Discworld

HISWORLD!

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

HISWORLD!

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Wed Sep 06, 2017 06:53 am

Oook!

Due to my parents raising me in the wrong country, a lack of vacation times & lack of funds, I'm going to completely miss this.

Anybody going - please post pictures!
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Basement » Wed Sep 06, 2017 09:13 am

I'm pretty certain that several of us will get there, and many of those on the first day (including me!). I'm sure a report will be made.
GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Basement
 
Posts: 18063
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow!

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 09:41 am

I'm planning to get the train down on Saturday 16th - to arrive at 9.42am (allegedly . . . this is South Western Trains we're talking about . . .)

Is there anything special happening for the opening of the exhibition at 10am? Other than our wonderful horde of Loonies turning up in costume that is? :D :wink:

I've never been to Salisbury before - can anyone recommend a good pub for lunch and does anyone know if the Cathedral staff would take a dim view of slightly tipsy DW fans wandering around the grounds and possibly starting an impromptu Megapode hunt down the Cloisters? :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Basement » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 am

Grace Speaker wrote:I'm planning to get the train down on Saturday 16th - to arrive at 9.42am (allegedly . . . this is South Western Trains we're talking about . . .)

Is there anything special happening for the opening of the exhibition at 10am? Other than our wonderful horde of Loonies turning up in costume that is? :D :wink:

I've never been to Salisbury before - can anyone recommend a good pub for lunch and does anyone know if the Cathedral staff would take a dim view of slightly tipsy DW fans wandering around the grounds and possibly starting an impromptu Megapode hunt down the Cloisters? :lol:


Is that the Waterloo train? I was thinking of getting that one too.

Ho, the Megapode!
GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Basement
 
Posts: 18063
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow!

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Thu Sep 07, 2017 05:27 am

Basement wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:I'm planning to get the train down on Saturday 16th - to arrive at 9.42am (allegedly . . . this is South Western Trains we're talking about . . .)

Is there anything special happening for the opening of the exhibition at 10am? Other than our wonderful horde of Loonies turning up in costume that is? :D :wink:

I've never been to Salisbury before - can anyone recommend a good pub for lunch and does anyone know if the Cathedral staff would take a dim view of slightly tipsy DW fans wandering around the grounds and possibly starting an impromptu Megapode hunt down the Cloisters? :lol:


Is that the Waterloo train? I was thinking of getting that one too.

Ho, the Megapode!

Oook!

Even more jealous of you guys now!!! :evil:
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 am

Basement wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:I'm planning to get the train down on Saturday 16th - to arrive at 9.42am (allegedly . . . this is South Western Trains we're talking about . . .)

Is there anything special happening for the opening of the exhibition at 10am? Other than our wonderful horde of Loonies turning up in costume that is? :D :wink:

I've never been to Salisbury before - can anyone recommend a good pub for lunch and does anyone know if the Cathedral staff would take a dim view of slightly tipsy DW fans wandering around the grounds and possibly starting an impromptu Megapode hunt down the Cloisters? :lol:


Is that the Waterloo train? I was thinking of getting that one too.

Ho, the Megapode!

That's the chap - although planning to get on at Clapham Junction as much easier for me to get to . . . and I already know where the coffee vendors are - vital intel for that time of the morning! Are you dressing up or going in civvies?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Basement » Thu Sep 07, 2017 02:54 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Basement wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:That's the chap - although planning to get on at Clapham Junction as much easier for me to get to . . . and I already know where the coffee vendors are - vital intel for that time of the morning! Are you dressing up or going in civvies?


I have to admit that I hadn't really thought about costume. I want to make some adjustments to my Magrat dress (it's too short) so maybe this is a good incentive to do that.
GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Basement
 
Posts: 18063
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow!

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby chrisboote » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 am

Basement wrote:I have to admit that I hadn't really thought about costume. I want to make some adjustments to my Magrat dress (it's too short) so maybe this is a good incentive to do that.


I was going to say that with your legs, no dress is really too short, but I couldn't think of any not creepy way to say that
So I wont
:D
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5226
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby chrisboote » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 am

So who's going to be there at 10:00?

Chris
Julia
Dana (from Czech Republic)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5226
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:59 am

chrisboote wrote:So who's going to be there at 10:00?

