Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Jun 24, 2017 08:44 pm

Whos Wee Dug wrote:
Kelshandra wrote:I'm going to America! In a little over a week! I need to pack (eep!). I've kept it quiet since it's for school (so tight timeline, not to mention the whole 'don't lose the kids' aspect that's a little daunting! Still, I have a bag out to start packing (since it is the middle of winter here, it's safe to assume that I won't need the shorts for instance!). We're going to the west coast- Seattle, San Fran and LA. As part of the many sights, the trip ends with visits to Universal studios and Disneyland (squee!).

So as you can tell, I'm not looking forward to this at all :P Any must see sights let me know- while most of the schedule is going to be tied to official duties I'm open to any tips of 'try and see X'. And if I don't get it this time, well I'm its on the list for a solo trip in the future.

In Seattle the EMP museum which is now called the: http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... p-culture/ fantastic place, film props, SF and Fantasy exhibits.
Trips out to Alcatraz island in SF go early to miss the crowds also wharf 39 lots to do there.
Have fun. :mrgreen:

The pop culture museum looks good- I'll add it to the future maybe list for next time. We're going to see Alcatraz and wharf 39 I believe- no doubt at the worst possible time due to us being a group but oh well!
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Jun 24, 2017 08:49 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:
At Disneyland you must try a Dole whip, they're sold at a small booth in Adventureland. Also if you have time, get a reservation at the Blue Bayou and eat at the restaurant you float past during Pirates of the Caribbean. On Pirates, sit in the front of the boat if you can, must be two or three, won't fit four. Haunted mansion: scream when the lights go out. French quarter: visit the little glassworks shop outside the exit to Pirates. Must go on Indiana Jones and visit Sleeping Beauty's castle, the entrance to the castle is on the inside of the gate next to a costume shop.

Ummm I'll think of more stuff :D

Nooo! Not a glassworks!!! Do you know how much of a sucker I am for glass?????? Wonder if I can get away with one set of clothing for the trip to allow for souvenirs...
What is a Dole whip? It sounds like it is either food or something that I could use to keep children in line. Given the trip, I could use either :P
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Jun 25, 2017 03:30 am

Pineapple ice cream. More like whipped sorbet really. Totally yum and unique to Disneyland.

Also, a little cafe/coffee booth near the Haunted Mansion (French quarter again) sells beignets and alcohol-free mint juleps, which are like a minty limeade. I like them because they are just right amount of sweet and have real mint leaves.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phazedout » Sun Jun 25, 2017 06:10 am

I have a lightweight Gortex jacket which rolls up into a ball about 3cm wide, it was a gift so I'm not sure how expensive they are but it can be stuffed into a shoulder bag so is ideal for sudden unexpected rain.

As to me I'm sat in a tiny cabin (not like my cabin for the overnight boat, that was huuuuuuuge) having spent a slightly nutty 48 hours in Stockholm. As my friend Andrew said indicted the worst possible weekend to come over as everything was shut.

Still I ingressed my little socks off, walking about 30km, 20 of that on Friday in the company of a very pleasant lady. Thing with Stockholm is its easy access, the ferry leaves late in the evening and I don't start work until 11 am, so the ferry back on a Sunday which gets in at 7.45 local, is perfect, means I can weekend in Stockholm for cost of return ferry journey and one overnight.
If you have mever on the book of faces then my albums are public there, I'm only on the tablet so cannot share properly good luck with the kids Kel you can always threaten to lock them in alcatraz if they don't behave
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby DavidAHarvey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Do The Seattle Underground Tour if you possibly can http://www.undergroundtour.com/ It is both funny and absolutely fascinating. We did it in 2002 and are still raving about it :D
Our only disappointment was that their Seattle Guild of Seamstresses T-shirts were out of stock...

Hope you have a fantastic trip.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby Pat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:55 am

It is my 36th wedding anniversary! There's no specifc material (gold, silver etc) associated with 36 - we'll have to wait until 2021 for ruby.

Whoever created the table I've just consulted is a born optimist - it has an entry for a 90th anniversary...

Stone, since you ask. 85 is wine and 80 is oak (yes, oak, not just wood - that's year 5).
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Pat wrote:It is my 36th wedding anniversary! There's no specifc material (gold, silver etc) associated with 36 - we'll have to wait until 2021 for ruby.

Whoever created the table I've just consulted is a born optimist - it has an entry for a 90th anniversary...

Stone, since you ask. 85 is wine and 80 is oak (yes, oak, not just wood - that's year 5).
Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS to you both!! :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl:

Perhaps you could combine anniversary gifts? 30th is pearl and 6th is inexplicably either sugar (sugary foods are acceptable) or iron (the metal not the kitchen utensil . . . unless you also want an arguement!)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Gaspode » Tue Jul 04, 2017 01:26 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Pat wrote:It is my 36th wedding anniversary! There's no specifc material (gold, silver etc) associated with 36 - we'll have to wait until 2021 for ruby.

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS to you both!! :thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl:

Perhaps you could combine anniversary gifts? 30th is pearl and 6th is inexplicably either sugar (sugary foods are acceptable) or iron (the metal not the kitchen utensil . . . unless you also want an arguement!)

The list I have shows 90th to be granite. I suppose swapping his n hers grave stones might be in good taste if you have lasted that long. Not to say practical.

Don't have anything here that mentions 36th. And I have lots of lists. You could try combining to come up with something unusual.

Congrats from me, we've only got to 27 so far.
Gaspode

Postby phalarope » Tue Jul 04, 2017 01:47 pm

CONGRATULATIONS to you and Jan. Celebratory fireworks are on tap this evening. :wink:

Following on Grace's suggestion, perhaps a supply of sugar pearls, such as are used for wedding cake decoration, would fit the gift bill. :)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 07:41 pm

Gaspode wrote:The list I have shows 90th to be granite. I suppose swapping his n hers grave stones might be in good taste if you have lasted that long. Not to say practical.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grace Speaker

Postby hansolobiker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 08:32 pm

Felicitations to Sir and Lady Harkin on the occasion of their 36th.
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jul 04, 2017 09:32 pm

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a lovely day together, and all the years.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Cara » Wed Jul 05, 2017 08:20 am

I don't know if they made it to 90, but this couple were about to celebrate their 89th anniversary
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/539474 ... d-Birthday
Cara

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 03:15 pm

My letter confirming the move to my new job has finally arrived,about time too as the interview was january! :bounce: :roll:
It was all provisional pending the end of the consultation period,but that ended in February,OM only knows why it has taken multiple e-mails and several excuses for them to do this.
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby steeljam » Wed Jul 05, 2017 09:39 pm

Cara wrote:I don't know if they made it to 90, but this couple were about to celebrate their 89th anniversary
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/539474 ... d-Birthday

They did
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table