Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Sep 27, 2018 08:16 pm

Glad you're having a great time! :sunny:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Thu Sep 27, 2018 09:57 pm

Good to hear you're enjoying your visit.

We are just back from the Parrot Night Club (aka the Parrot club that happens in the evening).

Merry is very happy - she hasn't been for three months and was missing her trips out. She met her friend (20 + years older female of same species) decided the male of her species wasn't worth talking to. Got irritated by one of the green wing macaws who insisted in flying about (there were two and a blue and gold) got jealous that Silver now has a harness so he can come out as well and was proven right that other birds flying near her could hit her - when a Ducorps got spooked by the green wing and smacked into Merry as she flew off (she has a thing about other birds flying anywhere near her head - very like some people who are terrified of bats getting in their hair).

Meanwhile Zen got some time alone while Silver was fitted for a harness and learnt that when he gets to the end he has to hover (new trick).
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:33 am

Genuine product, available from Waterstones :lol:

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sat Oct 06, 2018 03:57 pm

Umpteen gamillion thumbs up. :P :lol: :thumbl: Now, can I get to a Waterstones before I leave the UK on Monday???
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 04:16 pm

phalarope wrote:Umpteen gamillion thumbs up. :P :lol: :thumbl: Now, can I get to a Waterstones before I leave the UK on Monday???
In case you can't find them in time, here's the link to order them online :D
https://www.waterstones.com/product/trump-impeachmints/0814229008750
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 01:41 pm

This was heartening to read today. The drug that these two gentlemen developed has literally saved and/or improved the lives of heaven knows how many thousands suffering from Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis for the better, mine included. I've had this horrible disease for 3+ years and Adalimumab/Humira has been the only medication that's worked, so I owe these two gentlemen a personal debt I can never repay. So it warms the cockles to know they have received the ultimate thank you on behalf of all IBD sufferers . . . although the twisted sense of humour in me sincerely wishes they make sure they have extra loos available at the ceremony and keep the exits clear . . . :wink:

British biochemist Sir Gregory Winter, along with American George Smith, have won the Nobel Prize Award in Chemistry - for their work in using evolution to create new antibodies.

Smith created a technique called a ‘phage display’ which is where a virus infects bacteria and genetically engineers it to produce new proteins. Winter then replicated this technique to produce new antibody proteins, which are now used in drug therapy.

This was notably used to develop adalimumab (Humira), which is a treatment option for a range of diseases which cause inflammation, including Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Oh yes very worthwhile - Adrian got given one (Benepali) for his arthritis(es) and when it worked an apology for giving him the wrong one...

He's waiting for his new injection of Humira prescription to work through the system, which should also help his UC/Crohn's
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:59 am

Sandra wrote:Oh yes very worthwhile - Adrian got given one (Benepali) for his arthritis(es) and when it worked an apology for giving him the wrong one...

He's waiting for his new injection of Humira prescription to work through the system, which should also help his UC/Crohn's
:thumbl:
Really hoping Humira works as well for Adrian as it's worked for me - it's been a life saver! No more trips to A&E for blood transfusions, no more passing out from pain on the bathroom floor, no more haemorrhaging uncontrollably, etc., etc., etc., :D It started working for me within weeks instead of months and I was practically symptom free for several months for the first time in 3 years! I'm having a slight flare-up at the moment (stress always triggers it/makes it worse for me), but it's relatively mild compared to how it's been in the past and doesn't seem to be escalating, so I'm hoping it will pass. The other plus side to Humira, is that it seems to have very minor side effects, if any, for most people - this is a huge relief for me, as the side effects of some of the other drugs they've given me over the last 3 years have been bloody awful! One of my friends is also on Humira for her arthritis which she developed in her 20's, the poor thing, and it's made a big improvement to her as well. :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Sat Oct 13, 2018 06:25 pm

Oh i do believe you about the side effects - Adrian got steroids for three years and that's resulted in osteoporosis. We found the major trigger and managed to stop the bleeding and the steroids.

The big change for us was on a trip on a cruise ship and Adrian's gut settled in 24 hours. With both of us being scientists we worked it out - his biggest trigger is ammonia (our evidence was that the ship chlorinated their drinking water while the UK uses Chloramine). Once we got home we started clearing ammonia from our diets. That is work - it's in almost all brown coloured foods (cola, gravy...) and is used as a raising agent (biscuits, sage and onion stuffing...) and of course water (meet our new friend Britta).

