Discworld

What's for Dinner (Lunch, Elevenses, Second Breakfast, etc.)

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What's for Dinner (Lunch, Elevenses, Second Breakfast, etc.)

Postby phazedout » Wed Feb 24, 2021 09:35 pm

having sucessfully made essi a shepherd's pie for valentines (as well as fresh baked bread to wake up to on the day itself) this weekend during her viist i boubht beef intending to make cottege pie. i elected as i got a rce cooker last week to make a form of chili con carne, rice cooker looked great but we only used half the beef, so i refigerated it then turned the remainder in to a lovely cottege pe the following ay, we ate half of htat and i've boxed and frozen the rest,
I might get in tohthis cooking lark, Essi makes me want to eat healthier and live longer so i can have more time with her
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Squigglyx » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:14 pm

phazedout wrote:having sucessfully made essi a shepherd's pie for valentines (as well as fresh baked bread to wake up to on the day itself) this weekend during her viist i boubht beef intending to make cottege pie. i elected as i got a rce cooker last week to make a form of chili con carne, rice cooker looked great but we only used half the beef, so i refigerated it then turned the remainder in to a lovely cottege pe the following ay, we ate half of htat and i've boxed and frozen the rest,
I might get in tohthis cooking lark, Essi makes me want to eat healthier and live longer so i can have more time with her

Brilliant, the best bit is when you start to adapt the recipes for your own taste.
What happens if I add a bit of chilli, garlic, paprika etc
I say go for it :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby steeljam » Thu Feb 25, 2021 09:45 am

We are homeschooling our grandchildren. Trying to come up with something for dinner is a problem.
I don't want them on a diet of pizza and chicken nuggets.
I have settled on some easy to make recipes:
Cottage pie and Bolognese sauce - very similar and easy to make and cook.
Casseroles/stews are mainly my creations. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions carrots, leeks, butternut squash, chickpeas or other beans, Worcestershire sauce, some herbs with stock. Stick on the hob and let simmer.
I will then add pieces of chicken, beef or sausages.
Good thing is that the kids love it.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Sandra » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:00 am

We have become aware that our freezer has turned into a sorting system - after over a year of feeding only two people (my lockdown started January due to well timed major surgery) the freezer now contains a lot of joints (helped by two Christmas hampers and our habit of buying meat by the carcass).

So roast chicken and boiled ham this week, followed by leftover meals - chicken, ham (and leftover bacon and last garden leeks) pie filling (for topping with mash as pastry hates me) and today I'm making a variant of my bean and sausage casserole.

I feel that last year has taken us back to last millennium - when we had just left Uni and take outs were a major luxury, holidays a pipedream and we couldn't afford to travel to see family...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Thu Feb 25, 2021 02:11 pm

chrisboote wrote:I yesterday made a bunch of tandoori chicken thighs that actually worked - the yoghurt dried and coated them, rather than separating into curds and whey
Grilling them and accepting that the grill pan would need a thorough elbow grease clean* afterwards was the trick

Slightly spicier than I intended, but so good hot last night with sweet potato and grilled courgettes, and cold in a sandwich today for lunch with mango chutney and the rest of the courgettes

* And as I cooked, Julia did the cleaning, so ... ;)

Having personal experience of Chris' cooking, I'm drooling.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phalarope » Thu Feb 25, 2021 02:14 pm

Sandra wrote:I feel that last year has taken us back to last millennium - when we had just left Uni and take outs were a major luxury, holidays a pipedream and we couldn't afford to travel to see family...

Exactly!

I found a big package of frozen chicken breasts. Mulligatawny.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Feb 25, 2021 05:35 pm

Sunday is my birthday and I'm going to make a prime rib roast like I did at Christmas :D

My husband offered to get takeout from a steak place, but with that kind of meat it's just not the same. Plus I did a good job - the only hard part is that you have to watch the meat thermometer closely so you don't dare overcook it. And you have to have the rest of dinner ready to go because when it's done, it's dinner time, end of story. But as far as physical effort - not really.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table