Discworld

What do the German's call the UK/British Isles?

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

What do the German's call the UK/British Isles?

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 01:29 pm

I'm trying to order a book from abebooks.de and need to enter my location so they can calculate postage.
But I can't see anything in the dropdown list which could be us. There's no Großbritannien or Grossbritannien, no britische Inseln (though it does have Britisches Territorium im indischen Ozean and Britische Virgin-Inseln)

Any suggestions? Or is this part of Brexit - we can't have Discworld novels in German?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Re: What do the German's call the UK/British Isles?

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 01:39 pm

FOUND IT!

It's Vereinigtes Konigreich, obviously!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 18, 2018 04:47 pm

Ah the old United Kingdom vs Great Britain vs England one from website drop-down lists.

Always fun to work out which one they want to use and hunt it down, awkward enough in English let alone in another language...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 08:12 am

Darren wrote:Ah the old United Kingdom vs Great Britain vs England one from website drop-down lists.

Always fun to work out which one they want to use and hunt it down, awkward enough in English let alone in another language...

Note to self: do not browse the Chinese ABE site...

When Windows XP was launched (think it was XP) I went to a launch event and there was a speaker from Microsoft who said they were all sent pre-release copies to try out. XP was the first version to come with all the language packs "in the box", previously if you'd wanted to work in English and French, you bought Windows (UK English) and the French Language pack etc. He was interested to see Windows in Chinese, so he went to Control Panel, Internationalisation, Language, selected Chinese from the dropdown menu, gave it the CD and waited while it reconfigured and rebooted - and bingo! It all worked! He played with it for a while and then thought he had better switch back. So he went to Control Panel, Internationalisation, Language, looked at the drop down list of languages... which was in Chinese.

He had to reinstall Windows in the end!

(Incidentally, he also told us Microsoft had achieved the dream of a virtually paper-free office; in all his years there he'd only had to sign three documents - his employment contract, a Health & Safety form and anothe I can't rememebr - tax related? Everything else was done electronically.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 19, 2018 03:44 pm

I speak from experience, as with my job and travelling I'm forever in hire cars in all sorts of countries. I'm becoming something of a master of setting their dashboard systems etc to English from whatever language they've been provided in.

Normally it's not too bad as they tend to be German, French or Italian, but one a couple of rentals back was for some reason in Norwegian (the rental being in Geneva, go figure...) which threw me a bit of a curve-ball.

That said the tools I work on (and the company I work for) are Japanese and bi-lingual, and the interface can be set to Japanese. It's always the first thing I teach my customers/new colleagues is where to find that menu item, and how to do it (for reference, look for 英語). But given how long I've been using the things and how familiar I am with them, it does earn me a certain amount of kudos for having the ninja skill of actually being able to work the things in Japanese.

I just don't let on that I'm not reading a word, I just know the entire menu system button positioning off by heart and could probably work the thing blindfold.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Pat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 am

I once rented a satnav (in Ireland, I think) which had been set to Korean. Neither I nor the woman at the car rental could reset it - they had to give me anotehr one!
Pat
Monitor

Postby phazedout » Sat Jul 21, 2018 04:40 am

bought a second hand ps3 that was set to finnish.
It took me a literal half hour and faintly remembered finnish words to find the damned language settign for the menu and get it to english.

In it's defence this is more about my utter failure to learn finnish despite living here for four freaing years than it is about the obtuseness of sony menu systems.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Return to The Kitchen Table