Discworld

Weather in your spot on the map.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Weather in your spot on the map.

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Dec 10, 2017 04:28 pm

It's... a little chilly out at night and first thing in the morning. :P
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 09:38 am

Today in Hampshire its cold, wet /windy with rain/sleet/snow all at once. Lovley day for a Yeti, awful for human beings!
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 am

I.B.Igor wrote:Today in Hampshire its cold, wet /windy with rain/sleet/snow all at once. Lovley day for a Yeti, awful for human beings!

Today in Sussex is somewhat similar, except I'm feeling it rather more as I just came back from 3 weeks work in Sicily (20-25C lunchtime temperatures and generally T-shirt weather). Somehow I think I need to reacclimatise...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 01:26 pm

According to the QI elves on the Book of selfieFace the past tense of "snow" used to be "snew", which is rather pleasing :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Mon Dec 11, 2017 01:41 pm

After waiting for over two hours at Reading on Sunday in sub-zero temperatures for trains that never arrived, or arrived but had literally no space to get on, or arrived but were re-routed or had their final destination cut short, I abandoned it, and tried to get to Bristol by coach
To find that the M4 was closed due to "adverse weather and related traffic incidents" so no coaches from Heathrow to Bristol
So excuse me if I curse this frickin' stupid weather and the frickin' stupid morons who can't run a transport infrastructure
:(
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby phalarope » Mon Dec 11, 2017 03:21 pm

That stinks Chris! :evil: Hugs!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 04:51 pm

chrisboote wrote:After waiting for over two hours at Reading on Sunday in sub-zero temperatures for trains that never arrived, or arrived but had literally no space to get on, or arrived but were re-routed or had their final destination cut short, I abandoned it, and tried to get to Bristol by coach
To find that the M4 was closed due to "adverse weather and related traffic incidents" so no coaches from Heathrow to Bristol
So excuse me if I curse this frickin' stupid weather and the frickin' stupid morons who can't run a transport infrastructure
:(

Just spotted this on Twitter . . .
HaveIGotNewsForYou‏
@haveigotnews

Commuters left stranded as hundreds of train services are cancelled. And in areas where it has snowed it’s even worse.

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Tue Dec 12, 2017 09:23 pm

We got proper snow today.
Luckily I'm in a country that's actually setup to deal with it, pretty much zero impact on transit.
I was delighted, i *like* snow (wel it would be rather silly to move to finland if I didn't) but i ate lunch at my desk so I could go for a 20 minute stroll in it today, happy snow filled phaze.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 04:30 pm

It's official - from his honoured position on the stage at Gobbler's Knob, Punxsutawney Phil says it's gonna be 6 more weeks of winter!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-42920504/groundhog-day-punxsutawney-phil-makes-prediction

Why aren't any channels showing Groundhog Day today?! It's my favourite Bill Murray film :)
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Feb 04, 2018 03:44 am

We didn't have any winter at all, so..
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby steveastrouk » Sun Feb 04, 2018 08:47 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:It's official - from his honoured position on the stage at Gobbler's Knob, Punxsutawney Phil says it's gonna be 6 more weeks of winter!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-42920504/groundhog-day-punxsutawney-phil-makes-prediction

We live about 40 miles from Punxsutawney, there was no snow on Friday, today we have snow ploughs driving up the road every 30 minutes. Should have 200mm/8" or so on Tuesday

Steve
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 09:07 pm

steveastrouk wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:It's official - from his honoured position on the stage at Gobbler's Knob, Punxsutawney Phil says it's gonna be 6 more weeks of winter!!!

We live about 40 miles from Punxsutawney, there was no snow on Friday, today we have snow ploughs driving up the road every 30 minutes. Should have 200mm/8" or so on Tuesday

Steve
And over here in the UK, the weather forecast for the next week is for the coldest weather of the winter so far - if I was the owner of Phil, I'd be getting that groundhog to pick out some lottery numbers :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Selkie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Over here, the 2nd of Feb is called Candlemas Day and it also has weather lore attached to it. At work on Friday I was told (something like) If Candlemas Day be clear and fair, the half o' the winter's to come and mair. And it was clear and fair - so we shall see what's to come.
Selkie

Postby Basement » Mon Feb 05, 2018 09:42 am

Grace Speaker wrote:
Why aren't any channels showing Groundhog Day today?! It's my favourite Bill Murray film :)

Sky Cinema was, all day on repeat!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am

Basement wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:

Sky Cinema was, all day on repeat!
Well, that's fitting! I don't get Sky on my stupid Virgin Media cable thingy! I've really got to sort out my technology, I miss out on all of the good stuff!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table