Chris
Julia
Dana (from Czech Republic)
My train is due to arrive at Salisbury at 9.46am (allegedly) - I've never been to Salisbury before, so don't know if this gives me enough time to walk to the museum for 10am on the dot, but with a good tail-wind I should be there shortly after :D

Following some liquid refreshment over a pub lunch, does anyone fancy a Ho! The Megapode! hunt down the Cathedral cloisters? :D :bounce: :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:30 am

Oook!

Just saw a post on Facebook that there will be an exclusive book about the exhibit, only sold AT the exhibit.

Any kind, wonderful, loving souls* willing to buy it for me, and I'll pay you back the 20 Pounds+shipping?

PLEEEEEASE! :cry:


*or undead, I don't judge
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Basement » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

Grace Speaker wrote:
chrisboote wrote:So who's going to be there at 10:00?

Chris
Julia
Dana (from Czech Republic)
My train is due to arrive at Salisbury at 9.46am (allegedly) - I've never been to Salisbury before, so don't know if this gives me enough time to walk to the museum for 10am on the dot, but with a good tail-wind I should be there shortly after :D

Following some liquid refreshment over a pub lunch, does anyone fancy a Ho! The Megapode! hunt down the Cathedral cloisters? :D :bounce: :wink:


I'll be on the same train as Her Grace (so will be looking out for you at Clapham Junction, or not if you don't want me to). Google maps seems to indicate that it would take a little over quarter of an hour to walk from the station to the museum so I should think that arrival time at the museum is just after opening time, so wait for us!

I don't know how many books we'd be able to buy each, but I shall be buying one for my other half but if I can get another, I'm sure that I can pick you one up, Librarian's Apprentice!
GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Basement
 
Posts: 18063
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow!

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:47 am

Basement wrote:I don't know how many books we'd be able to buy each, but I shall be buying one for my other half but if I can get another, I'm sure that I can pick you one up, Librarian's Apprentice!

Oook!

Bless you! :sunny:

Have extra fun for those of us who can't get there! :thumbl:
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Basement wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:My train is due to arrive at Salisbury at 9.46am (allegedly) - I've never been to Salisbury before, so don't know if this gives me enough time to walk to the museum for 10am on the dot, but with a good tail-wind I should be there shortly after :D

Following some liquid refreshment over a pub lunch, does anyone fancy a Ho! The Megapode! hunt down the Cathedral cloisters? :D :bounce: :wink:


I'll be on the same train as Her Grace (so will be looking out for you at Clapham Junction, or not if you don't want me to). Google maps seems to indicate that it would take a little over quarter of an hour to walk from the station to the museum so I should think that arrival time at the museum is just after opening time, so wait for us!

I don't know how many books we'd be able to buy each, but I shall be buying one for my other half but if I can get another, I'm sure that I can pick you one up, Librarian's Apprentice!

Dear Anyone-who-will-be-there-before-10am,

Can we, the poor unfortunates having to avail ourselves of the vagaries of South Western Trains to traval down from London, ask you to ask, bribe or beseech Mr Wilkins* to be kind to those who will be arriving red-faced and gasping for air at about 10.05am and repeat anything important that we might have missed, it will be much appreciated . . . once we've got our breath back. :D

* maybe delaying the start of festivities for a few moments by telling an amusing anecdote (I'm looking at you Mr Boote) or prompting Bernard to do so . . . although the latter may mean you need to cover the ears of any small children present! :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Basement » Thu Sep 14, 2017 01:05 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Dear Anyone-who-will-be-there-before-10am,

Can we, the poor unfortunates having to avail ourselves of the vagaries of South Western Trains to traval down from London, ask you to ask, bribe or beseech Mr Wilkins* to be kind to those who will be arriving red-faced and gasping for air at about 10.05am and repeat anything important that we might have missed, it will be much appreciated . . . once we've got our breath back. :D

* maybe delaying the start of festivities for a few moments by telling an amusing anecdote (I'm looking at you Mr Boote) or prompting Bernard to do so . . . although the latter may mean you need to cover the ears of any small children present! :wink:


If Mr Wilkins is there on time... (he was a "few" minutes late for opening the Owl Parliament at Birdworld)
GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Basement
 
Posts: 18063
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow!

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron