Discworld

Weather in your spot on the map.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Weather in your spot on the map.

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Nov 01, 2019 05:36 pm

Perfect weather on Halloween, cool enough to wear costumes without sweating but warm enough to hang outside without feeling chilly. :D
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:00 pm

So today we had a rare phenomenononon that I've come to think of as 'British summer rain'. I haven't been in England for all kinds of weather, I know, but I remember distinctly one trip, experiencing a misty sort of rain that couldn't seem to decide if it was fog or rain, and I couldn't decide if I needed an umbrella or not. It was notable to me because I was confused by it.

Usually when it rains here, it has to want to very badly, and comes down in buckets and big fat drops that are large enough not to get sucked back into the hungry dry air on the way down. It has to MEAN it. So when this weird, tiny-floaty-droplet misty rain happened, I thought of summer in England.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby steeljam » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:So today we had a rare phenomenononon that I've come to think of as 'British summer rain'. I haven't been in England for all kinds of weather, I know, but I remember distinctly one trip, experiencing a misty sort of rain that couldn't seem to decide if it was fog or rain, and I couldn't decide if I needed an umbrella or not. It was notable to me because I was confused by it.
Usually when it rains here, it has to want to very badly, and comes down in buckets and big fat drops that are large enough not to get sucked back into the hungry dry air on the way down. It has to MEAN it. So when this weird, tiny-floaty-droplet misty rain happened, I thought of summer in England.

Us British talk about the weather a lot so we have at least one word for it.
From your description I would venture Scotch mist or drizzle. The type of rain that gets into the seams of your clothes and makes you damp insie.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jan 22, 2020 02:41 am

From the list I think Mizzle was the most accurate, although some were missing elaborate descriptions.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Mon Aug 03, 2020 05:20 pm

$(*%^(*#!! tropical storm Isaias. :evil: I'm gonna take a direct hit. :evil: :evil:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 03:52 pm

Yikes! Stay safe.

I wish we had rain. It's looking like a very dry monsoon season so far. Plus we are getting a lot of smoke from the fires in Southern California, which makes the air weird and hazy.

Also we had the hottest July on record, and it sucks. :evil:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Tue Aug 04, 2020 08:54 pm

It was a direct hit - the eye came over around 10 am and I thought it was all over since folks to the west of me were getting hit much harder. Um- no, lol. Got another 2 hours of 40-50 mph winds, but no real damage here, thank Om, just a lot of tree bits all over the yard. We did lose a big pine tree at the other house, and damage to some young locusts that we hope we can save. It could have been much worse, and we can be thankful it was "only" a tropical storm and not a hurricane. Now - can I ask who comes up with the unusual and unpronounceable names for storms these days? A computer? A committee? Nobody knew what to do with Isaias - so why not Isaiah? :roll: :roll: I left the hummingbird feeder out and the little fierce things were feeding throughout the storm! :shock: :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Penners » Wed Aug 05, 2020 06:31 am

I'm glad no one was hurt, Phalarope. My only real experience of a tropical storm was when I was in Bermuda, trying to play golf in one. The wind made it 'interesting' but the lightning, when it started, caused us to drop our clubs in the middle of the fairway and leg it some distance away. (We knew better than to try and shelter under a tree, btw, although it was tempting.)
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 08, 2020 09:07 pm

Oh man Carol! Not fun. But how funny the hummingbirds kept feeding!

Len, that was the right move! When I was really young, my dad was leaving a course for the same reason and saw someone else struck and killed by lightening.
Catch-up

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Aug 31, 2020 04:53 pm

Hurray hurray September is just about here, which means, like a switch has been flipped, the temperature drops 10 degrees :sunny: This means we're still around 100, mind you, but going outside now just feels hot as opposed to like walking into a sledgehammer of heat. And the evenings and mornings become pleasant, which really takes the edge off. The worst of year is over! :sunny:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table