Discworld

Weather in your spot on the map.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Weather in your spot on the map.

Postby Stew d'Apples » Fri Sep 02, 2016 09:53 pm

phalarope wrote:Tropical storm Hermine* forecast for the weekend. Grrrrrrr. Wind. Rain. Tidal flooding. And it's a holiday weekend, too. :(

Someone I work with is half way through a two week holiday. The first week was a cruise in the Caribbean , this week is in Florida. I hope he and his family are ok.

phalarope wrote:*and what's with that name?? How do you pronounce it? Her-meen? Her-mine?? Ermin?? What's wrong with Hermione?? Afraid JK Rowling and Emma Watson might sue??? Huff

I think your version of the Met Office probably worried they'd be picketed by the Christian fundies for promoting witchcraft.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby phalarope » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:06 am

Stew d'Apples wrote:
phalarope wrote:*and what's with that name?? How do you pronounce it? Her-meen? Her-mine?? Ermin?? What's wrong with Hermione?? Afraid JK Rowling and Emma Watson might sue??? Huff

I think your version of the Met Office probably worried they'd be picketed by the Christian fundies for promoting witchcraft.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 07:17 am

Today is cold, clear and FROSTY in Hampshire, and now feels and smells very November-y , it must be chilly, as Dinky the cat has refused to go out this morning! :meow:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby phalarope » Thu Nov 03, 2016 09:33 pm

Today is unseasonably warm... not November-y at all. Upper 70's. Sunny. Light southwesterly breezes. Just right for a nap after lunch. Shame I was at work at the time. :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 08:29 am

phalarope wrote:Today is unseasonably warm... not November-y at all. Upper 70's. Sunny. Light southwesterly breezes. Just right for a nap after lunch. Shame I was at work at the time. :lol:

I'm green with envy Carol, hows the oysters and the bay doing,......I can swap you for a few weeks if you want..No?...didn't think so. :(
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby phalarope » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:30 am

I.B.Igor wrote:
phalarope wrote:Today is unseasonably warm... not November-y at all. Upper 70's. Sunny. Light southwesterly breezes. Just right for a nap after lunch. Shame I was at work at the time. :lol:

I'm green with envy Carol, hows the oysters and the bay doing,......I can swap you for a few weeks if you want..No?...didn't think so. :(

Oysters are sad - seems to be shaping up to be a bad disease year. :( :( for them, interesting for me. I was really bummed the week I was on the sampling boat - I took out a jar of cocktail sauce, figuring I could augment my lunch with a few on the half-shell, and they shucked out so poorly I was not tempted to eat a single one. :( :(

Tooting my own horn a bit - yesterday I was tasked with doing a Mayer's hematoxylin and eosin stain on 75 slides of oyster tissues, our standard stain. The new histology lab manager asked me if I needed her to give me the protocol sheet. Poor dear, I've stained over 6000 oyster slides plus a slew from other species with MHE over the course of 16 years - I can do an MHE from memory in my sleep with my hands tied behind me blindfolded hanging from my ankles while singing America The Beautiful. :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:34 am

Weather finally broke, we're in the cool season finally!!! 60's at night and 80's in the day. Love it. :sunny:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby chrisboote » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Weather finally broke, we're in the cool season finally!!! 60's at night and 80's in the day. Love it. :sunny:

I really should emigrate to Arizona for Oct-Jan, Cape Town for May-Sep and the UK is ok for Feb-Apr
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 04:16 pm

You really should, then you can spend the holidays with us! :D
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby hansolobiker » Wed Nov 09, 2016 09:04 am

Snowing in Leeds!
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Postby Basement » Wed Nov 09, 2016 09:19 am

I think that it's stopped peeing down. But the weather has already taken its toll where I work as a Croydon tram has overturned in a flooded tunnel. :shock:
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby I.B.Igor » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Basement wrote:I think that it's stopped peeing down. But the weather has already taken its toll where I work as a Croydon tram has overturned in a flooded tunnel. :shock:

Eeeep! Hope everyone is OK , and your safe and dry Jax .
I.B.Igor

Postby annebn » Wed Nov 09, 2016 04:15 pm

No snow in Copenhagen, but quite a lot as soon as you cross the bridge to Sweden. Cold and windy on both sides.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Not 'my spot', strictly or even loosely speaking, but there's been a white rainbow spotted in the Scottish Highlands . . .

"Waily, waily waily!! The Gentry are a'comin'!" :shock:

Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Wed Nov 23, 2016 03:07 am

Windy. Really really windy. There has been a great dumping of leaves in my yard. And cold. Threatening to freeze overnight. Time to crawl under the covers with the electric mattress pad...
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table