Discworld

The Astronomy thread

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The Astronomy thread

Postby Sandra » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:28 am

and something that cannot be replicated - ashes are being sent into space, some will be in the wrong place.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 04:05 pm

Sandra wrote:and something that cannot be replicated - ashes are being sent into space, some will be in the wrong place.
This makes me very cross, as it's totally irresponsible and dangerous :evil: There's already hundreds of thousands of pieces of detritus floating about up there causing a danger to the ISS, satellites and spacecraft without some daft bugger's auntie Mabel whirling about in low Earth orbit!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Tue Sep 11, 2018 06:29 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Sandra wrote:and something that cannot be replicated - ashes are being sent into space, some will be in the wrong place.
This makes me very cross, as it's totally irresponsible and dangerous :evil: There's already hundreds of thousands of pieces of detritus floating about up there causing a danger to the ISS, satellites and spacecraft without some daft bugger's auntie Mabel whirling about in low Earth orbit!

I think most of them are in non-orbiting trajectories. I think James Doolan's ashes were sent towards the sun.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 07:26 pm

42 years ago toady, the new Space Shuttle was proudly showed to the public for the first time - it's name was Enterprise :D

Some of those members of the public look oddly familiar . . . :wink:

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table