Discworld

What's for Dinner (Lunch, Elevenses, Second Breakfast, etc.)

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: What's for Dinner (Lunch, Elevenses, Second Breakfast, etc.)

Postby phalarope » Wed Dec 25, 2019 08:12 pm

Christmas dinner - roast leg of lamb seasoned with garam masala, roasted sprouts in hoisin sesame sauce, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, mmmmmmmmm. :sunny:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Dec 30, 2019 04:18 pm

I found a great Youtube channel that teaches easy French home cooking, and I've been dying to try it. I had an opportunity on Saturday, when I made poulet au vinaigre (vinegar chicken). Sounds weird, but it was totally amazing. You cook the chicken in vinegar, stock, and wine, and this tenderizes the meat like crazy, and then you balance out the acidity of the sauce in the end with cream. Also fresh tarragon.

It was lovely and complex and balanced and different than anything I've ever made (my other choice would be chicken Marengo, except it's too much like my chicken cacciatore but with cognac instead of wine [I don't like bell peppers so I don't use them]). I LOVED it.

It is quite a bit of work, lots of reducing the liquids etc that takes a lot of time, so I probably won't make it often. But holy cow, it was delicious and special.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Ural4320 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 07:56 pm

My wife watched Gennaro Contaldo's video on Yougube and prepared an Italian Christmas porchetta, I'm quite eager to taste how it turned out...
Ural4320

Postby phalarope » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Creamed chipped beef on toast for breakfast. Otherwise known as s**t on a shingle. :wink: With a hard boiled egg. :D :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 pm

Ooo! Nonny! That sounds delicious. It sounds similar to a recipe I used to make with pork chops. Haven't tried it in awhile because the last few times I made it, it just didn't turn out well.

We tried two new recipes over the holiday break. Beef shawarma sandwiches (wraps), which turned out wonderful. And a.... not sure what to call it. A Mexican bake dish with a corn bread topping. Also turned out yummy! We end up making the same 5 things all the time, it was good to have something different. Tonight was just breakfast dinner.
Catch-up

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon Jan 06, 2020 04:38 pm

Catch-up, sounds like what I know as tamale pie.

My son is going on a Choir trip this week to a barbershop competition, so my grocery bill this week was about 2/3 what it is normally :lol:
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby phalarope » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:41 am

Nonny Mouse wrote: my grocery bill this week was about 2/3 what it is normally :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The guy that hunts* on my back 40 dropped off 2 pair of goose breasts on Saturday. I am corning them now and slavering in anticipation of this coming Saturday's dinner.

* For a given value of hunting. He sets up a motion activated game camera over an immense pile of corn, then collects it every week. He's after white-tailed deer (yes, Bambi). There's a huge herd of does that wanders from my woods to the cornfield across the lane and back twice a day. I could easily do one in with the car. :roll: I'm not sure I've seen him with a gun yet this year. But I get crabs, oysters, venison, and waterfowl in return for letting him onto my property, so I feel like I'm on the winning side of this relationship. :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby phazedout » Tue Jan 07, 2020 08:52 pm

phalarope wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote: my grocery bill this week was about 2/3 what it is normally :lol:

The guy that hunts* on my back 40 dropped off 2 pair of goose breasts on Saturday. I am corning them now and slavering in anticipation of this coming Saturday's dinner.

Is it possible to say back 40 without adding "y'all"
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby phalarope » Wed Jan 08, 2020 01:07 am

phazedout wrote:
phalarope wrote:

Is it possible to say back 40 without adding "y'all"

Yes. It's a western rather than a southern term.
[pedant mode] Back +‎ forty, meaning “back side of a farm”. In the Civil War-era Homestead Acts, farmers were granted a quarter section; a section was 640 acres, a quarter section was 160 acres, and the quarter section was itself subdivided into four quarter-quarter sections of 40 acres each: two front forty and two back forty. The act, considered one of the United States’ most important pieces of legislation, led to Western expansion and allowed citizens of all walks of life—including former slaves, women and immigrants—to become landowners. Y'all is a Southern 2nd person plural pronoun.[/pedant mode] :wink:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Also, 'Southern' means the southeast quadrant, because AZ is on the south side of things but is considered Southwest or West, and the only people here who say "y'all" brought it from somewhere else.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby steeljam » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:28 pm

phalarope wrote:Yes. It's a western rather than a southern term.
[pedant mode] Back +‎ forty, meaning “back side of a farm”. In the Civil War-era Homestead Acts, farmers were granted a quarter section; a section was 640 acres, a quarter section was 160 acres, and the quarter section was itself subdivided into four quarter-quarter sections of 40 acres each: two front forty and two back forty. The act, considered one of the United States’ most important pieces of legislation, led to Western expansion and allowed citizens of all walks of life—including former slaves, women and immigrants—to become landowners. Y'all is a Southern 2nd person plural pronoun.[/pedant mode] :wink:

[pedant mode] Two back forties?[/pedant mode] Isn't this a back 80?
Or should there be a back 40, front 40, left 40 and right 40? I realise the house may not be in the centre of the plot so it could be back 60.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Fri Jan 10, 2020 01:55 am

I can't be held accountable for 1860s legal jargon. :P
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby steeljam » Fri Jan 10, 2020 05:07 pm

phalarope wrote:I can't be held accountable for 1860s legal jargon. :P
I supposed the term originated with entertaining friends in the afternoon. "Come out the back for tea."
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Wed Jan 15, 2020 01:40 am

Went out to dinner with two shellfish biologist colleagues yesterday, after a long day dredging for hard clams. The restaurant is described by Google as a "sophisticated outlet for upscale New American food made from local seafood, organic produce & dairy". Appetizers included buffalo buffalo blow toads - natty boh* battered blowfish** / buffalo sauce / vidalia slaw / bleu cheese dressing. Well one has to, doesn't one? Along with crispy pan seared brussel sprouts and butternut squash / smoked bacon / sesame seed / truffle vinaigrette / candied pecans / bonito washed down with small batch ginger beer, om nom nom.

* National Bohemian beer originally brewed in Baltimore
**aka northern pufferfish
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Sandra » Wed Jan 15, 2020 02:16 pm

Battered blowfish???

Isn't that dangerous (thinking most cowfish/boxfish/puffers and porcupine fish have tetradotoxin to some extent (even known as poisoners of fish tanks when stressed))?
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table