Discworld

Anyone like old maps?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Anyone like old maps?

Postby chrisboote » Thu May 28, 2015 01:19 pm

Wrong Cox
Is what I would say were I to give you any (more) clues
Not that I would, you understand
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Basement » Thu May 28, 2015 02:29 pm

The only other Cox that I know is Sara.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby chrisboote » Thu May 28, 2015 02:39 pm

Whistles innocently while moving in the general direction of away
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Tue Jun 02, 2015 07:18 am

Another interesting map thingy
Agloes are fake town names placed in US maps to catch out copyright thieves
They take their name from the first one, called Agloe, derived from the initials of the original map makers, Otto G. Lindberg and Ernest Alpers.

But when someone wanted to start a business in that area of the Catskills, they founded it on the bend in the road where the map said "Agloe" - and called it the Agloe General Store, thus turning a fake place name into a real one
You can still find Agloe General Store on Google maps today, even though it closed down in the 1980s

More details here
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/643-ag ... an-fiction
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:30 am

For anyone who does like old maps, the London Map Fair is on this weekend at the Royal Geographical Society,1 Kensington Gore and admission is free! :D

http://www.londonmapfairs.com/
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jun 08, 2015 08:09 am

Grace Speaker wrote:For anyone who does like old maps, the London Map Fair is on this weekend at the Royal Geographical Society,1 Kensington Gore and admission is free! :D

http://www.londonmapfairs.com/

Oh my wallet is SO glad I never saw this until today :)
Julia would have been there like a shot and we would have bought dozens of beautiful things :)
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 am

I know just what you mean! I was tempted by this bit of cartographic weirdness entitled "The Island of Mad Head" . . . Image

. . . which is in fact a rather scathing social commentary, but although in the hundreds instead of the tens of thousands is still sadly out of my price range :roll:
If anyone is tempted, it is still available for purchase from Sanders of Oxford who are an Alladin's cave of gorgeous cartography
https://www.sandersofoxford.com/shop/product/afbeeldinge-vant-zeer-vermaarde-eiland-geks-kop-representation-of-the-very-famous-island-of-mad-head/
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jun 12, 2015 01:00 am

Okay, this is cheating because this is a new map, but I thought of this thread as soon as I found it. It's an Over The Edge 3D map of deaths in the Grand Canyon. There are a surprising number of air crash deaths.
[url]
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/Storytelling ... 18af579b5a[/url]
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 12, 2015 07:51 am

This might be in bad taste but I laughed out loud when I saw Cause of Death #3 - Critter or Cacti ?!?

What on earth were these people doing to suffer Death by Cactus ?????? :lol:
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jun 12, 2015 03:20 pm

I know!! I wondered the same thing. The only thing I could find was this:

Myth: You Can Drink Water From a Cac­tus
So your car broke down in the desert. It’s miles to the near­est gas sta­tion. Your cell phone doesn’t have recep­tion. You don’t have any water in your car. There’s no one around, and you are very, very thirsty. Now you chance upon a cac­tus. I’m saved, you think. I’ll just lop the top off this here prickly pear and go to town. Not so fast, part­ner. The liq­uid inside a cac­tus isn’t pure water and is actu­ally a highly alka­line, nox­ious fluid. Chances are, if you drink from a cac­tus you will get very sick, and vom­it­ing is one way to ensure you dehy­drate faster. You can drink from a bar­rel cac­tus, but only one spe­cific type, and unless you’re extremely into cacti botany, you’re bet­ter off con­serv­ing your energy or seek­ing out a purer water source.
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 am

A map showing the leading edge of scientific understanding of the cosmos, circa 1660. The description is shamelessly pinched from NASA's website

The Copernican Universe illustrated in The Harmonia Macrocosmica of Andreas Cellarius
Date: 1 Jan 1660

Defining the term planet is important, because such definitions reflect our understanding of the origins, architecture, and evolution of our solar system. Over historical time, objects categorized as planets have changed. The ancient Greeks counted the Earth's moon and sun as planets along with Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. Earth was not considered a planet, but rather was thought to be the central object around which all the other celestial objects orbited. The first known model that placed the sun at the center of the known universe with the Earth revolving around it was presented by Aristarchus of Samos in the third century BCE, but it was not generally accepted. It wasn't until the 16th century that the idea was revived by Nicolaus Copernicus. By the 17th century, astronomers (aided by the invention of the telescope) realized that the sun was the celestial object around which all the planets - including Earth - orbit, and that the moon is not a planet, but a satellite (moon) of Earth. Uranus was added as a planet in 1781 and Neptune was discovered in 1846.

Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 09:22 pm

This is fascinating - a team have used modern technology to compile a geological and ecological map of what New York used to look like 400 years ago (that counts as 'ancient' for the US :wink: ) and perhaps should look like 400 years in the future.

Scroll down the page to get to the video
http://www.6sqft.com/how-one-man-created-a-3d-map-of-manhattan-when-it-was-just-hills-rivers-and-wildlife/
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 04:46 pm

Love this - a new map of old Roman roads (shamelessly Feegled from the QI elves) laid out like a tube map :D

Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 01, 2017 08:04 pm

So the M23 is actually a Roman road? That explains a lot :lol: :twisted:
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby chrisboote » Wed Aug 02, 2017 07:01 am

But it's got a mistake

The road from Spinae to Aqua Sulis, via (what is now) Avebury is the Via Sulis, as mentioned in a series of documents found at Cagliari
chrisboote

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table