Discworld

What made you glum today?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What made you glum today?

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 06:54 pm

Customer visit on Wednesday,the way some people are flapping about,you'd think the Queen was coming!
Absolutely fed up with one particular individual,can't repeat some of the names that he is being referred to as :shock:
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Cara » Mon Apr 11, 2016 07:28 pm

I know the feeling, we've got the CQC coming tomorrow. Flapping everywhere! I'm not fussed, at their last visit I was shadowed all morning by one of the inspectors.
Cara

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 08:07 pm

Cara wrote:I know the feeling, we've got the CQC coming tomorrow. Flapping everywhere! I'm not fussed, at their last visit I was shadowed all morning by one of the inspectors.

I'm not fussed,they are visiting another line,I'm sitting back enjoying the show :D
There's more flapping going on than a flock of frightened seagulls!
Not seen panic like this since the Chinese visited back in the early 90's,we scrubbed everything until it begged for mercy,and the buggers never stepped through the door of the section!
They just peered through the window.......
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Sandra » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Bad day - tons to ship this week and then the client's server has a space issue. To access the files i had to play global pass the parcel....

Client partner (US) puts file on server A (I can't access it) - tells client (could be anywhere), who tells our client manager (Possibly New Delhi), who tells me - I find someone able to access server A and who is willing to loose half a day copying files from server A to server B (different Indian city) - I then spend hours downloading from server B, validating and working out how many CDs I need for each file and which EU city to ship to...

And then there is the missing files - and the confusion of exactly which format each licence and country needs...

About 12 CDs left tomorrow before I spend hours arranging the courier

Oh and I misjudged how many padded envelopes I needed - so my day included a trip to Staples too.

I love days with inspectors - I'm never assessed as I don't do content. After checking clean desk and lock screen I can sit back and watch the office trying not to be an anthill
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 06:16 pm

Today was the day of the customer visit,they were in meetings all day,so they didn't come onto the shop floor!!!! :roll:
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:41 am

Words cannot express my Fear and Loathing of what has happened. The very worst elements of our society now feel empowered and will be flexing their muscles. Even the Leave voters who have been so cruelly deceived by the promises of our soon to be dictators will come to rue this day. Britain First will be laughing all the way to the gun shops that will soon be re-opening if the loathsome man Farage has his way. There will be many more Thomas Mairs, and many more victims of hate. Racists and thugs will soon be looking for someone to blame when the golden apples of the sun fail to rain down, and who will they be picking on? Employers will be cutting wages, and turning the clock back to the "Good old days" of mass unemployment, and only the "Right sort of people" will be able to find jobs. The asset stripping of the NHS has already begun, and the carpetbaggers will be moving into the City and the stock market this very morning. A climate of fear, not seen since the great depression and the rise of the Blackshirts, will pervade our society. There will be more Cable Streets, (alas with no such inspiring results), and any liberal thinkers amongst the judiciary will soon find themselves sidelined and purged. I can only hope that one day the leave voters will understand what they did for their grandchildren yesterday. That they were lied to by people who never had their interests at heart will become apparent all to soon. The NHS will be the first casualty, as Farage took back his false promises within a matter of hours. Be very afraid...
Last edited by Murgatroyd on Fri Jun 24, 2016 03:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Stew d'Apples » Fri Jun 24, 2016 03:02 pm

I feel your pain. I've never sang from the roof tops but I've always liked the idea and enjoyed the benefits. I've been especially glum and felt as I did last May when the scum got back in.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 03:24 pm

Not only have they succeeded in taking us out of the European Union, but they might very well succeed in breaking up the United Kingdom itself - both Scotland and Northern Ireland are talking about an independence referendum . . .

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a steamtrain coming the other way . . .
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 04:00 pm

Thanks Stu, Thanks Grace,
I could have gone on to mention how badly this decision will affect me personally, but my personal problems, (Like trying to support my wife in Thailand, and pay off her mortgage and car loan), pale into insignificance compared with the overall situation. I appreciate your good words.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Jun 25, 2016 04:06 am

Well, I still love you guys, if that helps at all <3
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Cara » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:42 am

Murgatroyd, we didn't need to wait for the outcome of the referendum for the NHS to be attacked, governments have been setting it up to fail and privatising by stealth for a decade now. All the community services where I work are out to tender, who I work for are out of the picture and there's a 50% chance that come April I will either be employed by Virgin or a massive American Healthcare company.
Cara

Postby Murgatroyd » Sat Jun 25, 2016 01:35 pm

Thanks Nonny, Greatly appreciated. Hugs right back at you!
Cara, I know... It's been going on for some time, and it's terrible. We're heading for a "Breaking Bad" setup where only those who can afford medical care will get any. And I fully understand that committed health workers will soon find themselves faced with a choice between the dole (yeast) queue and signing a zero hours contract with whatever "Provider" wins the lowest bid tender. As someone approaching 60 and anticipating an uncertain future and a means tested pension, (if I'm lucky), I'm not overjoyed to say the least.
I'm just waiting for the "New British" Soylent green initiative...
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby phalarope » Sun Jun 26, 2016 01:25 am

Massive hugs to all in the Remain camp - even as an American I feel kicked in the gut. I listened to the returns all night and just wanted to cry. It was like watching a beloved parent slashing their own wrists in slow motion. Seeing the pound tank and my dollars gain value has no real joy when I know it affects so many of my friends at retirement age, and the young people of the UK who now face much more limited prospects. :( :( :(
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jun 26, 2016 07:33 pm

I hate living away from home :(

That is all
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jun 26, 2016 08:01 pm

chrisboote wrote:I hate living away from home :(

That is all
Awwwww, you old softie :wink: I bet Julia and Mr Py are missing you loads too! Do you have any idea of an end date yet?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table