Discworld

The Repository of Weird and Wonderful facts

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: The Repository of Weird and Wonderful facts

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:OKay nobody speaks of this in polite company... but I found a thingmabob to keep my straps from falling down all the time. It's like an extra strap that is technically for turning standard straps to racerback, but I use it to keep my straps from falling! I wear them every day now and while it was a little bit of trouble at first, it saves me trouble all day long. I totally recommend them. 8)
Thanks for the tip :thumbl: I'll look for those asap, but my problem is really with fundamental design flaws in bra engineering - i.e. the underwire often seems to start somewhere round the back, underneath your shoulder blades and stops leaving a 2-3 inch gap in the middle :evil: Why do so many bra designers think that women's boobs ought to start in their armpits? It's very annoying to be constantly impaled on the wire bit!

And another thing, while I'm having a rant, why does a white bra only stay white for a maximum of two washes before it turns battleship grey?!

Oh Brasseria, wherefore art thou? :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 29, 2018 01:39 pm

If you are a knitter - check out the Ravelry Bra designs. I do not know how supportive they are, but being designed by the women who wear them in the photos, they look comfortable rather than looking like lingerie...

AND you can make them out of 100% cotton in your choice of colours :shock:
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jun 29, 2018 03:52 pm

I hate underwire, totally agree it's completely stupid and uncomfortable. I buy bras that don't have underwire, but sturdy foam underneath. They're a bit more pricey but they do last, and I'll pay extra to not be poked by cheeky plastic wires all day.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 04:14 pm

Sandra wrote:If you are a knitter - check out the Ravelry Bra designs. I do not know how supportive they are, but being designed by the women who wear them in the photos, they look comfortable rather than looking like lingerie...

AND you can make them out of 100% cotton in your choice of colours :shock:
Good heavens, I never knew knitted bras were a thing :shock: Some of them are very pretty but, if going Commando, I think probably more practical for those of a smaller chest - if you're a D cup or above, you really need something engineered* rather than knitted to control the bounce**

*possibly by Isambard Kingdom Brunel . . . :lol:
** which could result in injury and black eyes . . . :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 04:27 pm

Well I never!! :shock: You can knit your own boob hammock!! :shock: You learn something new every day, well I do anyway - I definitely need to get out more!

https://knithacker.com/2017/08/youve-seen-the-famous-ta-ta-towel-one-designer-created-a-crochet-version-meet-the-booby-hammock-bra/

Just one question though - what is their practical application and how does one keep the bugger on?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 29, 2018 07:12 pm

:D :lol:

i wondered if anyone would find that one. The ladies look as though they are comfortable.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 am

I haven't personally tested this, but according to World and Science:

Interesting fact - If you could fold a piece of paper 50 times, its thickness would exceed the distance from here to the Sun.

If this exponential calculation is correct (I guess it would depend on the thickness of the paper concerned) I can't help thinking it would be a very cost effective way of sending Nigel Farage somewhere warm for the winter . . . :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 16, 2018 01:22 pm

Why not just cut out the middle-man and fold him up 50 times?
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 02:27 pm

Darren wrote:Why not just cut out the middle-man and fold him up 50 times?
:lol:
I like the way you think but that would involve actually having to touch the ghastly man and, personally, I wouldn't even contemplate such a thing without the aide of a full bio-haz-mat suit and a 10 foot pole!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Penners » Mon Jul 16, 2018 07:51 pm

Darren wrote:Why not just cut out the middle-man and fold him up 50 times?

Can we not be like a poker player's spoonerism; just fold and cut him up 50 times? :wink:
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 02:20 pm

Did you know that there is a National Museum of Poo on the Isle of Wight? :shock:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45097213

Can't help feeling that this would be a fabulous day out for Young Sam Vimes :wink: Although I dread to think of what manner of souvenirs are available in the gift shop! :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:50 pm

I have to wonder if someone read the book and 'liberated' the idea.....
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 02:42 pm

One of the giants of Physics, Niels Bohr (1885-1962) developed the modern idea of an atom, which has a nucleus at the centre with electrons revolving round it. When electrons move from one energy level to another, they emit discrete quanta of energy. His work won Bohr a Nobel prize in 1922.

For his achievements, Carlsberg brewery gave Bohr a special gift: a house with a pipeline connected to its brewery next door, thus providing him with free beer for life. In 1954, Bohr helped establish Cern, the European particle physics facility.

In 1975, his son, Aage, won a Nobel for research on atomic nuclei.

Moral of the story: Never underestimate the powers of slightly tipsy scientists . . . :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 08, 2018 01:22 pm

Having worked with many, and indeed been one myself on numerous occasions, it comes as no surprise at all.

It's my lasting memory of the transition from undergrad to post-grad life - seeing a fairly old and staid Welsh physics professor who thus far had done nothing more rebellious than leave a room without cleaning the board (during my undergrad times) literally pissed as a newt, dancing on a table and singing 70's disco at the top of his voice. It's one of those events that rather changes ones frame of reference on life and the world in general.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 08:32 pm

Darren wrote:Having worked with many, and indeed been one myself on numerous occasions, it comes as no surprise at all.

It's my lasting memory of the transition from undergrad to post-grad life - seeing a fairly old and staid Welsh physics professor who thus far had done nothing more rebellious than leave a room without cleaning the board (during my undergrad times) literally pissed as a newt, dancing on a table and singing 70's disco at the top of his voice. It's one of those events that rather changes ones frame of reference on life and the world in general.
:lol: for the better I hope!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table