Discworld

I can be very slow some times...

A place to come and chat about anything remotely Discworld, or just the weather.

Re: I can be very slow some times...

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 26, 2018 02:08 pm

SANEAlex wrote:On the Cabbage Growers see screen shot from the Movie but better described in the book.

In the early days of bank hacking they tended to use more subtle techniques than the smash and grab transfer funds to the cayman islands used these days.

The cabbage patching hacking technique was to write a little program to transfer the rounding errors on interest on accounts into a separate account and as it was such a small amount nobody would notice it missing from the individual accounts and report it. All well and good and if you were stealing a fraction of a penny from millions of accounts your hacker with a bit of patience could earn a pretty penny. The thing is that the banks relied on the rounding up and rounding down to average out and be roughly fair to everybody so eventually the banks noticed money was going missing from somewhere.

Wasn't this used in the script in Superman III? (OK I did have to Wiki which one it was...)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 05:03 pm

Sandra wrote:
SANEAlex wrote:On the Cabbage Growers see screen shot from the Movie but better described in the book.

In the early days of bank hacking they tended to use more subtle techniques than the smash and grab transfer funds to the cayman islands used these days.

The cabbage patching hacking technique was to write a little program to transfer the rounding errors on interest on accounts into a separate account and as it was such a small amount nobody would notice it missing from the individual accounts and report it. All well and good and if you were stealing a fraction of a penny from millions of accounts your hacker with a bit of patience could earn a pretty penny. The thing is that the banks relied on the rounding up and rounding down to average out and be roughly fair to everybody so eventually the banks noticed money was going missing from somewhere.

Wasn't this used in the script in Superman III? (OK I did have to Wiki which one it was...)
:thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: Thank you! I couldn't remember either - all I could remember is that it had Richard Prior in it
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby SANEAlex » Thu Jul 26, 2018 09:08 pm

Sandra wrote:

Yes IIRC they did use the technique in the film but i don't think they used the term cabbage patching maybe they heard about what allegedly happened at the Midland & stuck it in the movie it was around that time period IIRC
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Previous

Return to The Kitchen Table