Discworld

What made you glum today?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What made you glum today?

Postby DavidAHarvey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 02:47 am

Just before leaving for work this evening I found out that a friend I met through my Wargaming and Roleplaying club when I was in my mid-teens, and had played lasertag larping with for decades, but hadn't seen in a few years, had passed away after a short illness at a mere 63. To find that I'll never see his cheery smile or be subject to his ribald but always unmalicious good humour rather knocked the wind out of my sails.
To find out that we've lost Gwist too, who always had a kind word and a big smile for everyone and I was looking forward to seeing in Cork and finding out if her son, whom she brought along last time, had been bitten by the con bug, is a bitter blow.
GNU Jim Cutler and Gwist Paucard
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:00 pm

This time lapse video of Dippy the Dinosaur being dismantled in the great hall of the Natural Science Museum makes me inexplicably sad every time I see it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-38905440/dippy-the-dinosaur-dismantled-at-natural-history-museum

I can't have been much older that 2 when I first saw him and he helped inspire a life long fascination with archaeology, geology and a host of other 'ologies, so he's an old childhood friend to me. He's now off on his holidays to Canada to get a good cleaning and then will be going on a tour of the UK, but the NHM won't be the same without him . . . walking up the steps to the NHM with that sense of childish anticipation, through the gothic entrance way and then seeing the enormous Dippy in all his boney glory. I hope that a certain 7 foot tall boney gentleman will be keeping a watchful eye on Dippy - when I first started reading DW books as a teenager, I used to speculate whether Death might have had a steed like Dippy in his pre-historic/pre-Binky days . . .

On the plus side, the hall will reopen on 14th with some new and impressive exhibits which will be well worth a visit, although I really do think that the Blue Whale skeleton, which is Dippy's replacement, needs a name of his own . . . as long as it's not Whaley McWhaleface!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40459602
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sat Jul 01, 2017 01:14 pm

Grace Speaker wrote: . . . as long as it's not Whaley McWhaleface!!
You know naming calls, don't you? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 01, 2017 09:13 pm

I think they are planning a copy for the grounds - one that kids will be allowed to touch. Damn the fact that I'll be a little too old to get away with climbing on it!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jul 01, 2017 09:27 pm

Sandra wrote:I think they are planning a copy for the grounds - one that kids will be allowed to touch. Damn the fact that I'll be a little too old to get away with climbing on it!
Bugger that!! You're NEVER too old to climb on dinosaurs! :D
I really do hope they do make a climbable one :D :bounce: :D and if they do I plan to shin up it at the earliest opportunity :P
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 02:35 pm

At the end of June, the very elderly aunt that I've been looking after for many years died of the Embuggerance. We had the funeral/cremation yesterday and interned her ashes today. Even with the Embuggerance she managed to reach the grand old age of 95 and half, so had a bloody good innings, but still feeling a bit emotional. Still, even though she was only 4' 9", I'm sure she's busy somewhere telling Death to stand up straight, stop slouching and would you look at the state of your scythe! :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 04:05 pm

Started the very last batch of devices i`ll ever make in this current job,they should be finished by the end of tomorrow and that`s it.
Feeling a bit emotional as i`ve got to hang around to support another line that is still going strong while the shut down lines are dismantled around us,really want to go to my new job and not see something i have enjoyed doing taken apart in front of me.
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Sandra wrote:I think they are planning a copy for the grounds - one that kids will be allowed to touch. Damn the fact that I'll be a little too old to get away with climbing on it!
Bugger that!! You're NEVER too old to climb on dinosaurs! :D
I really do hope they do make a climbable one :D :bounce: :D and if they do I plan to shin up it at the earliest opportunity :P

Get yer climbing boots on Sandra, we're going to get a brand new brass Dippy in the east garden in front of the NHM! :D

Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table