Discworld

Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sun Jul 08, 2018 09:55 am

Oook!

A friend heard I'm going to the UK and wanted me to ask - what steps does a non European have to take to bring medical Cannabis for strictly personal, medical use? What sort of documents do you need to produce?
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:49 am

Sorry to say I do not think it can be brought in. We're currently getting it reassessed but legally it is currently considered to 'have no medical benefit' therefore an illegal recreational drug.

You can search on line and find the recent news reports of medical cannabis being seized at Heathrow despite it being the only thing that controlled a child's severe epilepsy and being prescribed in Canada.

Do not try, if you do not declare it and it is found at customs you will be treated as a drug smuggler. Not a good start to trip over here.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby steveastrouk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 01:37 pm

"Medical" cannabis is not a term recognised by the UK legal system yet, and certainly not UK border agencies
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 06:35 pm
Location: State College, Pa. USA.

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jul 09, 2018 06:09 am

The above is not strictly true

If it is pure CBD, with no THC at all, is purely for the bearer's use, and has a UK-accepted manufacturer's license (a copy of which your friend will have to bring, along with the ORIGINAL of their prescription) then it seems it is covered by the Human Medicines Regulations 2012

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012 ... tents/made

https://www.release.org.uk/blog/cannabi ... annabidiol
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby Penners » Mon Jul 09, 2018 08:36 am

Might I suggest contacting the Home Office and asking them? Hopefully, they should be able to provide you with all the relevant accurate information needed or at least refer you to the department who can.

UK Home Office
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
User avatar
Penners
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 07:34 pm
Location: Sunny Worthing

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby Pat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 01:10 pm

chrisboote wrote:along with the ORIGINAL of their prescription

How does that work? Surely if the prescription has been dispensed, you won't have it any more.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
User avatar
Pat
Monitor
 
Posts: 13397
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:11 am
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 02:27 pm

In our experience - we carry the next month's prescription and this month's pills. But checking up is always essential - we for fentanyl into Singapore (Death sentence on opiate/opioid smuggling), we needed a special import licence, but even applying was simple and fast. Getting through customs was even faster - we think our name was tagged as following the rules.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
User avatar
Sandra
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:42 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jul 09, 2018 08:04 pm

Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote:along with the ORIGINAL of their prescription

How does that work? Surely if the prescription has been dispensed, you won't have it any more.


Yeah, I know

A friend from South Africa queried this and was told, effectively, "Them's the rules, you sort it out"

It's almost as if they want to make it as impossible as they can without actually banning it

She solved it by taking a copy of her prescription, getting that countersigned by her doctor, and getting that filled, and bringing the original with her, and they STILL tried to confiscate it on arrival until she showed them her printout of the law

Oh yes, PRINT EVERYTHING! You will not be allowed to use a 'phone nor tablet to demonstrate anything at all
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby phazedout » Tue Jul 10, 2018 07:20 am

chrisboote wrote:
Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote:along with the ORIGINAL of their prescription

How does that work? Surely if the prescription has been dispensed, you won't have it any more.


Yeah, I know

A friend from South Africa queried this and was told, effectively, "Them's the rules, you sort it out"

It's almost as if they want to make it as impossible as they can without actually banning it

She solved it by taking a copy of her prescription, getting that countersigned by her doctor, and getting that filled, and bringing the original with her, and they STILL tried to confiscate it on arrival until she showed them her printout of the law

Oh yes, PRINT EVERYTHING! You will not be allowed to use a 'phone nor tablet to demonstrate anything at all

Trust Chirs, I've heard numerous (subsequently amusing, stressful at the time) stories about his adventures with customs and airports in numerous countries, ask him sometime, but be prepared with a drink and a comfy chair, it may take a while.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
User avatar
phazedout
 
Posts: 7482
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 02:15 pm
Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sun Jul 22, 2018 05:48 am

Oook!

The info we found states that anyone travelling to the UK for 3 months or more has to get a license from the UK. But it doesn't say anything about folks travelling for less than one month, like she plans to do.

chrisboote wrote:A friend from South Africa queried this and was told, effectively, "Them's the rules, you sort it out"

It's almost as if they want to make it as impossible as they can without actually banning it

She solved it by taking a copy of her prescription, getting that countersigned by her doctor, and getting that filled, and bringing the original with her, and they STILL tried to confiscate it on arrival until she showed them her printout of the law

Oh yes, PRINT EVERYTHING! You will not be allowed to use a 'phone nor tablet to demonstrate anything at all

I don't suppose you could ask your friend EXACTLY where the law about non-EU citizens is spelled out?
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jul 22, 2018 01:07 pm

Librarians Apprentice wrote:Oook!

The info we found states that anyone travelling to the UK for 3 months or more has to get a license from the UK. But it doesn't say anything about folks travelling for less than one month, like she plans to do.

chrisboote wrote:A friend from South Africa queried this and was told, effectively, "Them's the rules, you sort it out"

It's almost as if they want to make it as impossible as they can without actually banning it

She solved it by taking a copy of her prescription, getting that countersigned by her doctor, and getting that filled, and bringing the original with her, and they STILL tried to confiscate it on arrival until she showed them her printout of the law

Oh yes, PRINT EVERYTHING! You will not be allowed to use a 'phone nor tablet to demonstrate anything at all

I don't suppose you could ask your friend EXACTLY where the law about non-EU citizens is spelled out?


These two (occasionally contradictory) places

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012 ... tents/made

https://www.release.org.uk/blog/cannabi ... annabidiol
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Bringing Medicinal Stuff to the UK

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Wed Aug 01, 2018 06:27 am

Oook!

Well, the good news is they were very sympathetic and almost friendly at Heathrow security and not only didn't arrest us - they were very apologetic and polite through the whole process, since we declared ourselves right away.
The bad news is, showing print-outs that say 2012 doesn't help. And we're going to have to re-pack all our stuff because the nice people put some things in the wrong bag/suitcase when they put it all away for us (good thing we flew in 2 days early).
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Librarians Apprentice
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 06:41 am
Location: Israel


Return to The Kitchen Table

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest