Discworld

What made you glum today?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What made you glum today?

Postby Alan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 07:37 pm

First day back after a week off.
Job I've not done for 6 months now has parts,so its a case of work out where all the bits I need are.
Couldn't find the tube of glue,so I ask for a new one,stores don't have,any,bit of a panic on now!
Back to my bench and the tube of glue had been borrowed and put back between two Lin bins.
Seemed that I took half a pace forward and ten back,very annoying.
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby phalarope » Thu Mar 23, 2017 01:28 am

Came home to the news about the attack on Westminster Bridge and Parliament. :( And the comments of The Current Occupant's idiot son. :evil: My thoughts are with all my friends and DW family in London and the entire UK.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Sandra » Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:09 am

Something that isn't obvious from outside - something I have seen many, many times as various terrorists have tried to attack London (with varying amounts of 'success') is that the Blitz spirit has never died.

If the immediate roads around Parliament were not closed - the people of London would walk over rubble to get to work, British tourists would still walk over Westminster Bridge and stop for photos with Big Ben in the background. (NB if you want that photo over the next few days - you can get a view from Lambeth bridge).

I foresee that as soon as the roads open people will begin dropping off flowers (which will incense the security forces) for those who lost their lives. Life goes on and 'they' will not stop us.

(After all I managed to do high school in Northern Ireland - try high school when you know (a small number of) people think you should die and know where the military kids get sent, and Adrian was in the pub where the Baltic Exchange bomb was parked - a bomb that killed as many people as yesterday)

If you want something to feed your blood thirsty side or you feel any need to consider punishments - look at what we did to the failed bombers of Parliament in 1605 :twisted: If you feel a need to do something positive - donate blood or money to a support charity
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:14 am

phalarope wrote:Came home to the news about the attack on Westminster Bridge and Parliament. :( And the comments of The Current Occupant's idiot son. :evil: My thoughts are with all my friends and DW family in London and the entire UK.
Yes, very, very upsetting events yesterday - was absolutely heartbreaking to watch the footage of the car ploughing into those poor innocent people on Westminster Bridge. My heart goes out to their families and that of PC Keith Palmer who tackled the terrorist and gave his life to protect others. The police and emergency services reacted brilliantly on the day and there have been 7 arrests overnight. Heartfelt thanks to PC Palmer and his colleagues for ensuring that this incident did not end up being far worse.

A very sad day :cry:

The Tweet sent by Idiot Son #1 was a disgusting attempt to use a tragedy to score cheap political points - yet another unwanted insight into the repulsive lack of morality, intelligence, humanity and common decency that seems to be rampant in that family. And that's the kindest thing I can bring myself to say about them.
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:16 am

Sandra wrote:Something that isn't obvious from outside - something I have seen many, many times as various terrorists have tried to attack London (with varying amounts of 'success') is that the Blitz spirit has never died.

If the immediate roads around Parliament were not closed - the people of London would walk over rubble to get to work, British tourists would still walk over Westminster Bridge and stop for photos with Big Ben in the background. (NB if you want that photo over the next few days - you can get a view from Lambeth bridge).

I foresee that as soon as the roads open people will begin dropping off flowers (which will incense the security forces) for those who lost their lives. Life goes on and 'they' will not stop us.

Well said, that woman!
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 am

My heart just dropped when I heard the news. And, well said Sandra! We cannot allow these attacks to paralyze us. I don't even want to know that the idiot offspring of the faux-president said. :evil:
Catch-up

Postby Sandra » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 am

The moron quoted old news - making it look like the London mayor was dismissing the importance of yesterday's attack.

The quote came from a newspaper interview which included that the mayor had not slept the night after bombs went off in NY, and came to the conclusion that all major global cities will have to live with terrorism as a fact of life - and this has to be included in public safety planning (heavily paraphrased) - part of this was quoted as if it was a response to yesterday's attacks to make the mayor look very heartless rather than someone (in the position to do something) worrying how to prevent loss of life to terrorism

All I can say is WOW how can someone that stupid be related to someone who has succeeded? (regardless how much we hate him he did succeed - not sure what he was aiming to succeed in though)
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Cara » Thu Mar 23, 2017 01:08 pm

This horrific event will only make Britain stronger. As Sandra said, we've lived through the IRA terrorist attacks, and only us could call those events "troubles" as if it was the actions of a problematic toddler. My thoughts are with those affected by this attack and I'm so grateful that access to guns is restricted in this country.
Cara

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 02:12 pm

One of our local MP's tried to save the life of the injured police officer. Today Martyn is in London, a few doors down from the incident, I asked him today to keep in touch if he can, though I think he will see more armed officers in London than usual. I know he will be fine, we cannot let radicalism and terrorism take over.
I am still a bit twitchy , and will be glad when he is home. Yesterday evenings news was terrible.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Sandra » Thu Mar 23, 2017 09:31 pm

I think that MP deserves cake - those who know him report it is exactly what they would expect of him - but he still deserves cake!
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Mar 24, 2017 04:00 am

I'm glad you guys are okay. It was hard to get the details of what happened.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Alan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 03:25 pm

Had to unblock the main house drain again :shock:
Think I'm now a fully paid up member of the dunnikin divers guild.....
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Mike Rafael » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:27 am

Super nasty weather conditions today. In addition I didn't sleep all night.
Mike Rafael

Postby phazedout » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 pm

Mostly sad and nobody has posted about it elsehwere so I'm going to combine some thoughts here alongside my partial facebook post.
As some of you who've encountered me know, ast august I shared a room at dwcon with three ladies. I only even got to go becuase one of the wonderful ladies, Gwist Paucard had spare tickets and offered onen to me. In the vicinity of Monday, she died. I have literally zero details on this, but please read my facebook post on the topic, below
I have, in the past expressed concern over the WASPish nature of discwOrld fandom, did we self select, did those of other ethnicity feel excluded due to rarity. Gwist was a wonderful, joyful exception. She filled the room with smiles and joy. When I read later night of her death, I desperately hoped it was a mistake. We didn't interact much except face to face. I had the luck and joy to share a room with her at the last con in the UK. It's hard to believe she's gone. The scientist in me wants, nay demands an explanation . The Discworld er misses my friend.
Far well gwist, the world will be a slightly darker place without you to light it up
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Pat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:51 am

phazedout wrote:I only even got to go becuase one of the wonderful ladies, Gwist Paucard had spare tickets and offered onen to me. In the vicinity of Monday, she died. I have literally zero details on this, but please read my facebook post on the topic, below

Very sad to hear this. I can't rememebr which Con I first met her at but I bumped intop her several times and she was a wonderful person (Discworld people are generally special but she really was specially special.)
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table