Discworld

Magrat Garlick's Wet Hen Club

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Magrat Garlick's Wet Hen Club

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:26 am

So, 2 nights ago I was woken up at 4 o'clock in the morning by the sound of all hell breaking loose coming from underneath the bed - not a pleasant feeling when you're still in it. After a few seconds terror, panic and heart palpitations I fumbled for the torch and tentatively peered under the bed . . .

. . . to find that one of the cats had brought in a live field mouse and decided that the best place in the whole house to release the poor creature for a game of chase, was right under the bed that I was sleeping in :evil: First cat was then joined by two of the other cats, all three now chasing the terrified mouse around the underbed boxes and at the same time fighting, hissing and spitting at each other for getting in the way of getting at the mouse. Eventually one of them catches Mr Mouse and legs it in to the bathroom. Having recovered enough to be sure I wasn't having a heart attack, I stumble after and manage to eject three fired up, mouse-killing fur-balls from the bathroom. After much kerfuffle and building of barriers behind the loo using bottles of various cleaning fluids, I manage to coax Mr Mouse into a small box and take him downstairs to put him in a small rodent carrier I keep for such occasions, so that he can recover a bit before being released at the end of the garden in the morning.

In the morning, I go down to see him before breakfast and find that the little bugger had escaped! :shock: So, now I had a mouse loose aboot the hoose . . . :roll:

Feline activity later that evening seemed to indicate that the little chap had taken up residence behind the junk shoved underneath the stairs. One of the moggies had taken up guard duties and was refusing to move. I left them to it and went off to bed. Same cat was still on guard the next morning so I assumed the fugitive was still at large. Left cat on guard duty and carried on with the day.

2.30am the next morning I get woken up by one cat growling at another and then a scuffle in the bath. Stumble blearily into the bathroom to find that guard duty had paid off and said cat had caught the poor old mouse and was chasing it round the bath. Cat saw me coming scooped up the mouse and ran off downstairs and into the living room - I made it to the living room just in time to see the cat release the bedraggled little mouse for a new game of cat-and-mouse. My arrival distracted cat just long enough for the mouse to have it away on his paws underneath the sofa and (I hoped) out of the air vent at the back as he was nowhere to be seen. Yay for Mr Mouse!, I thought, free at last, and went off to bed.

Came downstairs this morning to find three murderous moggies all fascinated by something in the fire-hearth. As there's usually nothing more interesting in there than a basket of pine cones, I had the sinking feeling that Mr Mouse hadn't escaped and was now once again cornered and hideously out-numbered. A few minutes later and a little be-whiskered nose and a pair of beady eyes peeked up from behind a pine cone and regarded me desperately from behind an enclosing circle of calculating cats.

Being a self-confessed Wet Hen, I couldn't leave the poor little chap to his fate - especially after he had managed to survive so many repeated maulings and was still making valiant attempts at escape. I set about building barriers to herd him into a cardboard tube, which is not easy when you've got three cats all trying to beat you to the mouse at the same time. I popped a few peanuts at the end of the tube to encourage him in, but after half an hour: nuffin'

So I tried with a bit of buttered toast and a few minutes later heard some scratching and checked the tube, but I wasn't quick enough - the little bugger had been in and out of the tube and pinched the toast!

Developing a sense of deep admiration for the determination of this little mouse, I baited the tube with some toast again - this time with the toast at the very bottom of the tube - and waited, hovering ninja-like mere inches from the tube. A few minutes later, I heard scratching and grabbed the tube like a flash and SUCCESS!!!

After three days and two nights of repeated cat-maulings, near-death cat-chases, valiant escapes and bids for freedom, and cheekily stealing bits of toast, I am now very happy to report that Mr Mouse has been successfully released into the leaves at the bottom of the garden, where he took a moment to have a wash and a good sniff about, before scuttling off to freedom. :D

Live long and prosper Mr Mouse - you are one tough mousey!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Re: Magrat Garlick's Wet Hen Club

Postby Alan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 08:13 pm

That's one tough and resourceful mouse,you sure its not a M-1000 cyborg mouse from the future? :D
Romani ite domum
Alan

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 09:02 pm

Alan wrote:That's one tough and resourceful mouse,you sure its not a M-1000 cyborg mouse from the future? :D
:lol:
I can't help feeling that if he was an M-1000 cyborg, he would have kicked the cat's butt! :meow: and although I can't speak to his education level, I think that Maurice himself would certainly been impressed by that little rodent's resourcefulness, not to mention his resilience!
Grace Speaker

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Sep 29, 2016 06:55 am

And on this weeks Cat and Mouse round up, Rodent Victory to Mr Squeaky! for valiantly surviving a chase under a bed, and avoiding three cats, one trip round a bathtub and as stoppages delayed play , an overnight stay was required.
Round two of this grudge match continued with a mad dash from an under stair store, to a fireplace, with added camouflage, and after a pleading look to the referee,
half time was called, and toast given in the final half hour . Before the Victors release!

