Discworld

Magrat Garlick's Wet Hen Club

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Magrat Garlick's Wet Hen Club

Postby Sandra » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:31 am

:D
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Nov 23, 2018 05:45 pm

Yay! :D
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Among the rather eclectic collection of people I follow on Twitter is the Ravenmaster at the Tower of London. He likes to keep the world up do date with the antics of the feathery custodians of The Tower, but just recently he seems to have developed a new informer . . . :lol:

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:31 pm

So Cyril the Squirrel at the Tower of London has had his first official portrait as Yeosquirrel Warder :D :D :D

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 05:30 pm

Am heartbroken - just back from the vets with my youngest moggie, Felix (he of sitting on deliveries of large packages in cardboard boxes and avid TV watcher). He hasn't been well for a week or so now and yesterday/today has been showing signs of being in distress. Took him to the vets just now and the vet thinks he can feel a largish tumour :cry: :cry: :cry: Am taking Felix back into the vet first thing tomorrow for an ultrasound and biopsy to find out just how bad things are, but the vet said to prepare for the worst. Can't believe it - he's barely 5 years old and is just the loveliest, playful, affectionate and crazy little fluffball. Am praying that it's something operable :cry: :meow: :cry:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 am

Oh no! Thinking good thoughts for little Felix
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:54 am

Basement wrote:Oh no! Thinking good thoughts for little Felix
'nk you Jacqui xxx

They're doing the ultrasound & biopsy as we speak, so I'm anxiously waiting for news. He's such a lovely, happy, little weirdo (who must have been a dog in a former life) that I'm in bits at the thought of loosing him :cry: Will keep you posted with what the diagnosis/prognosis is when I hear back from the vet
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jan 29, 2019 02:00 pm

Felix does NOT have cancer!!!

Am sooooooo relieved it's not a tumour, as the vet was very pessimistic in his prognosis yesterday if it was, given the size of the mass he could feel. However, the poor little chap does have the worst case of impacted constipation the vet has ever seen in a cat :( :meow: :( so he is still very ill and in danger, as until they clear the blockage they can't tell if there's been damage to the colon and if so, how bad. They're sedating him and will have to perform one enema this afternoon and probably another tomorrow morning before they can tell if he's got permanent damage to his digestive system and what needs to be done to manage it - he might need to be on medication for the rest of his life, but I don't mind as long as he has a 'rest of his life'.

First he needs to make it through the night. Fingers crossed everyone!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Vorlina » Tue Jan 29, 2019 02:15 pm

Really pleased to hear it's not the dreaded C (I have lost kitties to this) and fingers crossed he comes through his clean out with flying colours.

Poor little fluffypuff!
Vee

Keeping the monsters under the bed at bay with Bourbons
Vorlina

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jan 29, 2019 02:55 pm

Vorlina wrote:Really pleased to hear it's not the dreaded C (I have lost kitties to this) and fingers crossed he comes through his clean out with flying colours.

Poor little fluffypuff!

'nk you, m'dear. Am keeping everything crossed that they can help him xxx I'll get an update on him at about 5.30ish
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jan 30, 2019 04:12 pm

Hopeful thoughts for you on his health and well-being!
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Hopeful thoughts for you on his health and well-being!

'nk you Nonny :meow: He's been kept in for a 2nd night at the vets as his afternoon x-ray showedd that although he's cleared quite a bit of the backlog (pardon the pune) he's still got a blockage higher up his colon. They'll give him another enema tomorrow, and are regularly massarging his tummy in an effort to get things moving naturally. He's definitely more comfortable and is no longer crying in pain, but the vet wants to make sure the blockage is cleared and he can poop on his own before allowing him home again. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to bring him home tomorrow as I miss the little fluffball and Oscar, my other tomcat, keeps wandering round the house miaowing loudly looking for him
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Thu Jan 31, 2019 01:03 am

I'm glad for the hopeful news, Grace. Fingers still crossed for little Felix!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am

How do you get more roughage into a cat? We both know that for humans it would be a high bran diet for us but cats????

You might want to ask your vet about cat grass? I can't think of any other fibre that is considered Ok for cats (being obligate carnivores otherwise). all the advice I have heard of says to avoid carbs of all types to keep your little smilodons healthy.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 06:50 pm

Sandra wrote:How do you get more roughage into a cat? We both know that for humans it would be a high bran diet for us but cats????

You might want to ask your vet about cat grass? I can't think of any other fibre that is considered Ok for cats (being obligate carnivores otherwise). all the advice I have heard of says to avoid carbs of all types to keep your little smilodons healthy.
Actually in this case, I think the problem was caused or at least exacerbated by too much roughage :? When I had the flu for the 1st couple of weeks in January, I wasn't giving him as much 'wet' food as I normally do, so he was eating more dried biscuit food for a couple of weeks - the other cats are fine, thankfully, so Felix can't have been drinking enough water to compensate for the extra dry food.

The good news is - he's home!! :D :D :D Although he's on mild laxatives for the foreseeable, so is prone to very stinky farts and 'accidents' that I swear could be bottled and weaponised :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

He's eating and very alert, but is voiciferously objecting to being shut in the bathroom - but it's the only option until he stops leaking, or I find some suitable bio-hazmat gear!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table