Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jan 02, 2019 01:54 pm

chrisboote wrote:You want more proof of the writers' obsession with number theory?

Just watching an episode an Zach's apartment number is 320

320 is a Leyland number, where 320 = x^y + y^x (2^8 + 8^2 or 256 + 64)
Or maybe they picked 320 for Zack's apartment because it's a perfect square, just like him . . . :wink: :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Wed Jan 02, 2019 08:51 pm

? 320 isn't a perfect square...
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jan 02, 2019 09:04 pm

chrisboote wrote:? 320 isn't a perfect square...

Ooops, my bad! Sorry - I was thinking of 324 :roll: In my defence, I was p*ssed as a newt last night as had quite a few sherries on NY's Day - had a shocking hangover this morning :twisted:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Jan 06, 2019 03:31 pm

YAY it's snowing on us during our annual snow weekend! With actual live snow! In flakes! It's covered everything (also the place I rented has a garage so that does not include my car).
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 09, 2019 08:37 pm

I bought a new car! The Honda CR-V. I'm going to be sad to say goodbye to my little Focus though. I've driven it for 15 years!
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Neil Gaiman has Tweeted what is definitly my favourite quote of the year so far:

Neil Gaiman @neilhimself

The zombie tit menace has never been properly communicated until now.

Great tits are killing birds and eating their brains. Climate change may be to blame.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sun Jan 13, 2019 01:44 am

It's snowing! :D :bounce: I'm stocked up on bird seed and don't have to be anywhere tomorrow. :thumbl:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phazedout » Sun Jan 13, 2019 07:45 am

phalarope wrote:It's snowing! :D :bounce: I'm stocked up on bird seed and don't have to be anywhere tomorrow. :thumbl:

The question is, is the new bird seed food plan your goal for 2019? perhaps throwing in some bread and hot meals for a more balanced diet might help
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 02:14 pm

Watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the first time in years while doing the ironing and this made me spit my tea out laughing:

One unspecified 'scientist' to the other as crew of a WWII missing airplane get off the alien Mothership and introduce themselves:

"Look at that - they haven't even aged. Einstein was right."

Older scientist says: "Einstein was probably one of them . . ."

:lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sat Jan 26, 2019 08:14 pm

Whoever posted the link to a Tim Minchin youtube (possibly Grace) - I love you and want to have your babies! DVDs and CDs added to the collection. :D :D I'm wandering about the house crooning "I can have a dark side, too. Yippee!!".
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:27 pm

phalarope wrote:Whoever posted the link to a Tim Minchin youtube (possibly Grace) - I love you and want to have your babies! DVDs and CDs added to the collection. :D :D I'm wandering about the house crooning "I can have a dark side, too. Yippee!!".
I'm not guilty on this one - for a change! But I love Tim Minchin, so please re-post the links here :D :D :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Tue Jan 29, 2019 09:02 pm

I managed to yawn today!

Ok you need an explanation: some of you will be aware that I've been having problems not feeling things - including injuries...years of tests and steadily worsening symptoms and I was really getting worried I would hurt myself - before Christmas I broke a tooth, all the way down and into the root! IT DIDN'T HURT. When the dentist managed to get into the tooth it was seriously infected.

That was my warning to be careful as I wasn't feeling important pain.

I have now gotten a diagnosis - FND. Which as far as I can tell is basically the exact polar opposite of FMS (which I also have). No I do not understand what is going on other than I now do not process signals correctly.

Winding on - Friday night I was at the local urgent care center as the 'funny feeling' in my ear was stopping me from eating. I got antibiotics. Saturday I couldn't drive, the 'funny feeling' was worse and I was feverish, my ear canal sealed closed - still no pain. Sunday I was in excruciating pain through the seriously strong (multiple times stronger than morphine) pain killers, and finding swallowing saliva difficult. Monday got a bit better and this morning on my way to a GP appointment I was yawning for the first time since Friday.

Now it wasn't pain stopping me, it was the swelling in my ear stopping the jaw moving!

GP gave me ear drops and now that my ear canal is occasionally open I can hear something from that ear! By tomorrow I might be able to eat properly :D
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 03:42 pm

Sandra wrote:I managed to yawn today!

Ok you need an explanation: some of you will be aware that I've been having problems not feeling things - including injuries...years of tests and steadily worsening symptoms and I was really getting worried I would hurt myself - before Christmas I broke a tooth, all the way down and into the root! IT DIDN'T HURT. When the dentist managed to get into the tooth it was seriously infected.

That was my warning to be careful as I wasn't feeling important pain.

I have now gotten a diagnosis - FND. Which as far as I can tell is basically the exact polar opposite of FMS (which I also have). No I do not understand what is going on other than I now do not process signals correctly.

Winding on - Friday night I was at the local urgent care center as the 'funny feeling' in my ear was stopping me from eating. I got antibiotics. Saturday I couldn't drive, the 'funny feeling' was worse and I was feverish, my ear canal sealed closed - still no pain. Sunday I was in excruciating pain through the seriously strong (multiple times stronger than morphine) pain killers, and finding swallowing saliva difficult. Monday got a bit better and this morning on my way to a GP appointment I was yawning for the first time since Friday.

Now it wasn't pain stopping me, it was the swelling in my ear stopping the jaw moving!

GP gave me ear drops and now that my ear canal is occasionally open I can hear something from that ear! By tomorrow I might be able to eat properly :D
You poor thing! Is there anything that can be done to improve the symptoms of the FND or FMS* for you?

How is Adrian getting on with Humira, BTW? Has it improved things for him?

* am embarrassed to say that I had to look those acronyms up :oops:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Wed Jan 30, 2019 06:40 pm

Adrian is doing OK on Humera - being only every two weeks does make it easier (he's stopped complaining the bruises last more than 4 injections).

As far as for me - both FMS and FND are 'treat the symptoms' as neither really have a cause. So while the FMS gives me pain (= painkillers) and the FND makes me stop feeling pain :? I have actually reduced the amount of painkillers I take. But it looks like I will have to be so much more careful.

Considering it took me a decade to really get used to FMS, I do hope I adapt faster to FND. The fun bit comes when the symptoms overlap - I now get a double dose of mind fog!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 pm

Sandra wrote:Adrian is doing OK on Humera - being only every two weeks does make it easier (he's stopped complaining the bruises last more than 4 injections).

As far as for me - both FMS and FND are 'treat the symptoms' as neither really have a cause. So while the FMS gives me pain (= painkillers) and the FND makes me stop feeling pain :? I have actually reduced the amount of painkillers I take. But it looks like I will have to be so much more careful.

Considering it took me a decade to really get used to FMS, I do hope I adapt faster to FND. The fun bit comes when the symptoms overlap - I now get a double dose of mind fog!
Glad Adrian is adapting to Humira well. I do get some bruising at the injection sites as well - it usually only lasts a few days now that I've switched to injecting the tops of my thighs instead of my tummy.

Yes - please make sure you take care of yourself! Perhaps it might be an idea to start doing routine a top to toe check-for-injury routine, twice a day maybe?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table