Discworld

The Pet Thread

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

The Pet Thread

Postby Jeanpaul » Tue Jul 10, 2018 08:10 am

Let's talk about pets that are close to your heart, tell us something about your pet. How do you take good care of them, how do you train them? What good memories do you have with your pet?
Jeanpaul

Re: The Pet Thread

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 09:31 pm

My ratties are quite nibbly, they seem to be only interested in my bringing them goodies and they'll nibble any fingers that come near - not hard, but in a way that says 'gimme food'. But besides being pigs rather than rats they are pretty well-behaved.

One got out of the pen area last week while I was cleaning their cage, and instead of making a break for it like the last rat (took us 24 hours to catch him, that's another story), he just sniffed around curiously. I offered him the rat Space Pod to climb into and he went right in. I guess he felt safer in there than in the middle of the floor.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Jeanpaul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 01:53 am

I have a 2-year-old Labrador and I let her wear some clothes because furs are not enough especially in winter. Because of extreme weather condition I'm still looking for some clothes which is perfect for summer season while searching I saw these dog clothing which is perfect for all occasions; whether warm summer days on the water or snuggled up from the coldness of winter. What do you think of dogs having some clothes?
Jeanpaul

Postby I.B.Igor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 06:20 am

We have a seven year old cat called Dinky, she is a caramel tabby, and has been ours since she was a teeny tiny kitten, her other names are Moaning Mytle , as she nags if she isn't getting enough attention. He hobbies are attempting to catch pigeons in the garden, but so far her catch quota is Slow worms, small birds, one frog, and mice, she did try to catch a rat afew years ago, but decided against it. ( we think it snarled at her and she backed off )
She HATES foxes that come in the garden and will gowl, yowl and hiss at them , she is bullied by a big black street cat I call Boris ( think Greebo ) who comes for scraps, and if he appears, she slinks away .

In hot wather she sleeps in the garden, with all her paws int the air, then cools down on the patio, spead out , and looks like road kill. She is demanding, nutty , mental and aloof , she is our fur baby and we love her. :meow:
She gets fed cat food, wet tinned, and dry biscuits, and water,..she is also fed, chicken, beef, salmon, tuna, pilchards, and any table scraps she can manage to bribe me into giving her. We have lunch together every day. :D
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby phazedout » Wed Jul 11, 2018 09:24 pm

I recently moved and, as posted elsewhere, sadly lost one of my kittehs last thursday. This story is about the other kitteh, na'toth.
Shes a giantn ball of calico floof with a super loud purr and a tendnacy to be.. demanding.
I'm in a ground floor apartment and could allow my cats on to the balcony in the previoous apartment as they were too ft to jump over the rail (adopted at ten) now i have a tiny back garden, with a wooden fence surrounding it. howevr therre's a fair sized hap under the fnce out whihc she could squeee, worse, seh's seen the doro open so knos it's a door. Now she will, periodically, go and sit at the door, stare alternately at the handle and me and demand to be let out RIGHt MEEEEOOOWWW
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Sandra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 09:27 pm

see if she is amenable to a harness and leash. Lets her explore while you know she's safe (as will be the local wildlife and your sock drawer)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 12, 2018 03:25 am

I have a 14-year-old fur person, name of Evinrude, Rudy for short, grey domestic shorthair. He was a pound kitty, one of 3 kittens and a mom. He's a touch-me-not cat that hates cuddles but loves to be combed and brushed, and will sleep happily beside me as long as we don't touch. He will sit on the kitchen table and demand treats all day if indulged, but hates any form of people food.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Thu Jul 12, 2018 05:14 am

Oook!

My evil baby is about 5 years old. He was rescued after a major storm, when he was about 2 months old, and we adopted him a few weeks after that.

We've counted about 10 personalities, which is why originally we all named him Pumiki* Julian the Third* Pasta Osama bin Kitton***. Now we just call him Pasta. I tried to make the Julian stick, but no.

He likes to sit on my clothes, especially when I'm getting ready for work, purring and flexing his claws and MAYBE letting me pet him. But if I want to get my clothes out from under him I need to stand back, grab a corner and hope he doesn't try to hang on. Or toss my PJs on him, in which case he may run away; or he may accept my tribute and keep lying there.

I'm also the one who applies the anti-allergen stuff to him every weekend (we call it the 10,000 treatment, like cars get). He makes a big song-and-dance every time I close the bathroom door, but he sulks and bugs me if I don't take care of it by Saturday afternoon - it's also mommy-baby grooming time, which he loves (unless he's in his OMG-she's-trying-to-murder-me personality).

Spikey and Chook (9 years old now) were a package deal when we moved in together.
The boys are now classic big/little-brothers, and are approximately the same size.
boys.jpg

* There was some cartoon when we were little about a pixie with red hair and a mischievous disposition
** He has orange/white rings around his tail, like King Julian in Madagaskar
*** Don't ask me where roommate no. 3 came up with "Pasta", but the rest of it is because he systematically destroyed furnishing and potted plants when we first let him loose around the apartment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sun Sep 02, 2018 06:26 pm

Oook!

New baby in the apartment!!!
pilpelet.gif
This is Pilpelet*
Evil Baby is kind of freaked out, but he's coping by (mostly) pretending she doesn't exist and staying on the other side of the apartment
both cats.gif

It's the dog we're all worried about - he hates it when we have someone cuter him around

* Translates roughly as Pepper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 07:22 pm

:D מזל טוב :D

Awwwww, loving the new kitten - she's gorgeous! :meow:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Sun Sep 02, 2018 08:41 pm

new kitteh was due to arrice tomorrow, but i screwed something up at work friday and have t start early tomrorow so cannot collect
so rearranged mate with car for tuesday, then had a think and realsised i have swedish on tuesday morning untul 9;45 (I start wokr at 11) that's not enough time to fetch ktiteh.

So now he'll be arriving wednesday, his big sister kows nothing of this yet, we shall see how shre reacts
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby merciersj » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 pm

Librarians Apprentice wrote:Oook!

New baby in the apartment!!!
pilpelet.gif
This is Pilpelet*
Evil Baby is kind of freaked out, but he's coping by (mostly) pretending she doesn't exist and staying on the other side of the apartment
both cats.gif

It's the dog we're all worried about - he hates it when we have someone cuter him around

* Translates roughly as Pepper

So cute! Pepper looks like our cat Watson when he was a wee baby child. Kittens are so much fun, I hope the others adjust quickly :)
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods.
They have not forgotten this.
:meow:
merciersj

Return to The Kitchen Table