Discworld

What's for Dinner (Lunch, Elevenses, Second Breakfast, etc.)

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What's for Dinner (Lunch, Elevenses, Second Breakfast, etc.)

Postby Kelshandra » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:23 am

In honour of Anzac day (think a war memorial day equivalent for your country, this one is for Australia and New Zealand) I've just made a batch of Anzac biscuits using the original recipie. I've got one batch in the oven now and at least a biscuit or two of the dough in me (very very very yummy and warm). I'm being good and stepping away so I don't eat the rest before cooking it!

I've also jumped on the sourdough trend- early experiments with soft pretzels are promising (it's a good way to use the starter discard) but I have my first proper loaf of bread rising at the moment. I hope it's rising, anyway!
Currently semi-irregularly working on the 2010 and 2020 Yearbooks- 2019 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Penners » Sat Apr 25, 2020 07:15 am

Last night was a smoked salmon and king prawn salad with my own version of thousand island dressing (I add extra paprika and cayenne pepper for more kick).

Tonight will be slow-cooked lamb shanks, red wine gravy, and roast veg.
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby phalarope » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:58 pm

It's Penners!!!! :D :D :D Waves frantically. :bounce:

Weird comfort food eating. Yesterday's dinner was shad roe* fried in bacon grease with mashed potatoes. Steamed spinach on the side.

*This is a springtime regional speciality**

**Any seasoned traveller soon learns to avoid anything wished on them as a ‘regional speciality’, because all the term means is that dish is so unpleasant the people living everywhere else will bite off their own legs rather than eat it. (LC)
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Catch-up » Sun Apr 26, 2020 01:35 am

Yum! To all of the above.

Tonight it was the ultimate comfort food - pizza.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Pat » Sun Apr 26, 2020 04:55 pm

I made meatballs and sauce from the recipe IKEA (I assume) released. Not bad, though I need to learn to chop onions finer.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Sun Apr 26, 2020 08:49 pm

Pat wrote:I made meatballs and sauce from the recipe IKEA (I assume) released. Not bad, though I need to learn to chop onions finer.

Good old Gordon showed me.
But be warned you should start slowly; a good sharp knife close to your finger creates red onions!
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby annebn » Tue Apr 28, 2020 04:07 pm

Pat wrote:I made meatballs and sauce from the recipe IKEA (I assume) released. Not bad, though I need to learn to chop onions finer.

Grating the onion works best for mestballs. But it might make you cry.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Sandra » Tue Apr 28, 2020 04:30 pm

I don't make meatballs - but I do make stuffing balls. Generally I cut the onions to make them a feature texture of the stuffing but I have used a food processor before. That's really very fine, and you might want goggles as there is so much of the lacrimator released. (I cheated by adding bread after the onions were fine enough, absorbs the juice and helps clean out the processor at the same time.)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table