Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby Sandra » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 am

it's the silly things - toenails of all things! If I let the one on my little toe get too long it snaps (not completely a little tag holds it on still) when I put on my shoes. It wouldn't be too bad except it then folds into the gap between my toes and starts slicing into the next toe.

There is a reason i don't wear shoes at conventions anymore!

I don't feel the toenail, at least until it slices into the tissues below the skin, then it hurts. Unfortunately I am usually a long way from anywhere I can check my toes by this point - anyone else noticed how few benches there are now?

My hands are easier - I keep stopping and asking - where did that scrape come from? One of the first injuries that scared me was a parrot bite (someone else's bird) the day before a convention. No pain, even when it started looking septic. Thankfully hotels do honey at breakfast - I got some odd looks but avoided a nasty wound - but having to check it 3/4 times a day did go through plasters fast!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 04:26 pm

Have just accidentally stalked Tamsin Greig (she of Green Wing, Saturday Night, Episodes and wossname in Going Postal, to mention but a few) round Sainsburys. I was unloading my trolley and the woman in front had forgotten a loaf of bread. So I went to hand it to her and realised I was talking to Tamsin - she was very sweet and I got to tell her how much I loved Episodes etc :D :D :D However . . .

. . . when I got my shopping to the car, she was parked 2 cars away and we rather awkwardly made eye contact and smiled before she got in and drove away. But then . . .

. . . I went to put some petrol in my car and when I went into pay, guess who was in front of me in the queue? Yep, their she was! :roll: Very brief smile this time, as she clearly ran the calculation in her head of whether or not I was some nutter stalking her, before firmly facing the front :lol:

I got in my car and out of the petrol station sharpish, in case she decided I was a stalker and called the police! :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Have just accidentally stalked Tamsin Greig (she of Green Wing, Saturday Night, Episodes and wossname in Going Postal, to mention but a few) round Sainsburys. I was unloading my trolley and the woman in front had forgotten a loaf of bread. So I went to hand it to her and realised I was talking to Tamsin - she was very sweet and I got to tell her how much I loved Episodes etc :D :D :D However . . .

. . . when I got my shopping to the car, she was parked 2 cars away and we rather awkwardly made eye contact and smiled before she got in and drove away. But then . . .

. . . I went to put some petrol in my car and when I went into pay, guess who was in front of me in the queue? Yep, their she was! :roll: Very brief smile this time, as she clearly ran the calculation in her head of whether or not I was some nutter stalking her, before firmly facing the front :lol:

I got in my car and out of the petrol station sharpish, in case she decided I was a stalker and called the police! :lol:

I knew her passingly from way-back-when...

On the set of Going Postal, while a few of us where on the hunt for any unconsidered trifles (copies of Extreme Pins, advertising flyers for the Mobile Clacks, bowls of curry from the stand etc.) she sidled up to me and said "Chris, you do know they leave crap like that lying around so you lot don't nick the good stuff?"

But she took a couple of Clacks flyers back to the trailers and got every cast member to sign them, so... :)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 09:11 pm

chrisboote wrote:I knew her passingly from way-back-when...

On the set of Going Postal, while a few of us where on the hunt for any unconsidered trifles (copies of Extreme Pins, advertising flyers for the Mobile Clacks, bowls of curry from the stand etc.) she sidled up to me and said "Chris, you do know they leave crap like that lying around so you lot don't nick the good stuff?"

But she took a couple of Clacks flyers back to the trailers and got every cast member to sign them, so... :)
If I'd had anything on me to sign, I'd have asked her too, but I really wasn't expecting to bump into anyone famous over a granary loaf at the checkout so didn't have anything on me. Next time I go to Sainsburys I shall be more prepared! :lol: Although she took ages faffing about with her vouchers and had a bit of a row with the checkout person over one of them that had expired, perhaps I should have asked her to sign that . . . although that probably would have tipped her over the edge when I then bumped into her again in the car park and then again in the petrol station!

Mind you, a signed restraining order might look nice in the right picture frame . . . :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:23 am

If it happens again - offer to leave first, then it will be obvious that you are both caught by the coincidences.

(I always thought that Coincidences should be a Discworld personification - along with the green eyed lady and Fate)
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby phazedout » Sun Feb 03, 2019 07:42 pm

I'm standing outside a certain 4 letter german supermarket with Essi, awiating a bus home through the 14,000 metric tonnes of snow that have hit us (record level even for finalnd, at this point the authorities in helsinki have started carting it away and melting the stuff) and i was waeign my AMPO shoulder bag which has two patches on it, one a stylaised "5" and one an earthforce pach.
A slightly eldery finnish joint points at my bag and exclaims in a delighted voice "babylon 5". With essi helping out with finnish on his slightly poor english, we had a nice chat about scifi.
I love these rnadom encoutners,, then it turned out he was on the same bus as us and as he was getting off he made the star trek sign and said "live long and propsper" then apologised for it being the wrong fandom.
Geek love is the best.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby phalarope » Mon Feb 04, 2019 02:41 am

phazedout wrote:... apologised for it being the wrong fandom. Geek love is the best.
It's never the wrong fandom unless you're not a fan (geek). :wink: Seeing Sir Terry and Sir Patrick doing shout-outs to Red Dwarf on the DVD extras brings that home.
Last month I introduced a seasonal employee to Good Omens when she told me she liked apocalyptic literature. (Cue Queen... Another one bites the dust :wink: :lol: )
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Thu Feb 14, 2019 09:40 am

Got a new tablet (sort of xmas prezzie to self), it and the new ebook reader have a slightly useful feature - top right corner displays the time. Helpful when you realize you've read past 3am again.

I might have read too much on it? (Not too much reading - too much on the eBook) - I was reading a (hardcopy) book and wondered what the time was I automatically looked to the top right corner of the page :shock:
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby phalarope » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Captain Me. Got invited to help reposition our 16-meter research vessel today. Got handed the wheel just outside the harbor and spent the next 4 hours steering her home. Lovely winter day on the Bay - SSW wind 5-10 knots with gently flooding tide making the sea state nearly slick ca'm, bright sunshine making some parts a silvery blue mirror, almost zero boat traffic, and thousands of seaducks (quack).
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Alan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 03:40 pm

I`m finally replacing my 21 year old Volvo that i`ve owned for 14 years with a much newer car :bounce: (there may even be mention of me buying the Volvo in an ancient post)
Won`t be able to collect it until the end of the month,but that`s fine with me,then i have to say goodbye to my trusty Volvo that has served me well over the last 90,000 miles
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 04:17 pm

Alan wrote:I`m finally replacing my 21 year old Volvo that i`ve owned for 14 years with a much newer car :bounce: (there may even be mention of me buying the Volvo in an ancient post)
Won`t be able to collect it until the end of the month,but that`s fine with me,then i have to say goodbye to my trusty Volvo that has served me well over the last 90,000 miles

Well I hope you're giving your old war horse a good sending off!
What are you getting instead?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Alan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 04:36 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Alan wrote:I`m finally replacing my 21 year old Volvo that i`ve owned for 14 years with a much newer car :bounce: (there may even be mention of me buying the Volvo in an ancient post)

Well I hope you're giving your old war horse a good sending off!
What are you getting instead?

2010 Focus Titanium :bounce:
I`m buying the Focus from a friend,so disposing of the Volvo is something i need to deal with.
Up to now,all my cars have alternated between white and blue,this one is black :)
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Sandra » Sat Feb 16, 2019 08:19 am

If you don't expect to get any money - check if your local fire brigade is looking for cars to practice rescue from. It's a better send off than having to pay a scrap yard to accept it.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 am

Sandra wrote:If you don't expect to get any money - check if your local fire brigade is looking for cars to practice rescue from. It's a better send off than having to pay a scrap yard to accept it.

Brilliant idea :D :thumbl: a viking send-off would be very fitting for a Volvo !
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Sun Feb 17, 2019 07:23 pm

Sandra wrote:If you don't expect to get any money - check if your local fire brigade is looking for cars to practice rescue from. It's a better send off than having to pay a scrap yard to accept it.

When I was a school governor we arranged for an old car to be delivered to the school fete and the fire brigade to do their thing on the car. We asked for donations to watch. The car was sold for scrap raising even more money.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table