Discworld

The Repository of Weird and Wonderful facts

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The Repository of Weird and Wonderful facts

Postby Kelshandra » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:53 pm

Who says they didn't? I think that cat has a bit of a 'Who next... I can take all of ya!'
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Stew d'Apples » Wed Jul 08, 2015 02:38 pm

He's got a look that does say "I know what you did. I will hunt you down, I will find you and I will kill you then leave your headless carcass on the back doorstep".
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Aug 08, 2015 01:08 pm

As it's International Cat Day, did you know . . .

That when the Chuchill Family left Chartwell to the National Trust in 1966 . . .
. . . the family of Sir Winston Churchill requested that there always be a marmalade cat named Jock, with a white bib and four white socks, in comfortable residence at Chartwell. The National Trust has always honoured this request and in March 2014 welcomed Jock VI, a seven month old rescue kitten, to the property to take up this unique role.

Apparently he likes afternoon naps, eating tuna, Persian rugs and cuddles, but he's not at all fond of heights, lightning or opera though.

Jock VI, or Malley as he was previously known, was rescued by Croydon Animal Samaritans before being adopted by the House and Collections manager, Katherine Barnett:
'It’s a modern day rags to riches story – Jock VI has had a difficult start to his life, but as the saying goes, a cat will always land on its feet. I’m delighted with Jock. He’s a very caring, loving cat and I think our visitors will get lots of enjoyment from seeing him around the property for many years to come'

Jock V retired from public life when the former House and Collections manager left Chartwell. The pair had such a close bond, they stayed together and are now living in the Scottish countryside.

Click here to see Katherine explaining what's with all the Jocks? :wink: :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sat Aug 08, 2015 04:24 pm

Jock VI has a milk mustache! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 am

Courtesy of the QI elves over on Twitterland:

British stamps contain 5.9 calories a lick with some of the larger commemorative stamps as much as 14.5 calories.

It's mildly comforting to know that, in the event of an apocalypse, being able to eat my own stamp collection might give me a small survival edge . . . but perhaps I should start building a bunker just in case . . .
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am

Shamelessly Feegled from the twittering QI elves:

The last public guillotining in France took place in 1939. The actor Christopher Lee was there to see it.
Yep, the young Count Dracula just enjoying a fun day out . . . :shock:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am

Gone with the Wind was filmed closer to the American Civil War than to today
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Darren » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Most of the Muppets were left handed...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 pm

chrisboote wrote:Gone with the Wind was filmed closer to the American Civil War than to today
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn . . . :wink:

Sorry - couldn't resist :D It's the only bit of the film I know as, I am not at all ashamed to say, I have never watched it
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am

According to the QI Elves:

A single human male produces enough sperm in a fortnight to impregnate every fertile woman on the planet.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I don't know who this man is, but someone needs to find him and put a stop to his dastardly activities! Or at least send him round to my place . . . 10.30pm would be good . . . :lol:

I wonder if his name is Giamo Casanunda . . . :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

chrisboote wrote:Gone with the Wind was filmed closer to the American Civil War than to today

Oh. Is 2400 miles closer than 79 years?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Mon Apr 16, 2018 05:00 pm

Pat wrote:

Oh. Is 2400 miles closer than 79 years?

Depends how quickly you can swim
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 am

Leanda Mason from Curtin University in Perth, Australia, has confirmed today that Number16 maysherestinpeace has died at the grand old age of 43.

Number16 maysherestinpeace was, in case you're wondering, a female Trapdoor spider and was the world's oldest known spider - beating the previous record holder, who was a mere whippersnapper of a Tarantula at 28 years of age. Number16 maysherestinpeace was reported to have led a quite life and, perhaps surprisingly, did not die of old age - she was done in by a nasty old wasp who stung her to death. :evil:
World's oldest known spider dies

It's an odd, if slightly Tolkeinesque, thing to realise that there are spiders out there who could be older than you . . . unless that is, they are foolish enough to scuttle across my bedroom floor or up the wall anywhere near where I'm sitting, in which case they are fare more likely to meet the rolled-up Newspaper Of Doom than reach a grand old age :twisted: It's all those knees, especially the hairy ones - nothing should be allowed to have that many knees . . . **shudders**
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 01:11 pm

Shamelessly Feegles from the Twitter Tweets of the Q| Elves, who seem to be massive fans of STP :D :thumbl:

Anoia, Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers, might have been a creation of Terry Pratchett, but the ancient Romans did have a goddess of hinges. According to Ovid, "she opens things that have been closed, and closes things that have been opened".

I'd like there to be a Goddess of Properly Fitting Bras - because finding one is a bloody miracle! :roll: Brassieria perhaps?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jun 29, 2018 02:10 am

OKay nobody speaks of this in polite company... but I found a thingmabob to keep my straps from falling down all the time. It's like an extra strap that is technically for turning standard straps to racerback, but I use it to keep my straps from falling! I wear them every day now and while it was a little bit of trouble at first, it saves me trouble all day long. I totally recommend them. 8)
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table