We tried explaining this but people don't believe (Mum made gravy with tap water for a pie and got to hear Adrian all night, she now believes) and even people with actual food allergies are not able to swap to changing their screening to match other people's needs.

A few years ago Adrian found an American paper - they are finding evidence on ammonia causing inflammation of the pancreas, liver and kidneys as well as the bowel. But it will take much more evidence to change the food industry as things like ammonia caramel are cheaper. PM me if you are interested in the list of E numbers.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Oct 13, 2018 07:30 pm

Sandra wrote:Oh i do believe you about the side effects - Adrian got steroids for three years and that's resulted in osteoporosis. We found the major trigger and managed to stop the bleeding and the steroids.

The big change for us was on a trip on a cruise ship and Adrian's gut settled in 24 hours. With both of us being scientists we worked it out - his biggest trigger is ammonia (our evidence was that the ship chlorinated their drinking water while the UK uses Chloramine). Once we got home we started clearing ammonia from our diets. That is work - it's in almost all brown coloured foods (cola, gravy...) and is used as a raising agent (biscuits, sage and onion stuffing...) and of course water (meet our new friend Britta).

We tried explaining this but people don't believe (Mum made gravy with tap water for a pie and got to hear Adrian all night, she now believes) and even people with actual food allergies are not able to swap to changing their screening to match other people's needs.

A few years ago Adrian found an American paper - they are finding evidence on ammonia causing inflammation of the pancreas, liver and kidneys as well as the bowel. But it will take much more evidence to change the food industry as things like ammonia caramel are cheaper. PM me if you are interested in the list of E numbers.
Yes please! Have pm'd you :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm

On it's way - sorry we have lost the paper details
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Oct 24, 2018 08:15 pm

I got a frantic message on my library thread yesterday from a parent whose son desperately needed HP 4, because they couldn't renew their library copy. Before I could even answer they went to my LFL and found a copy there, then sent me profuse thanks and a big grinning picture of a happy kid.

It was total coincidence I had that in there - I'd put out the first 2 for banned books week and when they left I put in 3 and when that left I put in 4; and it was just what they needed. If it wasn't there I would have told them to come by after work, but that was really cool.

The best thing is that now a kid has a book he really wanted to read, and he knows that LFLs are awesome and can be there when you need them. :sunny: :sunny:

A mom also left me a note saying her kids demand to come by the library every week, and they love Dr. Seuss and did I have any more Vonnegut.

And last weekend a mom and daughter riding their bikes turned around because the daughter was adamant they check out the library.

I am connecting people and books (I'm up to 7 DW books also that have been given away, including a copy of Wee Free Men I personally presented to a 10 year old girl who liked fantasy). This makes me extremely happy.

It does cost a bit of money when I want to stock the library with specific things, but... it's well spent. :sunny:

I have decided I am a 'book witch'. :sunny:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Sandra » Thu Oct 25, 2018 07:52 am

Nonny Mouse wrote:I have decided I am a 'book witch'. :sunny:

It's good to hear you are corrupting the young with (gasp) literature!

I like the sound of 'Book Witch', better than mad book lady! I've already handed our HP books over to my brother - with the instructions that once either of the kids can read these - I have so much more. More importantly I have books where both a boy and a girl are the heroes, apparently it's one reason HP got so popular - boys don't read about girl protagonists.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Oct 25, 2018 05:00 pm

I think "Book Witch" is what you become when, as Terry might say, you've gone through Mad Book Lady and out the other side. :wink:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Thu Oct 25, 2018 08:16 pm

A classroom project I supported through DonorsChoose was fully funded today. The teacher wanted enough copies of Norse Mythology by Neil himself for her entire class (Neil tweeted about the campaign). I went through all the funding requests to find all that requested any Gaiman, Pratchett, or other good fantasy/sci-fi books for their classrooms. Additional pledges made. :D Now to hope they all get fully funded.

I may send one of the teachers a set of Tiffany books directy, as a Terryvangelist and to provide books with a girl protagonist. 'Cause boys should read about girls, too.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table