An epic match of three days and two nights, Cats 0 Mr Squeaky 9 ( for avoiding each cat 3 times ) Owner 4 for refereeing such a good game!

It sounds like fun :D When is the re match? Good for you Grace for having faith in Mr Mouse, a true Wet Hen " cluck! " :thumbr:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Basement » Thu Sep 29, 2016 08:48 am

None of Buster's "presents" get left to him. He gets grabbed (it's easier with one, rather than 3!) and locked in the bathroom and then somehow I get the mousie out, usually involving a carboard tube that was in the middle of wrapping paper; mousie gets cornered and then I force him into the tube. They're normally so small that it's not really forced as I just slide it over them. Mousie then scrambles up a little way so then I can pick up the tube and put my spare hand over the bottom. Then mousie gets released outside and Buster gets released from the bathroom. But he's not allowed out for a while to give mousie a chance to run off.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:04 am

Yay!! for all my fellow rodent rescuers :thumbl:

I thought us Wet Hens should have a thread where we can share our escapades :wink:

I should probably also confess to putting seeds out for the birds, nuts out for the squirrels, scraps out for the foxes, picking up worn out bees and putting them on the nearest flower and apologising to worms if I accidentally cut bits off with a spade when gardening. Some of my favourite Wet Hen moments are when my current resident Robin comes to sit on the fence when I'm watering the garden and sings to me and when Tilly, a little vixen who visits the garden every evening, plays with the dogs ball or plays chase with the cats round the lawn - although she does get a little bullied by the youngest cat, bless her.
Grace Speaker

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun Oct 02, 2016 04:34 am

As the Nonny of the Mouse I have to say well done :D

BTW if you really want to see how tough lil mice are, google 'scorpion mouse'. These desert fellows kill scorpions and howl at the moon. Seriously. It's so cute and awesome at the same time. Mice rock.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby I.B.Igor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 06:35 am

Love scorpion mice! they are cute furry ninja dudes, and they really do howl.

I have a soft spot for mice, when I was much much smaller, my Mum called me Door-mouse, as after I had eaten my dinner, I would fall asleep at the table. ( I still get sleepy if I have a decent meal now ) I also like field mice, and harvest mice, a House mouse is nice, but sadly need to be removed.
I dislike rats though, saw one this year in April, and since then Dinky our furry assassin, has dispatched two of the brood, we think they had a nest under next doors shed, still felt sad when she showed me her latest victory, a lifeless seven inch body with a tail to match, slowly cooling on the patio. :(

He got a ceremonial burial in blue plastic , tightly wrapped and sealed, and put in a box in the bin. ( cant have his mates doing what they do, and just leaving the green wobbly bit ! ) Poor-mister Ratty.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Oct 04, 2016 04:45 am

We have a rat. His name is Finn although when he escaped into the wall and it took us 24 hours to catch him he earned the nickname Boogerface McStinkypants.

He's pretty sweet most of the time. I personally liked a hamster better but they don't live as long. I love rodents.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Basement » Thu Oct 06, 2016 09:07 am

Nonny Mouse wrote: he earned the nickname Boogerface McStinkypants.

:lol: :lol:
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:56 am

Loving the new John Lewis Christmas add :D as an inveterate animal lover, and self confessed Wet Hen, I'm thoroughly on board with message of sharing our lives and gardens with our wonderful wildlife . . . and bouncing Boxers . . . although small children in fluffy dressing gowns are optional . . . :wink:

John Lewis Christmas add 2016
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 13, 2016 09:13 pm

OMG! That was a fantastic story Grace! Thank you. I used to have to get mice away from our old cat. She knew exactly what I was up to and would try to keep it away from me.
Catch-up

Postby Basement » Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:35 am

Having had two boxers and owning a cat called Buster, I LOVE the ad! Boing, boing, boing!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 03:48 pm

Basement wrote:Having had two boxers and owning a cat called Buster, I LOVE the ad! Boing, boing, boing!
This one's for you! :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1y7v27OKuw
Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Thu Nov 24, 2016 09:47 am

Grace Speaker wrote:
Basement wrote:Having had two boxers and owning a cat called Buster, I LOVE the ad! Boing, boing, boing!
This one's for you! :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1y7v27OKuw

Love it!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table