Discworld

Weather in your spot on the map.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Weather in your spot on the map.

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Today started cloudy, then it drizzled for a bit, then it rained, and stopped, and now its rained hard/heavy/chucking it down/stair rods / cats and dogs in the last few hours. Saturday Martyn put together his new water butt, Sunday evening it was full. Whats the weather doing where you are ?
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Re: Weather in your spot on the map.

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 25, 2015 01:18 pm

Right now, here in London it is absolutely p*$$ing it down :(

But on the plus side, Felix, the little stray kitten who adopted us back at the end of April, has worked out that when he comes in from the rain he gets a thorough rub down with a hand towel which he absolutely loves :meow: so much so that I swear he will go out the cat flap again a few minutes later and come back in again once he's thoroughly soaked, just so that he can get a lovely rub down all over again :roll: :D :wink:

Even when the skies are laden with their very darkest grey clouds and the rain is coming down in buckets, this daft little bugger is more proof, if such is still needed, that cats are one of the best antidotes to depression known to modern science :meow: It is impossible not to smile when a little wet ball of fluff is bounding towards you, wanting nothing more than to be wrapped up in a towel and given a cuddle, wearing that expression that they have of 'yes, I know I've been naughty but I'm far too cute for you to be cross at', and all the while purring like a steam train :D :meow: :D

"Cats. Cats are nice."
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Aug 25, 2015 04:33 pm

Awwww! :D

It's hot and muggy today, clouds and we're expecting some rain maybe, if it can fight its way down through the heat.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 06:09 pm

So London got it too, nice to know its not just Hampshire Grace, and Felix sounds adorable! naughty kitty that he is, your quite right, cats are great, Dinky our tabby is the only cat I know that has an inaudible purr, if you cuddle her, you have to put a finger on her throat, and you can feel the purr, not hear it.
Even as s kitten she had a silent purr, and her vocal chords are fine, she meows like any other cat. :meow: she is just a bit odd.
Today she went out in a damp spell, came back in and slept all afternoon on the sofa, avoiding the deluge.

Nonny I shall send you some of our rain, looking at tomorrows and Thursdays weather report, we can spare you some. Hope it cools off soon!
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby I.B.Igor » Wed Aug 26, 2015 07:37 am

It just rained for half an hour, so hard I expected to see Noah and his ark float past on the street. Dinky our cat HID under the sofa until it stopped. This is one soggy end to August. :(
I.B.Igor

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 am

I.B.Igor wrote:It just rained for half an hour, so hard I expected to see Noah and his ark float past on the street. Dinky our cat HID under the sofa until it stopped. This is one soggy end to August. :(
Awww, bless 'im!!
My Oscar does the same thing as he's terrified of thunder - he doesn't even wait for the noise to start - the second he spots lightning, he shoots downstairs and dives straight under the large armchair in the living room and all that you can see until the storm passes is a nervous nose and set of twitching whiskers :meow:

The weather has been so pants this August that my confused pear tree already thinks it's autumn and it's leaves are beginning to turn :(
Last edited by Grace Speaker on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:12 pm

I've been yelled at by Buster when it's raining, giving me the impression that he's telling me to do something about the damn weather!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 05:34 am

Hey thanks for the rain! It came in nice and hard today :D
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 08:17 am

Glad you got it Nonny, and thank you for the spot of sunshine today, with the odd cloud, it must be better today, as Dinky has gone out, to patrol her patch.
I expect her to be in her usual spot soon, trying to pretend not to be asleep on the kitchen table, it means if another cat sneaks into the garden she can give them a telling off, without the danger of getting too close.

Aww, Jax, your kitty thinks as you provide everything else, warmth, food, light when its dark, and operate a tin can opener, then you an obviously control the weather. :meow:
I.B.Igor

Postby phalarope » Wed Sep 30, 2015 05:14 pm

Hurricane Joaquin bodes. Ugh.
Last edited by phalarope on Thu Oct 01, 2015 01:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby steeljam » Wed Sep 30, 2015 07:32 pm

Perfect day. Warm to hot. Autumnal white fluffy clouds skitting across the sky making interesting patterns and shadows*.

* I was on a photo-trail through the Inns of London this morning with a group of Nikon photographers and David, an American guide**.

** He has a Ph.D in Dickens.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Sep 30, 2015 08:11 pm

Unseasonably warm here, but temp supposed to drop about 10 degrees by Friday. I'll take it.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Oct 01, 2015 06:32 am

This week has been surprisingly sunny, and quite warm, and today being the First of October is now turning out to be sunny and warm too. :sunny: I am celebrating this unusual weather by putting my bath towels on the line to dry. :D ( enjoying it while I can )
I.B.Igor

Postby Basement » Thu Oct 01, 2015 09:04 am

There's a bright, golden haze over Croydon.

It's quite warm and pleasant.

Hope Joachin doesn't do much damage, Carole!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby phalarope » Thu Oct 01, 2015 01:16 pm

7-10 inches of rain forecast from Joaquin! :shock: Flood watch is already in effect due to current rain, and the edge of Joachin won't get here until Saturday night. I should be OK in St. Michaels, but Mate is at the other house on a hummock of high ground in the midst of a vast wetland. He may have to tie a boat to the front door handle! I'm trying to convince him to leave - there's absolutely nothing he can do in the face of a flood - we know that from what happened during Sandy.
Last edited by phalarope on Thu Oct 01, 2015 01:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table