Discworld

Re: BODIGAN

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 06:10 am

Since when did this forum allow Advertising and trading on an open page? :shock: and were not talking hand made glove puppets here. Thanks Bodigan, who allowed this and why?
Im not impressed.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

BODIGAN

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 06:40 am

sINCE WHEN DID WE ALLOW BLATANT TRADING, AND WERE NOT TALKING HAND MADE GLOVE PUPPETS ON THE FoURUM???
aLSO SINCE i HAVE READ bODIGANS POST i NOW HAVE PARTIAL RUSSIAN FONTS TO THE THREADS ON THE FORUM!
What he heck is going on?????
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 07:19 am

I.B.Igor wrote:Since when did this forum allow Advertising and trading on an open page? :shock: and were not talking hand made glove puppets here. Thanks Bodigan, who allowed this and why?
Im not impressed.

The unpaid volunteer mods trap most of these but one has got through. You don't get to see the ones we stop - which are generally not for office glassware....
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 07:20 am

The Cyrillic font is because he posted using Cyrillic font/Unicode character set. You are seeing message from the Bogdandan account but not the Bogdanof account which, judging by the content, is the same person. I think Bogdandan posts are being accepted because his first post was in English and was a question about how to contact the moderators, whereas Bogdanof first posted in Russian and has been held for review. This is a potential weakness in our defences but th eonly option I can think would be to make the forum locked for new users until they are approved - but that wouldn't have stopped Bogdandan, as his first post was innocuous..

I have to spend the day interviewing but we should be able to clean this up by tonight.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 12, 2018 08:23 am

Both accounts have been removed, as have their posts.

As Pat says, at some points it's a judgement call and the initial post was questionable but not unacceptable. So it got the benefit of the doubt, and sadly proved to be wrong by dropping a spam payload.

But everything is cleaned up now and the accounts are banned. But given how many of these accounts we catch and nuke on a daily basis (usually around 10 or so), consider how deep in such posts this place would be if we didn't filter and act...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 08:45 am

" Hands out Sorry cards " Thanks guys, I apologise for being a tad full on, Hoping my translated russian font for some of the threads revert back to basic english, I can imagine some of the stuff you stop, and see :shock: might need diagrams, and possibly the ability of an acrobat to do , running into such blatant abuse of the forum first thing in the morning got me a tad annoyed. ( along with the conversion to russian on the thread pages did not help )
I owe you both a beer. :oops:
I.B.Igor

Postby Pat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 07:57 am

Another six attempts this morning, all accounts banned and messages removed.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 13, 2018 09:09 am

I've also removed the Cyrillic text from the thread/post titles and replaced it with the other one.

Not sure "Bodyguard" is much of an improvement on "glass sliding doors for shower" (what the current and previous ones are in Russian), but it looks a bit less spammy.

And for anyone who still wants to know how often we have to blitz accounts, just keep an eye on the member list (sorted by most recent joining date)... :twisted:
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:53 pm

Boy that guy is pretty determined.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 14, 2018 06:28 am

These are bots that are constantly learning ways to get around any security that a site puts up to keep them out. There really isn't much you can do about them except to remain vigilant at delete them as soon as possible. Obviously, members must refrain from replying to them and certainly NOT click on any links. Sometimes there aren't any links, but the English is so appalling that one should be suspicious. If in doubt, simply mark the post and leave it to the moderators.

Another thing to be wary of is PMs (Personal Messages) from people you don't know. This is another way they sometimes attack if they can't get onto the message boards proper.
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby I.B.Igor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 03:09 pm

Had a Pm from some dubious russian, delated and unopened. Seem to think I am that gullable twice. :twisted:
I.B.Igor

Postby Darren » Sun Jul 15, 2018 08:22 pm

Do you remember who, so we can check and nuke if not already done?
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jul 15, 2018 08:49 pm

DewittSkilm? That was the name of the spambotski that sent me a pm
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Darren » Sun Jul 15, 2018 08:52 pm

I've banned the account.

If anymore such turn up just let us know and we'll remove them.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby I.B.Igor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 09:08 pm

Will do, no more so far.
I.B.Igor

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table