Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby steeljam » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:13 pm

phalarope wrote:My covid-19 test came back negative. Along with the rest of my agency, I have been sent home to telework for at least 2 weeks, complete with microscope, on flextime. I flexed my time today to accommodate a 3 hour kayak trip with Laura (yes, we kept 6 feet apart the entire time). It's 80 degrees out there - time for some sunshine! Saw loads of turtles, birdies, and a beaver!
We don't have tests in the UK. You have to be admitted to hospital to be tested. It makes out death toll look very high.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Sandra » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:12 am

Since my older niece and nephew are no longer at school (their Dad is working from home too) I thought I would do something retro - I wrote them letters.

Om only knows what their reaction to pieces of paper coming through the letter box will be.

Today we have sunshine, I've got seedlings out beginning their hardening off and (if they arrive) I'm planting onion sets.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 04:25 pm

phalarope wrote:My covid-19 test came back negative. Along with the rest of my agency, I have been sent home to telework for at least 2 weeks, complete with microscope, on flextime. I flexed my time today to accommodate a 3 hour kayak trip with Laura (yes, we kept 6 feet apart the entire time). It's 80 degrees out there - time for some sunshine! Saw loads of turtles, birdies, and a beaver!

I'm super glad to hear that! Hi to Laura!
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Mar 21, 2020 04:38 pm

So my husband has had a cold for some days, and when I got home from NWDWWIII Monday night, he kissed me on the lips. I said, "Oh! You must be feeling better." At which point his face fell...

Twenty-four hours later I felt it coming on. Hasn't been too bad, although I did feel thoroughly crappy Thursday night. Since then I've been sleeping a lot but otherwise doing well, and don't have a cough or anything that's alarming.

Neither of us has any particular reason to believe it's covid, but it has crossed our minds. But testing is hard to get and unless we are convinced it is, it's not worth using up the scarce supply. Anyway, both our workplaces are enforcing working from home, and all local restaurants are take-out only. It's hard for all four of us to be cooped up.

BUT:

--I went shopping at 7am and felt like I hit the lottery when I obtained both toilet paper and bread.
--We have a hammock that I bought but we never opened. I'm going to set it up in the backyard today.
--I upgraded my Netflix account so the kids can watch shows at the same time.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 21, 2020 08:30 pm

Great news Carol! And so glad you guys got out kayaking.

Nonny, hope you guys are well soon. I'm so sorry you're sick at a time like this. It's got to be very stressful. Hope you all can get outside a bit.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Mar 22, 2020 02:27 am

Thanks!

Well I'm feeling better - a little tired, but no other symptoms at all. So yay, nothing to worry about, and I am totally teasing my husband about my immune system being stronger :P

Also the hammock is nice. The cat is amused.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Sun Mar 22, 2020 05:59 pm

steeljam wrote:
We don't have tests in the UK. You have to be admitted to hospital to be tested. It makes out death toll look very high.

I confess I feel quite guilty for being given a test when I had zero symptoms and only foreign travel as a trigger. There are others in my community who have been denied testing,even in the face of debilitating and specific symptoms. A family friend was eventually hospitalized with covid-19 when she arrived at the ER with less than 50% oxygen saturation. She had been denied testing 3 times while her symptoms were less dire. This is awful, and stupid when compared to my doctor visit, which was for a mild sinus infection post a head cold. I just wanted treatment so I wouldn't get worse. The good news is she has recovered and is home. And we've had no contact with her since early February, so Mate and I are clear.

I'm glad to know folks are still healthy and managing the disruption to life. Virtual hugs to all my Discworld family!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby dried_frog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 06:56 pm

phalarope wrote:
steeljam wrote:

I confess I feel quite guilty for being given a test when I had zero symptoms and only foreign travel as a trigger. There are others in my community who have been denied testing,even in the face of debilitating and specific symptoms. A family friend was eventually hospitalized with covid-19 when she arrived at the ER with less than 50% oxygen saturation. She had been denied testing 3 times while her symptoms were less dire. This is awful, and stupid when compared to my doctor visit, which was for a mild sinus infection post a head cold. I just wanted treatment so I wouldn't get worse. The good news is she has recovered and is home. And we've had no contact with her since early February, so Mate and I are clear.

I'm glad to know folks are still healthy and managing the disruption to life. Virtual hugs to all my Discworld family!

Glad you are fine! :D

I had no answer from you for my last pm ... I was afraid something had happened to you! :?

Phew! :sunny:
"It's still magic even if you know how it's done."
dried_frog

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Mar 23, 2020 01:40 am

I made sidewalk art today, stained-glass style. :D

Day 2 of hammock, cat figured out how to lay on my stomach/lap combo without causing undo comfort. :meow:

Getting curbside takeout, for relief of cooking.

The store had most things I wanted (milk, veggies, fruit, cheese, eggs), but no ground beef. I got ground turkey instead and we'll do some experimenting. My daughter is game, and may not try it under other circumstances. I may have to get a bit creative but we've got enough of the important things. They even had a bit of canned soup and some off-brand boxed pasta.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Mme les Deux-Epees » Mon Mar 23, 2020 06:52 pm

What cheered me up today was hearing a wren singing in the garden and then watching it looking for somewhere to build a nest. I have also given up watching or listening to the news more than once a day
Cazza no7 of The Dolly Sisters
Mme les Deux-Epees

Postby Catch-up » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:05 pm

Carol, I'm so glad your friend is home and doing better. How scary! Beyond grateful that you tested negative!! I know you feel guilty about getting the test, but this is beyond your control.

Michigan is officially going on semi-lockdown. I think the official phrase is "sheltering in place". No non essential outings, which we haven't done for over a week now. Outdoorsy stuff still allowed - thank the gods! It just has to be something where you can maintain social distancing. So, I had my last riding lesson this morning for awhile. I can say I went out with a bang! I was so tired and off my game, the horse was pulling some neat tricks like going around jumps instead of over them. I was taking out some of the standards holding up the jumps as well. It gave us all a good laugh at least! We can still ride, just no lessons, and we have to follow a sign up genius to make sure we're not all going at once.
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Sat Mar 28, 2020 05:55 pm

Our local fire department is showing up with the big engine and lights and singing happy birthday (from 6 feet away of course) to local kids to help make up for the fact that they cannot have a party. I love those guys!
Catch-up

Postby phazedout » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:01 am

I did an ingress mission today which i'd been planning to do for a while, it was beautiful outside, walked ten km wiht some mild bus assitance. looking at one to do tomorrow, it was delightful to get out of the house for 3 hours and a lovely sunny, dry day. then i had anap, ate food and petted the cat.
Overall a good day.
Yes i did social distancing and walked wide paths around anyone i encoutnered coming the other way. although pople in the superaket kept standing too close and geting glared at.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Sandra » Tue Mar 31, 2020 08:44 pm

Worms! Earthworms!

We bought a wormery, looks like it'll be fun. I'll be able to make my own compost. That should save some money.

That's eventually, it should take most of the summer to get it running at full capacity. I might even have a nephew and nieces to help check for worms by then! (ie visitors at home)

Better than the ants who have discovered my kitchen :(
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Catch-up » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Finally got Thing 2 out of the house. We did a 5-6 mile hike. I let her lead the way, so the trails and the distance were her choice!
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table