Discworld

Magrat Garlick's Wet Hen Club

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: Magrat Garlick's Wet Hen Club

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 am

Another mouse rescue conducted this evening - involved chasing the murderous moggy (mouse in mouth) around the kitchen, out in to the garden in the dark, up and down the path and in the back door, through the kitchen again, down the corridor and up the stairs before finally rugby tackling him upstairs on the landing. Despite being menacingly growled at, I managed to get the poor little bedraggled mouse off him.

Thought the poor little chap was dead at first, but when I opened the tissue he was clearly gasping for breath even though he was too exhausted or terrified to move. Popped him in the rodent carrier I keep for such occasions, thinking he was likely to die of shock, but checked on him after an hour or so and he has recovered enough to have an explore, a chew on a peanut and is currently hiding in a cardboard tube. If he makes it through the night, he'll be released back into the garden in the morning . . . murderous moggies permitting

I do have to admit to having an ulterior motive to my mouse rescues, as one of the little blighters once tried to take refuge in a book that was in the bedroom, expired in said book, turned maggoty and it was only the god-awful smell that alerted me to the dead mouse, by which time the book was completely ruined and it took a LOT of Febreeze to get rid of the smell. They may only be tiny, but believe me a dead rotting mouse creates one hell of a stink!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 am

Great rescue Grace! Did he make it?
Catch-up

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Catch-up wrote:Great rescue Grace! Did he make it?
The jury is still out, as the little blighter escaped the carrier overnight and was last seen scampering into the fire hearth in the living room to escape my ginger tom-cat, who had been chasing it round the TV cabinet. A cardboard tube with some toast in it has been deployed, but no luck yet.

Hopefully, once the fox mating season is over, the foxes will get back to catching the garden mice before my moggies do - at least the foxes don't bring them in the house and release them under my bed at 4am in the morning!
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Bet you AM$5 that you can't watch this video without thinking boing . . . boing . . . boing . . . :wink:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/sep/20/deer-skips-across-poole-harbour-at-sunrise-video
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 08:11 pm

Love this little baby dik-dik deer - he has a nose that can sniff round corners! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38925011
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 01:42 pm

Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Fri Jun 16, 2017 01:52 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Love this little baby dik-dik deer - he has a nose that can sniff round corners! :D

has been named Thanos

Someone has a sense of humour...
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 05:24 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Love this little baby dik-dik deer - he has a nose that can sniff round corners! :D

has been named Thanos

Someone has a sense of humour...
:lol: one of the keepers is a clearly a mad Marvel Comic book fan . . . although I have to agree it's not the best choice of name as it's hard to imagine a less likely supervillian than a baby dik-dik
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 01:55 pm

A dose of feline feel-good: The story of a deaf, rescue cat called Corporal Nobby Nobbs :D :meow:

Elderly rescue cat loves his humans
Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table