Discworld

I can be very slow some times...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

I can be very slow some times...

Postby Pat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 07:03 pm

...I have only just got the "Agatean Empire" pun after something like 30 years...
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Re: I can be very slow some times...

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jul 23, 2018 07:48 pm

Don't feel bad, I only twigged the room of utter silence, wherein no one could stay for more than four minutes and thirty two seconds, just before the last UK Convention
Thirty flippin' three years to get that one!
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby SANEAlex » Mon Jul 23, 2018 08:16 pm

If we are playing top trumps on being slow I only just got a few days ago whilst out on a walk that the stealing from the cabbage growers association in Going Postal was probably a sideways reference to an old school hacking technique for stealing money from banks. What makes this so much worse, Is i was in on a conversation along with a few others with pTerry discussing various hacking techniques that had been used over the years, which with hindsight was probably pTerry doing research, and it might have been me that told him about that one. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Penners » Tue Jul 24, 2018 08:28 am

Pat wrote:...I have only just got the "Agatean Empire" pun after something like 30 years...

I've a feeling that this is yet another one that I missed. Could you tell me what the Agatean Empire pun is please?
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:26 am

Penners wrote:
Pat wrote:...I have only just got the "Agatean Empire" pun after something like 30 years...

I've a feeling that this is yet another one that I missed. Could you tell me what the Agatean Empire pun is please?

Me too! :bounce:

Also, what was the thing about the Gabbage Growers association? I don't remember this one :?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby SANEAlex » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Penners wrote:

Me too! :bounce:

Also, what was the thing about the Gabbage Growers association? I don't remember this one :?

This discworld wiki page describes some of the Agatean Empire stuff Ag also being periodic table letters for gold.

http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Agatean_Empire

On the Cabbage Growers see screen shot from the Movie but better described in the book.

In the early days of bank hacking they tended to use more subtle techniques than the smash and grab transfer funds to the cayman islands used these days.

The cabbage patching hacking technique was to write a little program to transfer the rounding errors on interest on accounts into a separate account and as it was such a small amount nobody would notice it missing from the individual accounts and report it. All well and good and if you were stealing a fraction of a penny from millions of accounts your hacker with a bit of patience could earn a pretty penny. The thing is that the banks relied on the rounding up and rounding down to average out and be roughly fair to everybody so eventually the banks noticed money was going missing from somewhere. Now I say this using the term allegedly as as far as i am aware it has not been officially admitted but rumour had it that in the 80's this happened to the Midland bank as it was then called and it so freaked them out that when they caught the guy involved rather than get him locked up they paid him about 1/2 £Million as a security consultant so that they could prevent it happening again. Over the years there have been a lot of interesting rumours on cover ups involving various banking scams how many of them are really true i can't say but i suspect a lot of hush money was paid to save embarrassment over the years. As i say i think i told pTerry about the cabbage patching technique in a group discussion at one of the events though it might have been someone else but i was aware of it before i ever met pTerry pTerry was very good at research and if you noticed at events over the years he quite often asked interesting questions of various fans some answers of which may have appeared many years later in a book with a slight pTerry twist. My memory is not so good these days but once upon a time it was and there was things that were discussed at the 1st Discworld convention that did not appear in any of the books until more than a decade later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby SANEAlex » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:11 pm

And this is how you can tell my memory is faulty these days Ag is silver its Au that is gold but i did get the Aurient joke at the time
SANEAlex

Postby chrisboote » Tue Jul 24, 2018 01:28 pm

Penners wrote:

China was referred to as The Jade Empire
Agate ~ Jade
chrisboote

Postby steeljam » Tue Jul 24, 2018 08:28 pm

SANEAlex wrote:And this is how you can tell my memory is faulty these days Ag is silver its Au that is gold but i did get the Aurient joke at the time
I always thought that the opposite of the Aurient was the Oxident.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:12 am

chrisboote wrote:
Penners wrote:

China was referred to as The Jade Empire
Agate ~ Jade

Facepalm!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Penners » Wed Jul 25, 2018 07:12 am

Double facepalm!
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 09:53 am

OK, everyone, here's our cover story. We mentally parsed "Agatean" as "Aga-tean", Aga, as in Aga Khan, an honorific title of eastern origin. Perfectly natural mistake to make...
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 am

Pat wrote:OK, everyone, here's our cover story. We mentally parsed "Agatean" as "Aga-tean", Aga, as in Aga Khan, an honorific title of eastern origin. Perfectly natural mistake to make...
^^^What he said!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 am

Pat wrote:OK, everyone, here's our cover story. We mentally parsed "Agatean" as "Aga-tean", Aga, as in Aga Khan, an honorific title of eastern origin. Perfectly natural mistake to make...

Aaaa-ga tean tean tean, pearwood luggage from the tree
Aga tean tean tean, holds my gold and does laundry
Widdershins, and turnwise, travel all around the Disc
Come and holiday with me, I'm a tourist - there's no risk
chrisboote

Postby SANEAlex » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 am

chrisboote wrote:

Aaaa-ga tean tean tean, pearwood luggage from the tree
Aga tean tean tean, holds my gold and does laundry
Widdershins, and turnwise, travel all around the Disc
Come and holiday with me, I'm a tourist - there's no risk

:thumbl:
I was going to try and reverse engineer the Ag silver association in Agatean as being pTerry planning several moves ahead as the Silver Horde eventually became its leaders. But I think we just all have to agree that pTerry was a clever bugger who wrote a number of books that were well worth reading more than once to give a better chance of finding all the intentional hidden gems and even some of the ones that were unintentional lucky coincidences like i think pTerry said of Tiffany's name deeper associations which i think he said he discovered after he choose the name.
SANEAlex

Next

Return to The Kitchen Table