Discworld

Weather in your spot on the map.

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Weather in your spot on the map.

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 23, 2016 03:55 pm

Up until a few days ago we were in the 60's and 70's too. Weirdly warm, but we were grateful for it! It's chilly now, only in the 30's with just a little snow on the ground. A friend who lives in town posted a picture from this time last year on her FB page and it was knee deep snow! Looking ahead, it looks like we're in for more unseasonably warm weather (if only in the 50's) and rain. I don't mind getting genuine winter weather, it's just always depressing how long it usually lasts here.

Carol, so sorry about the oysters!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Basement » Thu Nov 24, 2016 09:54 am

Wet. Had to go down to Torquay on Monday on the train. Train was diverted once and then found that the diversion was also flooded. So turfed off the train, waited for coaches which were supposed to take us beyond the problem. After 2 hours on the coach we are turfed off only to find that the trains are still not running, so back on a coach to take us further down the line. My manager got bored of this and arranged for a taxi to take us on the last leg. A six hour journey turned into a 10 hour journey and we were some of the lucky ones; others had it even worse!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 24, 2016 02:53 pm

Yikes Jax! So sorry. :(
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Thu Nov 24, 2016 09:06 pm

After a couple of cold and wet days, the last tow days have been wonderful, especially for bike riding.
A milk run of 60 miles yesterday and another of 70 miles to the bike shop to get new rear shocks fitted. I also took my satnav for repair but they had a problem.
Even my hands didn't get cold.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 25, 2016 02:08 pm

Nice Steve! Living in Michigan, we often segue straight from summer into winter and from winter into summer. There have been years where it felt like we never had any spring or fall. So, I've been grateful for the extended nice weather. I do worry about the effects of climate change though.
Catch-up

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Fri Nov 25, 2016 02:09 pm

We've snow on the hills, but just thick frost in town which lasts all day where the sun doesn't reach, and minus temperature's 2 or 3° I'm sure it will be warmer in Wincanton. :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby phalarope » Sat Jul 22, 2017 03:50 pm

It's hot. Too d**n hot. Mid 90s, plus humidity, feels like 105. Before noon. Melted trying to water the shrubbery.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby steveastrouk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 08:05 pm

phalarope wrote:It's hot. Too d**n hot. Mid 90s, plus humidity, feels like 105. Before noon. Melted trying to water the shrubbery.

Cooler in State College, very humid. Weather is supposed to be drier tomorrow. Been very wet here for weeks, nice day/storms/nice day.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby phalarope » Tue Jul 25, 2017 01:57 am

Holy crap - there was a tornado touched down several miles from here in the wee hours of the morning, with zero warning from the Weather Service. :shock: :shock: Several friends and colleagues live in the neighborhoods most hit, and thankfully there was only one minor injury. The photos of steel power poles bent over are pretty incredible. Many many downed trees, including some very old ones, and lots of damage to houses. It was on the ground for 2 miles. Right now the power company has no estimate of the time it will take to restore power to the area. Washington Post article
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 02:31 am

Thunderstorms lots lately, looks like we'll have a nice wet monsoon season.

Unfortunately a whole family got wiped out by a flash flood in the eastern part of the state, where fires have left the area more vulnerable to flash floods than usual. :cry:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 06:20 am

Its persisting it down in Hampshire, dull grey and raining like hell, the cat is unimpressed, and despite having a five minute window when it only drizzled to dash out to pee, she is now sat at the back door indignatly yowling at the rain. :meow:
It got so chilly yesterday I changed into cosy jogging bottoms, and dug out a zip top hoodie. Where has the summer gone! :( Dinky has now had to use her litter tray, looks like I am in for a grumpy cat day. I want Sunshine! and a happy cat.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby steeljam » Fri Jul 28, 2017 08:27 am

We had a very odd day yesterday. There are roofers next door and they are affected by rain.
Twice the sky was dark with threatening rain clouds and the roofers packed up and went for shelter.
Both times the clouds dispersed within 30 minutes and the roofers went back to work.
Later I went for a walk and during the walk, it rained! Only for 10 minutes, but the sky was pretty clear.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table