Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Sandra » Mon Sep 03, 2018 06:48 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Sandra wrote:Ok this isn't really for me -it's for Merry.

we bought her some cat guns. :evil:

Now actual firearms are out of the question - these are sonic repellers but the cats take off as though they were shot - and Merry loves them :twisted: ! And we have had a quieter weekend :thumbr:

Have you considered rigging up some sort of water sprinkler that's attached to a button that Merry can hit with her beak to trigger it? :twisted: That'd really keep her entertained :wink:

For as long as the button worked - Parrots are the natural predator of buttons and zips (it's why you never find them in the wild) they will take them apart quiet happily, destroying every part as it is removed.

She would love the idea - especially as it would also enable her to target the crows and wood pigeons (and come winter the gulls). until she got bored then it would be examined with prejudice.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby hansolobiker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 02:01 pm

So this is extremely weird! Whilst checking out the highlights video today of Hunslet beating London Skolars a couple of weeks ago, I had a thought to check out You Tube for any Buffy Sainte Marie tracks( possibly my favourite all time singer songwriter) and having listened to a few memory pleasing songs, that prompted me to have a look for a biography I thought had been published a few years ago. To my surprise and delight I found 'Buffy, The Authorised Biography' was due to be published.....tomorrow! Now that is weird!
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 04:03 pm

hansolobiker wrote:So this is extremely weird! Whilst checking out the highlights video today of Hunslet beating London Skolars a couple of weeks ago, I had a thought to check out You Tube for any Buffy Sainte Marie tracks( possibly my favourite all time singer songwriter) and having listened to a few memory pleasing songs, that prompted me to have a look for a biography I thought had been published a few years ago. To my surprise and delight I found 'Buffy, The Authorised Biography' was due to be published.....tomorrow! Now that is weird!
Are you certain they're not talking Buffy The Vampire Slayer here? :wink: There's been talk of a remake . . .
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby hansolobiker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 09:45 am

Grace Speaker asked
Are you certain they're not talking Buffy The Vampire Slayer here? There's been talk of a remake . . .

Pretty sure, though Buffy SM did sing about' the Vampire' on her album 'Illuminations'!
hansolobiker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 04:36 pm

I follow the Orkney Library on Twitter and today those wonderful Feegles gave us this, which cheered me up on a very boring day of doing paperwork :D

You can always tell when Sting has been in to return his books.

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 04:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 am

When life imitates art . . .

Ian Neale with his winning heaviest in class giant cabbage, at the 2018 Harrogate Autumn Flower Show, which weighed 30.2kg

Vs

The Ankh-Morpork Post Office's BIG CABBAGE stamp :D

Image Image
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Tue Sep 18, 2018 09:42 am

i wonder how often this happens...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45545179
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Sep 18, 2018 08:18 pm

Uh oh, it's a squirrel king.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Sep 25, 2018 04:57 pm

Little Free Library report: I LOVE being a librarian. My books move slowly but they definitely move, including 4 Discworld books so far. :D

Last week a woman walked right by my library without even looking at it, so I called after her, "Free books!" and pointed at the library. She stopped and said, "Free? Oh, for sale?" "No, free! take some books!" :roll: She said she was just getting back into reading and in fact found some books that appealed to her, and took two.

Also, this week is Banned Books week, so I have stocked the library with banned books each with a slip identifying it as such, and wrote in chalk on the sidewalk "Banned Book Week! Read a banned book today, because u can!" It's only been 2 days and I think 5 or 6 have been taken, including Harry Potter 1 and A Light in the Attic on the kids' side.

I get so excited when I check the library (every day, usually more than once) and see something shifted around or gaps where books used to be. I imagine what delights the person has in store. This is the best gift I could possibly give to strangers.

The best book I've been left so far was a true crime book on Jack the Ripper. I didn't get a chance to read it before it left again but it looked pretty cool.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby steeljam » Wed Sep 26, 2018 09:19 pm

A bit late, but had a great time with Carol visiting. On the last day we went to Leeds Castle, the one in Kent :);
After two days of heavy rain, we had a warm and sunny day.
Great views, lots of wildfowls, enjoyable tour of the castle, a falconry display and we got through the maze.
Carol left on Tuesday morning on her way north, to Oxford and Leeds. I made sure she was carrying the right documentation.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby hansolobiker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:39 am

Steeljam wrote:
Carol left on Tuesday morning on her way north, to Oxford and Leeds. I made sure she was carrying the right documentation.

Yes,there's a hard border now with Brexit approaching-better to be safe and sound or refused entry may cause offence. WELCOME TO YORKSHIRE
hansolobiker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:28 am

:lol: Glad to hear that the paperwork was all in order to allow Carol safe passage across the border into Yorkshire and I hope she will now be given full training in how to make a cup of proper Yorkshire tea! :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Thu Sep 27, 2018 04:34 pm

I've been detained a few days in Oxfordshire being instructed in the ways of ancient colleges, sussing out bits of a dodo, exploring the local waterways, and perusing historic micoscopes. Encountered a Morse/Lewis/Endeavour stalker, and some artwork by a phlilologist. I'll be crossing the Yorkshire border in the morning, and my piss-pot is in order.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Thu Sep 27, 2018 04:43 pm

steeljam wrote:A bit late, but had a great time with Carol visiting. On the last day we went to Leeds Castle, the one in Kent :);
After two days of heavy rain, we had a warm and sunny day.
Great views, lots of wildfowls, enjoyable tour of the castle, a falconry display and we got through the maze.

I am remiss in saying that I had a MARVELOUS time with Jackie and Martyn, followed by Steve and Rita. I was also fed very well by both, and it's only the fact that I'm walking several miles daily that's keeping me from becoming Mr Creosote. :shock: :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table