Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 09, 2017 07:04 pm

Lovely day out - went to Manor Farm near Leicester (one of many with a similar name)

While it's a nice petting farm with donkey rides and the opportunity to feed the ducks we were really there for the owls.

The farm have given over a small amount of space (plus farm hands and they build aviaries) to an owl rescue group. While a few of the owls are from wild rescues - most are from the exotic pet trade.

Someone got an owl to be surprised that they make noise at night, one was handed in because it didn't look like an owl (Australian Boobook owl a 'hawk owl') another because it was ugly, one was labelled 'vicious' as it scratched a child who was holding it too tight. The worst was a barn owl that had been blinded by the use of vitamins - and had been subjected to DIY pinioning! (amputation of half a wing) - absolutely the nicest personalty - the owl behaved like a parrot.

It was lovely to be surrounded by a group (including children) who knew how to behave around birds - even the shy ones were visible watching us!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Gaspode » Tue Jul 11, 2017 09:10 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Got confirmation of next years holiday. I know its a bit early but ..

We are off to Aus to visit no 1 child and her boyfriend and his family (although she laughed when we said "if you want to arrange the wedding, it will save another trip")

Apart from the Skype talks it will be the first time we have seen her in almost 2 years.

So next may we are off to Brisbane and then to a little town called Kingaroy. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Can you tell Im happy?
Gaspode

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 01:54 am

That's wonderful, Gaspode!
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jul 12, 2017 01:58 am

Click on the sound player underneath their picture, this is hilarious and yes this happens at least once a week, here in Phoenix, because people are stupid.

http://neanderpaul.com/new/2016/07/20/k ... by-myself/
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Click on the sound player underneath their picture, this is hilarious and yes this happens at least once a week, here in Phoenix, because people are stupid.

:lol:
I think those people would qualify for a Darwin Award - i.e. removing themselves from the gene pool via death by stupidity :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Thu Jul 13, 2017 09:40 am

Grace Speaker wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:Click on the sound player underneath their picture, this is hilarious and yes this happens at least once a week, here in Phoenix, because people are stupid.

:lol:
I think those people would qualify for a Darwin Award - i.e. removing themselves from the gene pool via death by stupidity :wink:

Some people are soooo stoopid. Mind you, we get them here with a fair regularity. "A pair of climbers were rescued from half way up Mount Snowden today after the weather closed in and they were only wearing trainers and shorts"

Thankfully it doesn't happen every week...
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Gaspode » Tue Jul 18, 2017 06:44 pm

Ive got the week off work. So decided to finish a couple of paintings, work on the car, sort some of the Cafe's paperwork and start the tax returns. :(

WHO AM I KIDDING..... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

A while ago I came across a box with some Discworld Jewellery in. And then Jackies mum sent me another box.

In this box was..

Well look at the picture. :thumbr:

Thing is I don't ever remember buying one of the bags. :!:
Im going to spend Friday checking over all the bits to see if its worth selling them. Don't tell the wife, she thinks Im sorting out Beck's stuff to list on eBay...
Gaspode

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 08:37 pm

Oooooooo, I wants it, precious!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Any chance those little scythes could be turned in to earrings? :D :bounce: :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Kelshandra » Wed Jul 19, 2017 06:50 am

Nonny Mouse wrote:
Kelshandra wrote:I'm going to America! In a little over a week! I need to pack (eep!). I've kept it quiet since it's for school (so tight timeline, not to mention the whole 'don't lose the kids' aspect that's a little daunting! Still, I have a bag out to start packing (since it is the middle of winter here, it's safe to assume that I won't need the shorts for instance!). We're going to the west coast- Seattle, San Fran and LA. As part of the many sights, the trip ends with visits to Universal studios and Disneyland (squee!).

So as you can tell, I'm not looking forward to this at all :P Any must see sights let me know- while most of the schedule is going to be tied to official duties I'm open to any tips of 'try and see X'. And if I don't get it this time, well I'm its on the list for a solo trip in the future.

At Disneyland you must try a Dole whip, they're sold at a small booth in Adventureland. Also if you have time, get a reservation at the Blue Bayou and eat at the restaurant you float past during Pirates of the Caribbean. On Pirates, sit in the front of the boat if you can, must be two or three, won't fit four. Haunted mansion: scream when the lights go out. French quarter: visit the little glassworks shop outside the exit to Pirates. Must go on Indiana Jones and visit Sleeping Beauty's castle, the entrance to the castle is on the inside of the gate next to a costume shop.

Ummm I'll think of more stuff :D

I'm baaaaccckk!! Thank you for the Disney tips. I couldn't take advantage of all your tips what with the trip being in summer peak but my fellow teachers and I enjoyed the Dole whip (basically like a pineapple sorbet- very nice on a hot day). Pirates and the Haunted mansion were fantastic, as was the Indiana Jones ride. Saw the castle and tried the mint julup (I must work out how to DIY that one- it was great!). I might've bought 2 or 3 or 4 glass objects :oops: 5 if you count the present for Mum.

Overall the trip was a success (all had a good time, we didn't loose any kids). Bit of a sad detour for me. One of the kids left his passport on a plane in San Francisco. That meant he couldn't fly ANYWHERE anymore. We drew straws and I won the chance to experience a greyhound bus to the embassy in LA :x Very... interesting... experience! Still, we made it in one piece. And it looks like there is a good chance that I'll be getting the chance to go in two years as I've been dobbed in to organise the next one.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Sandra » Wed Jul 19, 2017 09:32 am

Glad you enjoyed it - though learning experience for next time - don't let the kids off the plane without waving their passport at you! (assuming you are not allowed to hold them for the kids?)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:40 am

Well, at least you know what to do in an emergency!

I'm glad you had a good time, you checked off all my favorite boxes there :D

What did you enjoy the most? (Doesn't have to be off my list :D)
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Kelshandra » Thu Jul 20, 2017 06:45 am

We couldn't take them off them as they needed them to prove identity on the flight. That said, now I know to get them to check 'the big three- passport, phone and wallet' at certain points such as exiting planes. Hindsight and all that.

Favourite at Disney was just the ambience of it all. That said, getting there at 8am and getting on 5 rides in 2 hours was a close second. :D Favourite at Universal was the realism of Harry Potter world- although it was soooo crowded it made it hard to enjoy.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jul 21, 2017 03:01 am

I agree on Disney, that's the right way to do it. Go in early and get the big things in, relieves pressure the rest of the day. And I do love just being there. I love walking down Main Street, and looking at the castle and thinking of the fun ahead. It just feels like a good place to be.

What glass treasures did you get?
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Cara » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:29 am

Indeed we need pictures of the pretties Kel. Glad you enjoyed it and survived the children. My sister and her family are on their 4th trip to Disney now (and 3 to the Paris one). My sister organises it like a military operation to pack in as much as possible!
Cara

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Jul 22, 2017 04:15 am

HECK yeah, and I can outlast everyone. I'm the last one to be tired and want to go home. I"m always the one asking for one more ride.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table