fuse bust have blown, and we don't have any more... :twisted:
:lol: You evil genius! :thumbr:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 09, 2019 08:49 pm

A hotel stay, pizza, vodka, chocolates and flings with entire rugby teams? I'm spending next Christmas with you Jackie!
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 03:02 pm

I was supposed to start the New Year teaching at the local library; Code Club teaching Scratch and HTML to 9-year-olds.
Unfortunately, the Code Club organisation have changed their rules and I must have a member of staff sitting with me while I teach. The library cannot spare a member of staff.
So, no teaching.
Feeling very frustrated and annoyed.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 13, 2019 04:06 pm

Really sorry Steve. That has to be disappointing.

Carol, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.
Catch-up

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:11 pm

So I think I've gotten to a stable enough point that I am ready to share what's going on with my son Kyle. You may remember he'd been a major pain recently. Well, the past few months have been nothing short of hell.

So, Kyle decided he’s mentally ill. The conversation started with “Mom, I’ve diagnosed myself as bipolar off the internet and I need some mood-stabilizing drugs.” Um. No. We tried a couple of times to tell him that the stuff he was describing is actually pretty normal for adolescents, but he just said we didn’t understand what he was going through.

He did say at one point he was contemplating suicide, and that was when we went ahead and got him a therapist very quickly. Luckily we found one who is easy to talk to and has a lot of focus on diagnosing teens.

For the next few weeks, Kyle kept studying different kinds of mental illness and as soon as he read about one, he was instantly convinced he had it. He had PTSD (with no T). He had psychosis. He had schizophrenia. He stopped talking about self-harm but kept going around telling people he had been diagnosed with this or that, when in fact he had not been diagnosed at all. He still talks about getting medication. He now thinks he has some condition so exotic and strange he’s breaking new ground in psychology.

But here’s the thing – he’s not mentally ill. What husband and I and also our daughter all noticed was not only how his symptoms changed depending on what he was into at the moment, but how anything he displayed was clearly a display – overly demonstrative and not seeming real at all, and with highly convenient (for him) timing. His therapist caught on to this too after just a couple of months with only his input, nothing from us and our skepticism. She said he describes his experiences like someone who's read about them, not like someone who has actually experienced them - and she has enough experience to know. His symptoms are psychosomatic, like he’s got some kind of mental hypochondria. He may have some anxiety or other emotional or psychological issues, but that’s not the same as what he thinks he has.

Reinforcing this is the fact that he has his worst symptoms when we’re trying desperately to hold him responsible for something. We ask him not to hoard dishes in his room, he develops a tic. Try to make him catch up on his homework, he starts hallucinating. Try to get him to try harder on something, panic attack. "Good morning! How did you sleep?" "I had a psychotic episode last night." "Oh I'm sorry to hear that, off to school with you, good luck on that test."

Last week the therapist told us her diagnosis is official - it's called hypochondrosis, per described above. She hasn't told him yet but will in the next couple of sessions. We don't expect him to take it well because he wants pills and he wants to have issues. But nope, the cure here is for him to get a grip. That might not be easy but there is no medication for this, he has to do it himself.

Dealing with this has been a new and different kind of hell, let me tell you. His self-pity could drown entire planets. Also his grades suck more than usual. I've been so worried about him and his future.

But now I feel like I have a good understanding of reality here and that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Hope has returned and I'm doing okay now myself. I feel like I just earned my black belt again, but emotionally. 8)
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Sun Feb 10, 2019 01:45 pm

WOW that's alot to be working through.

It looks like you have found the right person to help - both him and the rest of your family (after all mental illness is far worse for the family than coping with a physical illness).

As he is so young still there is a chance of getting this under control before it sets and becomes a more permanent issue (my depression hasn't responded to any treatment yet and I have developed my own coping strategies that allow me to cope rather than suffer, I don't remember being not depressed).

All the best
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 03:06 pm

Goodness gracious, Nonny! Teenagers can be a handful at the best of times - I know both my nephews went from being nice, friendly, chatty boys to grumpy, grunting werewolves (or possibly wereteens) practically overnight, but thankfully nothing like you've described. Kyle does seem to have a really bad case of the wereteens, doesn't he? Was there anything that happened a few months ago that may have triggered all, maybe? Is he being bullied at school or anything?
It does sound like you've dealt with it in a very supportive and patient way (I'm not sure I would show such patience!) and I really hope that a professional therapist giving Kyle a reality check will help him move past this phase. Hang in there & sending you supportive (((hugs))) xxx
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table