Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Stew d'Apples » Fri Aug 13, 2021 08:03 pm

Met up with a few mates from work for a drink or six. I haven't seen them since March 2020, although we have kept in touch on whatsapp, and it was six hours of pure pleasure. It felt like we haven't been apart. I've been ok with my own company over the last 18 months or so but it made me realise how much I've missed the company of other people. Thankfully I didn't go Matt Hancock on them

I can't wait to start meeting up with other friends.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:09 pm

I had to strong-arm my 75 year old mother into accepting some help financially so she can retire, and she finally relented :D

She's been very determined to remain independent and not owe anyone anything, but she doesn't have enough to retire and was working herself to death, literally, between ulcers, depression, and going to the hospital on Friday with chest pains was the last straw. She always said she'd work until she dropped, and I informed her that she has now dropped. And that taking care of someone you love isn't a burden, and worrying about owing me money is straight-up bullshit.

My husband and I are looking for a little place to buy so she can live there, which will be an investment for us and a haven for her. I'm paying her rent until we find something. Because enough is freaking enough.

It makes me really happy to not worry about her so much. We've seen this coming for a long time, but she never wanted to accept any help. But she finally got to a point where she has to. Thank goodness.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Mon Aug 30, 2021 06:38 pm

Had a weekend with a good friend who has retired and is splitting her time between Maryland and Mexico. We kayaked, ate pizza, chewed the fat, and watched Good Omens. She really like it, which I was not sure of, although she does like some of Neil's stuff, particularly The Graveyard Book. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby phalarope » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:40 am

And 3 months later . . . . .

I have submitted my retirement forms and resignation letter. I will be a free woman on New Year's Day. Only 10 more work days, then I'm on leave until the end of the year. 36 years. :shock:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Penners » Thu Dec 02, 2021 07:46 am

Enjoy all that free time you're going to get, Carol. :D
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Dec 07, 2021 04:23 pm

phalarope wrote:And 3 months later . . . . .

I have submitted my retirement forms and resignation letter. I will be a free woman on New Year's Day. Only 10 more work days, then I'm on leave until the end of the year. 36 years. :shock:

WONDERFUL! Congratulations!!! :bounce:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby annebn » Sun Dec 19, 2021 08:54 am

Wow! Congratulations.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Pat » Mon Dec 20, 2021 05:02 pm

Congratulations! I strongly recommend retirement and am just starting to get the hang of it. We kept waking up at 6:30 for about 18 months!
This is my sort of recipe book. "Wrap the pastry in a damp cloth and chill for 20 minutes." Don't mind if I do.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 20, 2021 09:42 pm

That's probably working life being replaced by old age ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Feb 24, 2022 05:37 pm

So my problems haven't gone away but I am optimistic that several of them will resolve this year. It's nice to feel hopeful.

I still have hard days and days when I feel overwhelmed, but that's getting less, and more times when I feel oddly happy for no particular reason.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:17 pm

Yay, Nonny! Hugs!

I had lunch with work mates, and was delighted to realize I don't miss work AT ALL. Former employer is going to give me a contract to finish up some work, for a decent amount of money, with a lump sum payment for a specific set of deliverables. So I can work on my own schedule and not have to put up with the BS of being a wage employee.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Mar 08, 2022 02:36 pm

My son't got accepted to his dream school! Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I could have wished for something closer, but the cost is reasonable as far as universities go and it's where he wants to be, so that's that. So HE IS LEAVING THE NEST this fall! I will have one launched! :sunny:

ALSO we found an apartment for my Mom that is less expensive than where she is now, and smaller which is what she needs because walking is hard for her. It's closer to me also. And her landlord is sellilng her current place, but her move-in date is two weeks before she has to be out of the other place so it all fits together. :sunny:

So now there is a metric shit-ton of logistics to work on, but it also means my problems are getting solved bit by bit. :sunny:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Wed Mar 09, 2022 04:37 am

Arizona to Nova Scotia - wow! Make sure he wraps up warm. :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Mar 14, 2022 08:13 pm

He likes the cold, and I'm sure he'll adjust. I've at least convinced him he'll need long underwear.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Apr 09, 2022 03:43 am

I'm busy and overwhelmed with all the life changes these days, but, in spare moments, I get to be absurdly happy about planning my trip to UK this summer!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table