Discworld

Discworld fans, eh? What are they like?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Discworld fans, eh? What are they like?

Postby Pat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 04:16 pm

Does anyone here remember a speaker who gave a talk on the characteristics of different sorts of fandom at the 2006 or possibly 2008 DW Convention? I can't remember if she was a sociologist or a psychologist but she had interviewed fans of various things and decided DW fans were weird - but nice weird.

Does that ring any bells with anyone? I'd like to refer to her work at my talk in Salisbury.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Re: Discworld fans, eh? What are they like?

Postby phazedout » Tue Oct 24, 2017 09:05 pm

Have you contacted Jacob? he did an entire phd on discworld fandom....
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby chrisboote » Tue Oct 24, 2017 09:19 pm

Surely you keep all your old DWCon programmes?

If you can wait until the weekend, I can check in mine, otherwise Colin keeps them all
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Oct 25, 2017 04:09 am

WEIRD!!!

BUT NICE WEIRD!!!

Works for me. :D

Seriously, you lot are the BEST.

Yes I've had a brandy, but that just restores me to my natural disposition, rather than the grumpy one who had a severely hectic day. Now I'm relaxed and appreciative of all the good things in life, including you.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Molokov » Wed Oct 25, 2017 04:20 am

Hi Pat,

Toni Eager did a survey at the very first Nullus Anxietas in 2007 (as well as hosting a debate of Discworld vs Harry Potter, which Terry came and sat in on, scaring the life out of her). She later presented her research results at NA3 (2011) based on the data collected at that first convention. It was a comparison of pop-culture fans (using Discworld readers as one group) vs Sports fans (Aussie Rules Football, I think). I remember the lecture being fairly fascinating.

You might be able to find her paper (or request it) here: https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/eagar-tm
Nullus Anxietas 7 - The Australian Discworld Convention
12th-14th April 2019
Mantra Bell City, Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Pat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 08:59 am

Molokov wrote:Toni Eager did a survey at the very first Nullus Anxietas in 2007 (as well as hosting a debate of Discworld vs Harry Potter, which Terry came and sat in on, scaring the life out of her). She later presented her research results at NA3 (2011) based on the data collected at that first convention.

That may well be the presentation I'm remembering. I've emailed her. Many thanks!

The message I took away was "Discworld fans are weird. But it's a nice weird."
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:10 am

After the most recent Irish convention, I've kept in touch with a couple of complete convention newbies

Their biggest shock was our complete and unqualified acceptance of anyone

We don't care if they are male, female, both, neither, trans, anything. Or if they are black, white, brown, yellow - one said "even if someone turned up with six legs, green skin and three different gender partners, you lot would be more interested in what they wanted to drink and which TP book they'd read most recently"
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:30 am

chrisboote wrote:After the most recent Irish convention, I've kept in touch with a couple of complete convention newbies

Their biggest shock was our complete and unqualified acceptance of anyone

We don't care if they are male, female, both, neither, trans, anything. Or if they are black, white, brown, yellow - one said "even if someone turned up with six legs, green skin and three different gender partners, you lot would be more interested in what they wanted to drink and which TP book they'd read most recently"
:thumbl: and if they're any good at quizzes . . . :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:06 pm

OK next challenge: What do you think were the best fan tributes to Terry after he died? I've thought of the Brick Lane mural, X-Clacks-Overhead, Pratchett's Disc in Elite and the Octarine Core in Dota-2. Have I overlooked any good ones?
Pat
Monitor

Postby SANEAlex » Wed Oct 25, 2017 06:38 pm

Pat wrote:OK next challenge: What do you think were the best fan tributes to Terry after he died? I've thought of the Brick Lane mural, X-Clacks-Overhead, Pratchett's Disc in Elite and the Octarine Core in Dota-2. Have I overlooked any good
ones?

One i was involved in but only succeeded was because it seems a lot of The Register readers and staff are also Discworld fans was the naming of a High Altitude Ballooning (HAB) mission test.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/2 ... st_flight/

Also there was the attempt to get element 117 named 'Octarine' ultimately unsuccessfully but IIRC it did get a lot people signing the petition.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/1 ... ett_lemmy/

Personally i am rather fond of the X-Clacks-Overhead tribute and its nice to see that the register site amongst others has kept it up though strangely even though the emporiums top level https://www.discworldemporium.com/ returns "+GNU Terry Pratchett" the forum subdomain says "nothing in the overheard"
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Oct 26, 2017 03:06 am

Us staying together.

I was a little afraid that after he passed, we'd lose people, we'd drift apart, but if anything we've pulled together more tightly. The enthusiasm has only gotten louder. We want to not only hang on to what he meant to us, what he gave us, we want to spread it. I have recently given two more people DW books I thought they would like. I am a pusher, and I'll push at anyone who gives the slightest inclination of wanting something good to read. I always wanted to before, but now I'm reckless about it.

"YOU get a book! And YOU get a book! And YOU get a book!"
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby chrisboote » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Us staying together.

:thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl:
chrisboote

Postby Molokov » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 pm

... and if anything, the conventions (and fan scene) seem to be getting *bigger*. It's like Terry's passing brought people out of the woodwork who'd read a few Discworld books years ago, and they came back, read some of the ones they'd missed, and decided to see what the fan scene was like, found out there were specific Discworld conventions and bam: 40% of attendees are newbies!
Nullus Anxietas 7 - The Australian Discworld Convention
12th-14th April 2019
Mantra Bell City, Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sat Oct 28, 2017 01:58 am

I think the evidence of Sir Terry's impact on the world is best seen in the people he touched, and I think that would matter to him way more than any item we could produce. I'm just presuming, of course, I didn't know him as well as some of you, but I really think so.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Return to The Kitchen Table