Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Aug 03, 2017 03:51 am

I'll tell you what cheers me up... having you guys as friends. I had a seriously hectic and frustrating day, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to sit down at the computer and remember all the fun we've had together, the nice conversations we've had in person and online, and how nice it is to have you all to talk to.

It's nice to feel that you lot get me in ways people I see more often don't, and how I can say things safely there that I can't say in other spaces. I've got nothing but good feels here and it's a great thing to have a safe and comfortable space like this.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 am

Nonny Mouse wrote:I'll tell you what cheers me up... having you guys as friends. I had a seriously hectic and frustrating day, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to sit down at the computer and remember all the fun we've had together, the nice conversations we've had in person and online, and how nice it is to have you all to talk to.

It's nice to feel that you lot get me in ways people I see more often don't, and how I can say things safely there that I can't say in other spaces. I've got nothing but good feels here and it's a great thing to have a safe and comfortable space like this.
Couldn't agree more! Our wonderful Forum seems to be one of the very rare places on the internet where everyone is the sort of person you'd be quite happy to share a pint with down the pub on a regular basis and I love the weird and unpredictable tangents that conversations go off in . . . often resulting in the need to go down the pub for a pint :wink:

Many thanks to the hard work of our Mods, who ensure that any troublemakers are chucked out on their ear sharpish! :thumbl:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Fri Aug 04, 2017 06:09 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Many thanks to the hard work of our Mods, who ensure that any troublemakers are chucked out on their ear sharpish! :thumbl:

They didn't get me yet... :mrgreen:
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Many thanks to the hard work of our Mods, who ensure that any troublemakers are chucked out on their ear sharpish! :thumbl:

They didn't get me yet... :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grace Speaker

Postby Cara » Mon Aug 07, 2017 04:55 pm

Hubby just got interviewed on Radio 2 (about 5.25pm) about the World Goldpanning Championships which are taking place in Moffat, Scotland this week. Not seen him since Thursday, so was nice to hear him again!
Cara

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 08, 2017 07:48 am

A little more info on them here
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am

Cara wrote:Hubby just got interviewed on Radio 2 (about 5.25pm) about the World Goldpanning Championships which are taking place in Moffat, Scotland this week. Not seen him since Thursday, so was nice to hear him again!

Darren - thanks for the link. Fascinating - I had no idea that this was a thing!

Cara - how did your hubby do? :) :bounce:
Grace Speaker

Postby Cara » Tue Aug 08, 2017 06:00 pm

The competition rounds take place throughout the week, with the finals being held on Saturday. They were expecting about 500 competitors. Hubby usually takes part in the main competition and also in the three and sometimes five person teams. He also usually competes in the National team too, but as it's being held in the UK this year, he may let others participate in it instead (ie do pants in the deciding who takes part system!) in previous years, it was held in America last year they've published the results online each day, hoping they'll do that again this year. Their website is http://www.moffatgold2017.com Hubby told me yesterday that he's also going to be on the Chris Evans breakfast show sometime this week.
Thanks for the link to the BBC page Darren, Richard, who stuck his hand up and volunteered Scotland and took on the organisation is one of Hubby's gold panning best mates, hence hubby got roped into stuff.
Cara

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 06:37 pm

. . . if you are careful, and use the correct tools, it is possible to find gold just about anywhere in Scotland. I use the term “correct tools” quite loosely here as I started panning for gold in a fruit bowl and one of the largest nuggets in Scotland was found using a frying pan.
:lol: At last - a use for my dust-covered frying pan!
Grace Speaker

Postby Cara » Tue Aug 08, 2017 07:41 pm

And you can use the frying pan to stop the feegles absconding with the gold too!
Cara

Postby Gaspode » Sat Aug 12, 2017 09:21 pm

Drove past this place 4 times last week.
Stopped the first time just to have a little smile.
Its changed hands but from the outside doesn't look any different.

The location of the 2006 Convention and the first Con I attended and fleeced lots of innocent, sorry willing victims who just kept shoving money into my grubby little hands. :D

And the site for the faster ever Discworld product to go from idea to finished to an OK by Terry. Why O why did I do that??

Me n Bernard sat in them chairs on the last day, relaxing and chatting about stuff.

Just thought you would all like having a memory jolt. Made me happy and set me into a reflective mood for most of the day.

Good times eh?
Gaspode

Postby SANEAlex » Sat Aug 19, 2017 01:00 pm

Gaspode wrote:Drove past this place 4 times last week.

The location of the 2006 Convention and the first Con I attended and fleeced lots of innocent, sorry willing victims who just kept shoving money into my grubby little hands. :D

And the site for the faster ever Discworld product to go from idea to finished to an OK by Terry. Why O why did I do that??

Me n Bernard sat in them chairs on the last day, relaxing and chatting about stuff.

Just thought you would all like having a memory jolt. Made me happy and set me into a reflective mood for most of the day.

Good times eh?

:) Brings back a few good memories IIRC i remember witnessing the event something along the lines wouldn't the Hogfather teeth make good earrings was it not?
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Sat Aug 19, 2017 01:56 pm

It was a bit remote but big enough to hold everyone in one location, I was there for an Eastercon as well.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Sandra » Sat Aug 19, 2017 03:20 pm

Wonderful hotel, Most of the staff were great. Even better memories.

Pity it went downhill - the last year DWCon used that hotel rooms were mouldy (probably due to a flood that hadn't been dried properly) and I mean bright purple/green/yellow mould areas and the food had got so bad we reported them to the local environmental health (I had reports from other cons that year that they had bouts of food poisoning that year).

I do hope they have improved from that point the hotel and staff deserved better.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Gaspode » Sat Aug 19, 2017 09:10 pm

SANEAlex wrote:
Gaspode wrote:Drove past this place 4 times last week.

Good times eh?

:) Brings back a few good memories IIRC i remember witnessing the event something along the lines wouldn't the Hogfather teeth make good earrings was it not?

Yep. VampireCat came up to me n the boy and said they were handing them out. And then asked me what I could do with them. A couple of minutes later we have a pendant.
I think there was a small crowd and quite a few of you started laughing. Rob asked me what we were up too (as if and why ME?)

He then rushed off to Terry with the tooth and from what I was told Terry looked at Rob, smiled and said I could make them and if anyone was silly enough to buy them good luck. Later that day Rob gave me a bag of teeth (there were over 1000)
During the con I made about 75 pendants and some earrings and donated money to the con charity.
I spoke with Terry about this a year or so later and he reckoned that he would have to be careful about stuff he put in the books just in case I had some more crazy ideas. Never got round to doing something from the World of Poo :D :D :D :D
Gaspode

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table