Discworld

I just came to say hello

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

I just came to say hello

Postby GeorgeHarepigo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 03:58 pm

I just came to say hello
GeorgeHarepigo

Re: I just came to say hello

Postby phazedout » Wed Jul 12, 2017 08:29 pm

HELLO*

*just my rather pointed joke
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Jul 13, 2017 02:53 am

Hi there
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 08:00 am

Hello! You're from Iceland? I've had a couple of holidays there - it's an amazing place!

Are the Discworld books available in Icelandic?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 am

Well, as we have three regular UK Con-goers from there, I'm guessing yes :)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:21 am

chrisboote wrote:Well, as we have three regular UK Con-goers from there, I'm guessing yes :)

Given that the typical Icelander speaks gooder English than what you and I does, I wouldn't use that as evidence ;-)

No mention on Colin's site and I can't find any for sale on ABE.

I like Iceland. Jan and I have been twice (three times?), once in July 2006 for our 25th wedding anniversary for which we dined at the Pearl, a rotating restaurant overlooking Rekjavic (sadly now moved to new premises), and once a few years ago in March, to see the Northern Lights. We had fun with the satnav, which refused to admit to the existence of the Althing however we spelled it until we loaded the Icelandic keyboard and spelled it Alþing! (Which I think isn't correct anyway - should be Alþingi.) I love the signs you drive past which just say "DANGER". No details, just a general non-specific danager. Boiling mud? Maybe. Razor-sharp rocks? Could be. Marauding Vikings? Perhaps. But don't bother, tourist, it's dangerous, so keep moving. After we'd been there a week we began to think the locals put the DANGER signs where the cheap restaurants were so that the tourists wouldn't find them ;-)

When we were at the airport waiting to fly home, we saw some CDs from a local band and wondered if Katie would like one. At Icelandic Airport prices (which somehow manage to be even higher than Icelandic non-airport prices, something we didn't think possible) we weren't going to chance it, so we rang her. "Sigur Ros? Oh, yes, I like them. They're my second favourite Icelandic band." She knows her music. does my daughter...
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 pm

Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote:Well, as we have three regular UK Con-goers from there, I'm guessing yes :)

Given that the typical Icelander speaks gooder English than what you and I does, I wouldn't use that as evidence ;-)

Crud

I misread 'Icelandic' as 'Iceland'

I know someone who has translated Eric into Old Norse, so most Icelanders should be able to read that :)
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote: the cheap restaurants

Hmm.. you'd have better luck finding the Elves
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 05:04 pm

Pat wrote:When we were at the airport waiting to fly home, we saw some CDs from a local band and wondered if Katie would like one. At Icelandic Airport prices (which somehow manage to be even higher than Icelandic non-airport prices, something we didn't think possible) we weren't going to chance it, so we rang her. "Sigur Ros? Oh, yes, I like them. They're my second favourite Icelandic band." She knows her music. does my daughter...
I have some Sigur Ros CDs myself, after hearing them used as background music on Top Gear* a few years back. I have to be in the right chill-out mood for it though, as some tracks sound like a hump-back whale suffering a major depressive episode . . . :wink:

* well, there are worse things you can pick up from Clarkson . . . a punch in the face, for a start!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 13, 2017 06:37 pm

Pat wrote:Hello! You're from Iceland? I've had a couple of holidays there - it's an amazing place!

Are the Discworld books available in Icelandic?

Probably use the Danish versions - from what I understand they have to make do with Danish for lots of their official stuff

Welcome to the madhouse - you'll either fit in or quietly never return :D
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 09:30 am

The account actually just came to spam, and it (and the spam) has now been removed.

But as it's spawned a tangential discussion (when does that ever happen around here? :twisted: ) this thread can stay I think...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby chrisboote » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 am

Darren wrote:But as it's spawned a tangential discussion (when does that ever happen around here? :twisted: ) this thread can stay I think...

Are we now going to have an off-tangent discussion about off-tangent discussions?

That would be so Meta

And on that subject, today I learned the word 'metaphrastic' meaning paraphrased, which led me to thinking about the word 'interphrastically' used in Blackadder 2, which therefore must mean "in mid phrase", which in itself meant I needed to check whether it was true that one of the killers of Darnley, husband of Mary, Queen of Scots, was a Blackadder (it was) which sent me off to check if the story I read about her being a billiards player was true (t was) which led me to ...

My life is one long stream of consciousness
chrisboote

Postby Sandra » Fri Jul 14, 2017 02:51 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Darren wrote:But as it's spawned a tangential discussion (when does that ever happen around here? :twisted: ) this thread can stay I think...

Are we now going to have an off-tangent discussion about off-tangent discussions?

That would be so Meta

No that would be parallel... if they were 90 degree of tangents... or back to where you started if you were at the pole...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 02:54 pm

Or in our case more likely going around in ever decreasing circles...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Return to The Kitchen Table