Discworld

HISWORLD!

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: HISWORLD!

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 03:15 pm

Pat wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote: Oh the temptation to 'accidentally' trip over and break the glass of the display cabinet! :wink:

We won't need to break the glass if my plan to sneak in an MRI scanner works. We can get an image of each page...
I'll help you push it and I have a number of glass cutting implements at my disposal . . .
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Sun Sep 17, 2017 08:41 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Pat wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote: Oh the temptation to 'accidentally' trip over and break the glass of the display cabinet! :wink:

We won't need to break the glass if my plan to sneak in an MRI scanner works. We can get an image of each page...
I'll help you push it and I have a number of glass cutting implements at my disposal . . .

Have you discussed this with Mr boggis_ Don forget to leave a recept
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby chrisboote » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 pm

phazedout wrote:Have you discussed this with Mr boggis_ Don forget to leave a recept

This poses an interesting question
Suppose, by whatever means necessary, a facsimile of each page were to be obtained
At that point, assuming no burglarious entry to the museum was effected to procure said facsimiles, what crime has been committed? Any at all?
Now assume further, that said copyist were to read the pages aloud, in the privacy of their own home - any crime committed yet?
And finally, to push the assumption further down the road, what if a number of the reader's friends just happened to be in the same room
All perfectly legal? Or not?
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon Sep 18, 2017 04:38 am

Kelshandra wrote:
Librarians Apprentice wrote:
Basement wrote:Looks like the book will be available outside of the museum https://discworld.com/products/collectables/little-blue-book/

Oook!

They only ship inside the UK :cry: :cry: :cry:

I wrote to Discworld.com, but they might not change their selling policy in time for me, so I'm still going to rely on Basement (or anyone else who will be there) to buy a copy from the exhibit.

Wait what? Are you sure? I've just bought one from them yesterday and they are shipping it down here to XXXX? I mean I had to select international shipping as an option but I currently have an email in my inbox with the confirmation of the order? You have me worried that it's going to be cancelled now which will make me very upset :S

Oook!

Kel, if you managed to order then you're fine (I think) - the site wouldn't let me complete my order, and since the only shipping option I saw was UK-something I assumed that meant it wouldn't allow ANY country outside the UK to complete the order.

I guess Israel just isn't on their shipping list since they changed the site's name. :?
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Kelshandra » Mon Sep 18, 2017 08:33 am

I was curious so I went to check. Under the option to choose shipping there is a small line that says 'you current location is'. Try clicking the yellow united kingdom first THEN choose a shipping option.
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:56 pm

There are times when I really want to poke Capitalism right in the eye with a very sharp stick

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253159265714?ul_noapp=true
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 05:32 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:There are times when I really want to poke Capitalism right in the eye with a very sharp stick

I know what you mean - but what if this is a fan who could only afford to go by doing this? We'll never know if that's the case (though I suspect it is not).
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 05:50 pm

Pat wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:There are times when I really want to poke Capitalism right in the eye with a very sharp stick

I know what you mean - but what if this is a fan who could only afford to go by doing this? We'll never know if that's the case (though I suspect it is not).
That is a consideration, I'll grant you, but in this case the ticket to get into the museum was only £7.50 and the book an optional extra of £20 and is available to buy online, but this auction starts at £60 . . .

. . . also, in the interest of full disclosure, there is also the issue that I, personally, would rather donate a kidney than part with a single one of my signed books, so this has my inner Librarian priming a ballistic peanut :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 08:44 pm

Vultures are all around us.
I remember going to see the premiere of the Colour of Magic.
I had a ticket but before going in, I wanted to get some photos of the celebrities. I was early and got a good position at the front behind the barrier.
I was barged very forcibly out of the way as Sean and David arrived and signed some autographs. The problem was the 'fans' were touts carrying a sheath of photos of Sean and David. It was so obvious they were getting them to sell while the real fans struggled to get their programmes and cards signed.
Image Image Image
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 01:36 pm

For anyone not able to get down to Salisbury for the exhibition yet, the BBC did a rather nice news item on it last week:

https://vimeo.com/233946997/8b93b8a849
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 03:48 pm

chrisboote wrote:Suppose, by whatever means necessary, a facsimile of each page were to be obtained
At that point, assuming no burglarious entry to the museum was effected to procure said facsimiles, what crime has been committed? Any at all?

I think that would count as theft of intellectual property.
chrisboote wrote:Now assume further, that said copyist were to read the pages aloud, in the privacy of their own home - any crime committed yet?

That probably doesn't add to the above.
chrisboote wrote:And finally, to push the assumption further down the road, what if a number of the reader's friends just happened to be in the same room

But that, I think, counts as "publishing" or possibly "broadcasting".
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 04:08 pm

Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote:Suppose, by whatever means necessary, a facsimile of each page were to be obtained

chrisboote wrote:Now assume further, that said copyist were to read the pages aloud, in the privacy of their own home - any crime committed yet?

chrisboote wrote:And finally, to push the assumption further down the road, what if a number of the reader's friends just happened to be in the same room

According to section 1.1 of the UK Government's guide to Intellectual property crime and infringement the above plan would technically be classed as Piracy and, since there would no intent to profit financially, would be classed as a civil offence . . . so, if we sauntered up to the museum dressed in eye patches, breeches and big floaty blouses and were incredibly civil to everyone on the way we wouldn't be causing any offence at all but if we did get caught, we could all pretend we were a local Am-Dram group or blame it on the high-jinks of local University students in Freshers week . . . and if that didn't work, the costumes would make it a lot easier to plead insanity . . . :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Thu Sep 21, 2017 07:52 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Pat wrote:

According to section 1.1 of the UK Government's guide to Intellectual property crime and infringement the above plan would technically be classed as Piracy and, since there would no intent to profit financially, would be classed as a civil offence . . . so, if we sauntered up to the museum dressed in eye patches, breeches and big floaty blouses and were incredibly civil to everyone on the way we wouldn't be causing any offence at all but if we did get caught, we could all pretend we were a local Am-Dram group or blame it on the high-jinks of local University students in Freshers week . . . and if that didn't work, the costumes would make it a lot easier to plead insanity . . . :lol:

I think in fairness you'd probably have a hard time convincing anyone most of us lot are sane without costumes on....
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby chrisboote » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 am

phazedout wrote:I think in fairness you'd probably have a hard time convincing anyone most of us lot are sane without costumes on....

The only costume I wear is 'vaguely normal' for work each weekday
If I didn't have that on copping an insanity pleas would be a cinch, Stephen Gough notwithstanding
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Sandra » Fri Sep 22, 2017 02:45 pm

chrisboote wrote:
phazedout wrote:I think in fairness you'd probably have a hard time convincing anyone most of us lot are sane without costumes on....

The only costume I wear is 'vaguely normal' for work each weekday
If I didn't have that on copping an insanity pleas would be a cinch, Stephen Gough notwithstanding

all I will add is...

Ducks!
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen Table