Discworld

What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What Cheered You Up? - Deck the Halls...

Postby phalarope » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:35 am

Several things -
1) Lost my wedding rings today - again. :oops: :roll: Thought I had lost them at work, turned office upside down, dredged through a bin of alkaline batteries for recycling (ick), dumped 2 trash cans, turned 2 labs upside down, dredged the car. No luck. Had vivid memory of taking them off to put on hand creme (lab work dries hands horribly). No joy. Feeling crushed, barely managed to stare through microscope for 2 hours after lunch. Left work early and decided to get shingles jab because I felt like crap already. Got home, made dinner, trying to fall asleep at 630, got up to open email and lo! Rings on mouse mat! :shock: :sunny: Huzzah! Awake now (though still exhausted).

2) HMS Queen Elizabeth at anchor off Annapolis in Chesapeake Bay. Courtesy call on USNA. I have permission to arrive late tomorrow so I can go to gaze at her and her complement of F35s and helos. Jealous of colleagues who have excuses to be on boats tomorrow. :D

3) Shingles vaccination completed. I hate needles!

4) Ben Aaronovitch's latest comic delivered. :thumbl:

5) Lovely email from Chris & Julia. I shall be descending on London late February. :bounce:

From the depths of frustration at 11 am to my normal happy self at 7 pm. Relief!!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Kelshandra » Thu Nov 21, 2019 06:56 am

Glad you found your rings! Perhaps you should have a necklace chain for when you are in the lab so the rings are safe?

As for me, I got an unexpected day off work which was nice. I've been insanely busy recently so I could undig the house from the piles that had accumulated. But since it was due to a code red fire danger day closing all schools in the region (area roughly the size of Wales I think?) it was a bit concerning. It's been 40C today and very very windy. Smoke in the air but I think that is from the massive fires up north (several 000 km away or so so don't worry, I'm fine!)
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Sandra » Thu Nov 21, 2019 06:46 pm

The fires must be horrendous, but the Australian page on BBC news still has this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-aus ... n-the-rain

If I didn't know how big your country is it would make your country look a bit... (I was going to say odd - but it's Australia :lol: )
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Nov 23, 2019 07:34 am

This is coming from a country that has Morris dancing and some weird race with a cheese? You do know where a large number of European settlers in my country came from, right? :mrgreen:
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Sandra » Sat Nov 23, 2019 03:21 pm

Don't forget bog-snorkeling. Dyke vaulting (not sure if we copied the Dutch or came up with that one ourselves).

And we had the up-tight victorians thinking that the maypole was 'cute', ignorant of the pagan phallic symbology they were encouraging their innocent christian children to participate in...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 pm

I just found out that a long-term colleague in the IT department's daughter is into Good Omens!!!! She was showing me pics of her daughter and her girlfriend at ComiCon with Aziraphale and Crowley cosplayers, and she knew who they were! :shock: :shock: :thumbl: :thumbl: Told her I was now able to have a conversation with her 17-year-old. :lol: :lol: And colleague said she was seriously considering cosplaying herself at the next one. :D :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phazedout » Thu Feb 13, 2020 08:04 am

We're attending a Babylon 5 convention the weekend before the llamedos event aaawnd
They accepted my suggestion to write and present q pub quiz
Happy me it's around Babylon 5 and had both easy and difficult questions
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Feb 13, 2020 04:32 pm

Making plans for events and travel is fun :D

In June my husband and I are gong on a cruise for our 20th anniversary (kids are also coming but they are staying in a separate room with my Mom). We signed up for some seaside horseback riding and some other beach excursions.

I think looking forward to stuff is half the fun. :sunny:
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Squigglyx » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 pm

My other half has a hip replacement op scheduled for June, and she is likely to be out of action for a couple of months after that, so at the moment, we haven't got any holiday trips booked for this year. Just a couple of concert and theatre trips in the next couple of months. I miss having a holiday to look forward to and plan :(
Squigglyx

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 pm

Squigglyx wrote:My other half has a hip replacement op scheduled for June, and she is likely to be out of action for a couple of months after that, so at the moment, we haven't got any holiday trips booked for this year. Just a couple of concert and theatre trips in the next couple of months. I miss having a holiday to look forward to and plan :(

Maybe you could plan an easygoing trip to someplace pretty in the country for the fall? Like a bed and breakfast with a view of the foliage? And a nice restaurant nearby? Nothing big, just to get out of town, you know.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby steeljam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 am

Squigglyx wrote:My other half has a hip replacement op scheduled for June, and she is likely to be out of action for a couple of months after that, so at the moment, we haven't got any holiday trips booked for this year. Just a couple of concert and theatre trips in the next couple of months. I miss having a holiday to look forward to and plan :(
My wife had a 'Boot' which meant she was unable to walk very far. We discovered that many of the National Trust establishments wer wheelchair and buggy friendly and some could provide buggies free-of-charge to members.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Sat Feb 15, 2020 08:39 pm

Seeing Suzanne here *waves frantically* :D :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Catch-up » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:18 pm

:D :D :D *Waves frantically back at Carol!*

Here's what cheered me up today. I followed through on a social commitment and it wasn't awful. I can be really bad about getting out and doing social things. Not always intentionally. I sometimes just get caught up in doing my own things. So, about a month ago, I agreed to go to a.... wait for it.... Galentine's Day Brunch. Did you gag a little bit? It was being hosted by an acquaintance and a couple of friends were supposed to be there - they were no shows of course. I almost bailed myself but made myself go anyway, and I'm really glad I did! There were a couple other people there I knew besides the hostess. Everyone I chatted with was interesting and fun to talk to. And the spread she laid out was gorgeous and delicious! So, I socialized and I didn't curl up and die. Mission accomplished.
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Sun Feb 16, 2020 08:50 pm

Awful weather; rain and wind. Demolished our brick wall!
Thankfully, we were indoors at a trampoline park. Over a football field of bouncy, rubbery things.
Went to the park with my son, granddaughter and grandson. It has been over 25 years since I last jumped on a trampoline.
There is only a lower age limit so I could enjoy the experience.
The experience slowly came back to me; first the keeping upright, then a few moves. I am as supple as I was 25 years ago.
Managed a few somersaults!
Afterwards, an excellent meal at a local fish restaurant.
There is nothing better than a birthday with family.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Mon Feb 17, 2020 03:10 pm

steeljam wrote:Awful weather; rain and wind. Demolished our brick wall!
Thankfully, we were indoors at a trampoline park. Over a football field of bouncy, rubbery things.
Went to the park with my son, granddaughter and grandson. It has been over 25 years since I last jumped on a trampoline.
There is only a lower age limit so I could enjoy the experience.
The experience slowly came back to me; first the keeping upright, then a few moves. I am as supple as I was 25 years ago.
Managed a few somersaults!
Afterwards, an excellent meal at a local fish restaurant.
There is nothing better than a birthday with family.

Wow!! Both in regards to your wall coming down, and your stunts at the trampoline park! Sounds fun! (the trampolines, not the wall getting demolished) :D
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table