Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Oct 25, 2018 08:26 pm

phalarope wrote:A classroom project I supported through DonorsChoose was fully funded today. The teacher wanted enough copies of Norse Mythology by Neil himself for her entire class (Neil tweeted about the campaign). I went through all the funding requests to find all that requested any Gaiman, Pratchett, or other good fantasy/sci-fi books for their classrooms. Additional pledges made. :D Now to hope they all get fully funded.

I may send one of the teachers a set of Tiffany books directy, as a Terryvangelist and to provide books with a girl protagonist. 'Cause boys should read about girls, too.

Link? I'll donate!
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 08:33 pm

Yesterday in bright sunshine, at one pm , my son Timothy got married to his long time fiancee Caroline ( Caz to her friends ) it wa a gorgeous day.
They married in a small upper hall of the square tower old portsmouth, and carried on the nuptuals in the Holiday Inn, the Bride looked beutiful, in a stunning dress, I saw her attempting to compose herself, on the arm of her Father before he walked her down the isle. ( at that point i just cried ! ) :D I handed over the correct rings at the correct time, and Caz and Tim got married!

The wedding photographer was funny, geeky and plain nuts, took so may shots I think they may end up with three wedding albums not one. He stayed on way after he was contracted too, as he was having so much fun.
Tim and Caz had the usual first dance, then they and a few of the friends they do swing dancing with, took to the floor, and Caz in a floor length gown with train, managed a few complicated routines, and at the end they got a round of applause from us all.
Great day, great weather, great food, and the start of a great marrige. I promise to get some pictures on here, as soon as I get my hands on the U.S.B stick with the best shots on it. One tired but proud Mum. :D
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Oct 26, 2018 01:34 am

Yay congratulations!!!!
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Fri Oct 26, 2018 04:47 pm

Wonderful, excellent, superior news! Congratulations all round. A happy wedding is full of hope, something we all need right about now.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby phalarope » Fri Oct 26, 2018 05:00 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:
phalarope wrote:A classroom project I supported through DonorsChoose was fully funded today. The teacher wanted enough copies of Norse Mythology by Neil himself for her entire class (Neil tweeted about the campaign). I went through all the funding requests to find all that requested any Gaiman, Pratchett, or other good fantasy/sci-fi books for their classrooms. Additional pledges made. :D Now to hope they all get fully funded.

I may send one of the teachers a set of Tiffany books directy, as a Terryvangelist and to provide books with a girl protagonist. 'Cause boys should read about girls, too.

Link? I'll donate!

The Norse Mythology project is fully funded, so is closed, but there are others that support literacy. The link to the main project search page is https://www.donorschoose.org/. The two projects I really want to see funded just now are https://www.donorschoose.org/project/mrs-hogans-reliable-readers/3386075/and https://www.donorschoose.org/project/got-books-please-share-your-love-of-rea/3608135/. The first one is requesting The Graveyard Book, the first Harry Potter, and The Island of the Blue Dolphins, among many others, for a classroom library. The second wants to give all of her students personal copies of the 13th Diary of A Wimpy Kid. The first is withing $250 of being funded. The second is probably a lost cause, but sometimes non-profits come in as last minute angels if they see individual donations trending up.

Nonny, if you like this cause, you can donate to projects closer to home. I have supported several schools near me which are in a county with a low budget overall, and especially education.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Fri Oct 26, 2018 06:45 pm

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody. We waited for a showing in a screen with a decent sound system (our smaller screens wouldn't do it justice).

Do expect a great tale, do expect to need tissues (they included a scene in an AIDs clinic) and do expect some of the greatest music of the last century.

The guys they cast are good, they have totally re-filmed the videos but they do such a great job that they looked like the originals.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 am

I've found a way to repurpose my Halloween / Death tealight holders :D :D :D

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table